• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"2k" and "4k" image size families

Doug Kerr

Especially in connection with "digital cinematography" and "digital cinema", we often hear of cameras, projectors, and the like being capable of handing "2k" or "4k" images.

These terms simply mean that the width of the image format is in the general area of 2048 px or 4096 px, respectively. The corresponding height is of course a function of the aspect ratio involved.

The notation is based on the widespread, but unattractive, convention in which the prefix "kilo", abbreviated "k", is used to mean a multiple of 1024. It is often used in connection with bits or bytes, essentially never for hertz, volts, or sheep, and sometimes for pixels.

Of course the standard prefix for a multiplier of 1024 is "Kibi", abbreviated "Ki".

Thus we can say that image formats in the "4k" family have a width in the general vicinity of 4 Kipx.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Especially in connection with "digital cinematography" and "digital cinema", we often hear of cameras, projectors, and the like being capable of handing "2k" or "4k" images.

These terms simply mean that the width of the image format is in the general area of 2048 px or 4096 px, respectively. The corresponding height is of course a function of the aspect ratio involved.

The notation is based on the widespread, but unattractive, convention in which the prefix "kilo", abbreviated "k", is used to mean a multiple of 1024. It is often used in connection with bits or bytes, essentially never for hertz, volts, or sheep, and sometimes for pixels.

Of course the standard prefix for a multiplier of 1024 is "Kibi", abbreviated "Ki".

Thus we can say that image formats in the "4k" family have a width in the general vicinity of 4 Kipx.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug, I see a lot of ABB and Siemens electrical equipment around here using KV.
I have also seen Khz used for frequency measurement quite frequently.
I also use always kg for kilogram = 1000 grams.

Contrary to the US we use cms, mts. grams and kilograms. Joules and kilo joules.

The bit notation originates due to the exponent of the number 2 ( binary ). And has a different usage
not related to the powers of ten that all the ' rest ' of us use for measurement and weights. I only have ten fingers!! It comes natural to me. For two fingered people binary would be a cinch.
For 8 fingered people well octal, for 16 fingered people well you know..

I refer to the ' k ' as = 1000. As it should be.