• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wide Angle Portraiture

A few days ago a made a big decision. I gave up 3 lenses for 1 new one.

As of late I have rarely been doing any macro or using the old 135mm f2 ais and the 28mm f2.8 ais just has too many issues in the corners for milky way images.

So I sold the 3 and purchased the new Sigma 20m f1.4 Art. Man this lens is a dream. Beautifully built and sharp at all apertures.

I am headed up to the Minnesota/Candadian border this weekend for the holiday and plan to put the new tool to good use but untill then I will have some fun with wide angle portraiture. Here's the first and ill add a few more for fun.

Nikon Df
Sigma 20mm f1.4 Art
1/400
f1.4
iso 100

Fun Times
27130497596_800014a651_b.jpg

100% crop
27130497716_fc7beb57f2_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A few days ago a made a big decision. I gave up 3 lenses for 1 new one.

As of late I have rarely been doing any macro or using the old 135mm f2 ais and the 28mm f2.8 ais just has too many issues in the corners for milky way images.

So I sold the 3 and purchased the new Sigma 20m f1.4 Art. Man this lens is a dream. Beautifully built and sharp at all apertures.

I am headed up to the Minnesota/Candadian border this weekend for the holiday and plan to put the new tool to good use but untill then I will have some fun with wide angle portraiture. Here's the first and ill add a few more for fun.

Nikon Df
Sigma 20mm f1.4 Art
1/400
f1.4
iso 100

Fun Times
27130497596_800014a651_b.jpg

100% crop
27130497716_fc7beb57f2_b.jpg

Today with rich-in-pixel sensors, we can afford to place people in their environment and so tell a potentially richer, more informative story. The challenge is that it becomes progressively harder to exclude elements that do not have a purpose in the final image.

For sure, the 100% cut out is impressive in itself. A lot of personal power being so close.

I need to take in the first picture and for the moment it is simmering in my brain!

Great new road to travel, Jake!

Today with rich-in-pixel sensors, we can afford to place people in their environment and so tell a potentially richer, more informative story. The challenge is that it becomes progressively harder to exclude elements that do not have a purpose in the final image.

For sure, the 100% cut out is impressive in itself. A lot of personal power being so close.

I need to take in the first picture and for the moment it is simmering in my brain!

Great new road to travel, Jake!

Thanks. I'm really enjoying this lens. I feel at the right distance to subject distance you get sort of a medium format "feel" when shooting at f1.4-f2.

Asher Kelman

Having troubles posting from my phone.

28803472541_e1c50e62f7_b.jpg

Now you have entered a new paradigm, Jake. This is something I wondered about, the perspective in the pictures of Loretta Lux.

What do you think?

Of course you did not have your pictures photoshopped for 18 hours after the pictures was taken, but this has that elusive Loretta Lux "look"!

Asher

Last edited:

Now you have entered a new paradigm, Jake. This is something I wondered about, the perspective in the pictures of Loetta Lux.

What do you think?

Of course you did not have your pictures photoshopped for 18 hours after the pictures was taken, but this has that elusive Loretta Lux "look"!

Asher

I really love the look, feel and perpective this 20mm f1.4 lens gives. I feel like i'm kinda getting the "Brenzier" look right out the camera as well.

Asher Kelman

Having troubles posting from my phone.

It looks like a distance of about 3 meters? Is that correct. So the child is pretty well not distorted and the milieu that gives context, wraps around beautifully in the b.g.

So what is this sweet distance?

Asher