• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sphere

This is an interesting sculpture at Trinity College in Dublin by an artist named Arnaldo Pomodoro. It is entitled "Sphere Within a Sphere" but from this angle you cannot see the one inside. We walked the campus on a drizzly afternoon.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is an interesting sculpture at Trinity College in Dublin by an artist named Arnaldo Pomodoro. It is entitled "Sphere Within a Sphere" but from this angle you cannot see the one inside. We walked the campus on a drizzly afternoon.

What a fabulous image, James!

This is so fascinating at the initial experience where it appears that the markings on the concrete surface below were custom designed as part of the artwork to fit perfectly with the lines engraved on the lower part of the steel sphere.

But actually, there are, likely as not no engravings on the steel as it seems to be, instead, mirror polished steel in which we see the reflections of the underlying marks in the concrete!

This idea is very much a parable to how we view each other. The initial impressions are delusional!

Now as to the interior? I will need to meditate further!

Meanwhile be safe on your journey

Asher

Michael Nagel

Interesting sculpture in an equally interesting setting. It seems that the sculpture exists in several sizes on different places of this planet.

Different artist and different subject but I see some common points in the visual concept here.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

James,

The detail inside is entirely unexpected. The nearest thing I could imagine, (as it has skin of a fruit), would be an electronic pomegranite!

Is there an official guide to the structure?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well, of course one can do a look-up, LOL!

Here's a wonderful description of another of the artist's orbs at the Vatican. The globe appears to represent the planet, but cracked, and the inside might be a clock or piano mechanism.

In all it could represent destruction of the earth. But why the "Sphere within a sphere"? What might that inner sphere add in meaning?

Asher

Thanks Michael. That is a very interesting piece. We of course have one famous one here in Chicago that looks like a giant bean.

Very correct Asher. The Sphere is made from what looks to be copper and it is highly polished except of course for the cut out areas where you can see the mechanics or pomegranate seeds if you will. Unfortunately I do not have a guide of any kind but I will see what I can find out. I'm sure that the base that the sphere sits on had to be from the artist as well. It all goes together too perfectly to have just been luck. I too like the converging lines from the ground and the sphere. I only wish I had taken more photos from all around it instead of just this one. Google "Pomodoro Sphere" and click images to get a thousand more examples.
Thank you both for looking and commenting. My next door neighbors just left for the airport on their first ever trip to Ireland. I'm happy for them but selfishly wish it were us going back instead. 2019 is our next trip over. Next year it's the Carolinas.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

......... I'm sure that the base that the sphere sits on had to be from the artist as well. It all goes together too perfectly to have just been luck. I too like the converging lines from the ground and the sphere..

James,

Unless you felt the groves are engraved in the sphere, I rather think that what we see is merely a reflection of the markings on the concrete and the steel is perfectly smooth and merely mirror polished!

Asher

Asher Kelman

The size is just right for "massivity", somethings way beyond the strength of even a group of men!

Asher