• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"The Horsemen of the Apocalypse" or a Challenge to SNS HDR?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There's a new attempt, promoted in Luminous Landscape, to use Photomatix Pro and get normal looking full range of color, light and tone. It involves using multiple outputs from from Lightroom! There's a lot of drive and effort in this woekflow and the generous sharing of several scripts for automating the process somewhat in OS 10. Still, despite this Herculean effort, one might ask, "Why on earth there's a fixation to Photomatix Pro and no mentions of SNS HDR?"

Aside: I'm wondering about both the end result of this major effort as well as the mental attitude of humans in dealing with problem-solving. Scientists thought, (myself amongst them), that Herpes viruses cause Cancer of the Uterine Cervix, then that's what all that research is about. All other avenues are excluded. It becomes an almost religious exercise of devotion! In fact, just looking at another virus, human Papilloma virus, solved the problem of that cancer, and a good vaccine is available for all. But what's it about us, well-trained competent humans, that we seem to look for answers in the fluff in our belly buttons? That really puzzles me about our brains. Do we just have a built in weakness for belief in concepts we already own?

In the LL article, there's no mention of SNS-HDR that I noticed in the well written LL article. Read Vegard Brenna's well written and illustrated workflow for HDR, "HDR Workflow For The Rest Of Us" here! Is it a worthy challenge to SNS-HDR or a proof of our flawed race to delusion in solving problems?

BTW, Vegard explains missing the other competent HDR software, "HDR Expose 2", by the fact that it has only recently been released. But there's no mention at all of the highly regarded and masterful SNS HDR, which should could have made all the work unnecessary.... or not?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

There's a new attempt, promoted in Luminous Landscape, to use Photomatix Pro and get normal looking full range of color, light and tone. It involves using multiple outputs from from Lightroom! There's a lot of drive and effort in this woekflow and the generous sharing of several scripts for automating the process somewhat in OS 10. Still, despite this Herculean effort, one might ask, "Why on earth there's a fixation to Photomatix Pro and no mentions of SNS HDR?"

Aside: I'm wondering about both the end result of this major effort as well as the mental attitude of humans in dealing with problem-solving. Scientists thought, (myself amongst them), that Herpes viruses cause Cancer of the Uterine Cervix, then that's what all that research is about. All other avenues are excluded. It becomes an almost religious exercise of devotion! In fact, just looking at another virus, human Papilloma virus, solved the problem of that cancer, and a good vaccine is available for all. But what's it about us, well-trained competent humans, that we seem to look for answers in the fluff in our belly buttons? That really puzzles me about our brains. Do we just have a built in weakness for belief in concepts we already own?

In the LL article, there's no mention of SNS-HDR that I noticed in the well written LL article. Read Vegard Brenna's well written and illustrated workflow for HDR, "HDR Workflow For The Rest Of Us" here! Is it a worthy challenge to SNS-HDR or a proof of our flawed race to delusion in solving problems?

BTW, Vegard explains missing the other competent HDR software, "HDR Expose 2", by the fact that it has only recently been released. But there's no mention at all of the highly regarded and masterful SNS HDR, which should could have made all the work unnecessary.... or not?

Asher
As a regular reader of LuLa, I have read the article you refer to. I applaud the effort put into it by the author and I am certain that it will deliver great results for a Photomatix workflow. I have been a serious user of Photomatix in the past. However, I have never once used it since I have started using SNS-HDR. I have just moved on and never looked back, the difference in IQ is very substantial. So my take on this "Herculean effort" to get Photomatix produce the images shown in the article (which IMO are mediocre compared to what SNS-HDR would have produced) speaks for itself. :)

Re. the LR workflow, I also export multiple tifs from LR to SNS-HDR to start the tone mapping process. But this is not a huge effort, just a few clicks actually.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,

As a regular reader of LuLa, I have read the article you refer to. I applaud the effort put into it by the author and I am certain that it will deliver great results for a Photomatix workflow. I have been a serious user of Photomatix in the past. However, I have never once used it since I have started using SNS-HDR. I have just moved on and never looked back, the difference in IQ is very substantial. So my take on this "Herculean effort" to get Photomatix produce the images shown in the article (which IMO are mediocre compared to what SNS-HDR would have produced) speaks for itself. :)

Re. the LR workflow, I also export multiple tifs from LR to SNS-HDR to start the tone mapping process. But this is not a huge effort, just a few clicks actually.

Cem,

I feel sorry for the effort which could be better put into getting new insights into SNS HDR; the more users the better! I don't use Lightroom for anything. Am I missing out? Is it providing something different than Photoshop in quality or convenience to get the output you need?

BTW, have you looked at the other HDR program, HDR Expose 2 that he mentions?

Asher