• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Near Andechs

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just a view from yesterday:
l

Michael,

This is an unusually rich image with an ability to return a dizen times and have a different take on the order of things. It has enough sky to make an image of the trees work and so much interest in the small but sharply detailed farm building, that we can just frame our attention around it, ignoring everything above, and let time go by. It's unique in this regard and it's worth of keeping and sharing.

Kudos!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Thanks - I was somehow aware that this could have been at least to different pictures, but kept the framing like this.

BTW - was this the inspiration for the autumn challenge?

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Asher,

Thanks - I was somehow aware that this could have been at least to different pictures, but kept the framing like this.

Michael,

I'm interested in how we build pictures. In Peter Brueghel's time, they saw things, taking in simultaneous activity and these "multi centric" interests, allowed for wide angle compositions, linked by some current or flow of angles and shapes. Then with portraits and advertisements we tend to focus on just one or two ideas at a time. Here, what's so fascinating to me is that one can shift one's attention and have a different image in one's mind, by changing emphasis, but there are no people doing things to divide the frame into dramatic regions as the old Flemish masters did.

BTW - was this the inspiration for the autumn challenge?

It was on my mind, Michael, but the leaves I discovered were not good enough to go with this picture. A really paltry autumn harvest we have here, LOL!!

Asher

Michael,
I love these,
There is a sense of calm because of the orderliness of the features. It's feels like the crops are in, the fields are mowed and now we can sit back and relax. Really very good work!

Michael Nagel

Asher - this is closely related to the way each one of us sees the things around.

Maggie- Thank you. Yes, sitting back and relax came to my mind as well, but not entirely related to the picture ;)

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Fahim,

Thanks, but for the Autobahn you can see here.

Not far, but not that close.

You can reach it easily by public transport from Munich, that is more intriguing than the Autobahn I think...

Best regards,
Michael

Just a view from yesterday:

Best regards,
Michael

I love the use of the rule of thirds here with the closer hill forming the dividing line for the lower third. And I'm not accustomed to portrait-framed landscapes, but I can tell that I'll start looking for them! Love the crisp focus on the farmhouse, and the complementary directions of the waving crop lines. Beautiful.

Antonio Correia

Even going for walks in the fields - and we do them frequently - I rarely make pictures of it.

How wrong I am ! I must do it in the next opportunity. Then, I will be able to show you how different the fields are here.

I like very much the second image in spite of the car LOL

Good work Michael ! :)

Michael Nagel

I love the use of the rule of thirds here with the closer hill forming the dividing line for the lower third. And I'm not accustomed to portrait-framed landscapes, but I can tell that I'll start looking for them! Love the crisp focus on the farmhouse, and the complementary directions of the waving crop lines. Beautiful.

Hi John,

I did not have the rule in mind while composing, but maybe it was subconscious...

I had it in my mind for this one.

Now for the portrait-framed landscape: I do not shoot lanscape in portrait format just because, it is more the occasion that makes me choose this view. Sometimes it may look unusual, but also just right (for me at least).

Here are four examples:

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Hi Antonio,

Thanks!

Yes - show me you fields. Sometimes hings seem mundane but when you take a second look you find more beauty than expected.

For the car - I wanted to have it in the frame. The landscape was also shaped by human presence and this is an even stronger witness than the road and wayside shrines.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

:

Michael,

This picture has something I find especially impressive. "A Rock"? Yes, but surely it's more than that. There may be other ideas it induces because of it's shape and content. Makes me think of a location where people might reach on a climb and stop to commemorate some milestone.

The inclusion in the composition of a near-ground element, the rocks on the right! It resembles an alter, memorial or part of a crucifix with offerings of plants.

Maybe others might describe this differently, but the arrangement if very appealing.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

The rather laconic title was intended. I did not see what you saw, but rather a rock with a hill (made of rock, but not visible under the grass) as near backdrop and the Alps (made out of rock as you guessed correctly) behind. This was my line of view.

Note for Nicolas: K-5 and DA 14/2,8

Best regards,
Michael