• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Olympus Zuiko ED 14-35mm f2.0 (autofocus problem)

I first recognized frontfocus / autofocus problems during a shooting on location under available light conditions. E-3 focused quickly and without hunting for focus. Everytime the focus was not where it should have been. I have chosen a single AF point to get precise focus at the eyes of the model - but in the picture the focus was 20-30 cm in front! I only managed to get the job done with my Zuiko 50mm f2.0 macro lens without autofocus errors. At home again I tried the 14-35mm lens with my E-510 and the E-3 with middle focus AF point selected...

E-3_frontfocus.jpg

E-3 with Zuiko ED 14-35mm f2.0

E-510_focus_ok.jpg

E-510 with Zuiko ED 14-35mm f2.0

I have sent the E-3 with 14-35mm lens to Olympus Repair Service in Hamburg with detailed error description and sample pictures. Olympus sent camera and lens back to me within two weeks. In the repair status sheet they wrote something about a firmware upgrade. They even provided the usual focus testchart test picture, taken at closeup distance. Everything seemed fine - I thought....

But when I did some test pictures, camera monted on tripod, I could reproduce the front focus error again... even worse!!!

Camera mounted on tripod, middle single AF point selected, or single upper AF point selected (in portrait orientation), lens focus ring turned to unfocus the picture, then autofocus by tipping the shutter, then taking the pichture...

test1_after_repair.jpg

E-3 with Zuiko ED 14-35mm f2.0 - middle single AF point selected

test2_after_repair.jpg

E-3 with Zuiko ED 14-35mm f2.0 - single upper AF point selected

I am unsure if I should try to get a second repair or if I should return the lens? Up to now I am so confused about what I can expect from Olympus Repair Service. I did wait very long time for this lens being available and I wanted this lens to take pictures (portrait) under available light conditions with almost open aperture. I know that there is shallow dof, but I definitively want the focus where it belongs to - and not inaccurate 20-30cm in front.

Karsten

Karsten, there are a couple of threads on dpreview regarding AF-focus error of the E-3 in low light and low contrast situations and at the longer focal lengths in combination with the 14-35 f2.

There seems to be a technical fix, some have sent there lens back to Japan and report the issue as resolved (the lens was modified, not a firmware up-date only). On the other hand Olympus seems to have figured out the issue and announced a firmware up-date for the E-3 coming march.

All owners report btw that getting the lens fixed was very worthed as they report it is a magnificent piece of glass.

Another group in the meantime also report 14-35 f2 to be without issues on their E-3's. So some have speculated it is a combination or earlier E-3 bodies with the 14-35 only. A|s the performance on the E-510 seems to be in order this may be something you would like to check.

A link to a dpreview thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=29991880&changemode=1

Hope this helps.

Martin

I am unsure if I should try to get a second repair or if I should return the lens? Up to now I am so confused about what I can expect from Olympus Repair Service. I did wait very long time for this lens being available and I wanted this lens to take pictures (portrait) under available light conditions with almost open aperture. I know that there is shallow dof, but I definitively want the focus where it belongs to - and not inaccurate 20-30cm in front.

Hi Karsten,

Focusing on an oblique surface is not the best behaved test one could do (even though one would expect it to do a decent job). That's why several new testmethods evolved (e.g. the Autofocus Lens Align Target). This 'parallel to the (AF)sensor surfacë' approach take the guesswork out of these tests.

I must say that since I've purchased an AutoFocus MicroAdjustable (AFMA) camera (Canon 1Ds3), I've been even more certain than ever before, AFMA is a necessity if one wants to rule out the variability introduced by the 'Repair services' offerings.

Bart

no news at all :-(

I must say that since I've purchased an AutoFocus MicroAdjustable (AFMA) camera (Canon 1Ds3), I've been even more certain than ever before, AFMA is a necessity if one wants to rule out the variability introduced by the 'Repair services' offerings.

I am very sorry to let you all know that there is no news at all - and no news is bad news:

I have sent the lens to my dealer at 30. december 2008. He promised to talk to Olympus about this serious issue, but up to now no response from Olympus. This is definitely not my understanding of professional service. :-((((

In january 2009 I decided to sell most of my Olympus equipment and now I am so dissapointed about this issue and want to get rid of my E-3 also. So thats it, I have finished with Olympus.

Karsten

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm surprised that other Olympus users haven't jumped in. Olympus cameras have a pedigree of some of the smallest and finest lenses and they are pretty weatherproof. It's so hard to believe that they would ignore a problem with AF!

Asher

There is quite some debate in dpreview Oly forum on this issue. In the end some get good results, some don't.

I am afraid I can not offer any personal experience with Oly bright lenses and the users of this quality glass may not be as visible as Rob Galbraith ..

But the general consensus seems to be that:
- Oly support is not doing a good job on this issue mostly related to the E-3
- even with the new firmware 1.3 some see an improvement, some report the situation to get worse
- some find effective work arounds. i.e. apply continous AF and set AF sensor size to small. But the E-3 has lots of settings to fine tune for specific use and not every users reaches a setting to his liking.

So some may be regarded by Oly as "user error" and some may actually be gear related. But all find it such a disapointment as the lenses are delivering very good quality. And the range is comprenhensive for most applications. The bright f2 lenses seemed to be worth some extra effort but the users of these pro grade (and pro priced) lenses expect better support.

Maybe it is time to lend Rob Galbraith an E-3 for a couple of weeks ..

BTW, by the 28th of feb there is supposed to be some more pre-PMA Oly news..

Martin

Olympus announces the E-620

Today the Olympus fora are red hot .. as olympus announces the E-620. A new feature loaded advanced consumer camera.

Why here in this thread? Well even this consumer grade body ($699 body) will feature AF adjustment with a memory for 20 lenses.

Exciting stuff for Olympus users around.

Martin

still waiting for the repair of my 14-35mm lens

E-620 ... will feature AF adjustment with a memory for 20 lenses.

I doubt that this will correct the error I have with my 14-35mm f2.0 lens. Closeup focus under good lighting conditions seemed quite ok, but under available light conditions the error was very present and varying, mostly 30 cm in front.

I am so dissapionted about this issue and also want to make clear that I did like the E-1 and E-3 with all the "Super High Grade" lenses (7-14mm, 35-100mm, 150mm) I have had from Olympus so far. But the 14-35mm is such a dissapointment because of af focus error, even though this lens performs optically very well.

I have sold my Olympus equipment and am still waiting for the repair of my 14-35mm lens. Will I buy the E-620? Probably not! If my lens ever returns from Olympus (or from my dealer who has sent it to Olympus) I will get rid of that lens as soon as possible.

Karsten

I can immagine your disapointment, nothing more irritating then a camera working against you in stead of with you. Sorry to see of all of the wonderfull kit had to go.

I have suggested to Ian Burley from Four Thirds User forum to include this issue as a subject for his upcomming PMA-interview with Olympus senior manager Akira Watanabe. This as I think that Olympus gear in so many ways can be a true or even better alternative to the other main brands. But then of course the support needs to be there as well. Maybe it even needs to be a notch better to pamper those who have gone against the grain and selected Olympus. In the end their work, like yours, is the real promotor of a camera system.

thanks, Martin

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Finally I got a replacement 14-35mm lens, new and unused. I will sell this one at eBay soon, as I do not want to test if the autofocus works well this time.

Karsten

I'm glad you got the replacement. Certainly you have done a lot of work to deal with this problem. Still, think of this, Canon still makes screw ups like that! The new 1DIII had focus problems for tracking fast moving objects and only now is it perhaps addressed properly. I'm as sorry as you that Olympus has not served your needs right now. If they don't respond faster, they wont survive. Pity is, Olympus has all the experience and skills to be a leader.

Asher