• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lightroom 4 beta

Cem_Usakligil

I am actually surprised that nobody has yet mentioned the new beta of Light room 4 in the forums. Did somebody try it already? If so, what do you think about it?

I have been trying it since it came out. I am very impressed by the soft proof functionality. But less happy with the changes made to the exposure controls and the fact that the beta crashes regularly on my computer.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am actually surprised that nobody has yet mentioned the new beta of Light room 4 in the forums. Did somebody try it already? If so, what do you think about it?

I have been trying it since it came out. I am very impressed by the soft proof functionality. But less happy with the changes made to the exposure controls and the fact that the beta crashes regularly on my computer.

Cem,

I'm sure Nicolas has some experience on it already. First thing I want to know is this. Will it support tethered shooting under Mac OS Lion?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Cam someone try shooting tethered on Lightroom Beta 4?

Asher

Why don't you download it and try for yourself? I am curious why you want to shoot tethered in LR? There are other tools such as the free utility from Canon, which provides much better functionality than LR.

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Cem,

I've been playing around with it for a few days now. Haven't looked much at the new 'Book' module yet, and have instead spent time in the Develop module and the Map Module. Sorry Asher, haven't tried tethered yet either.

Most of my photos are landscapes, so the Map module is nice addition for me. I'm normally quite good at putting the metadata into my images, but being able to browse geographically using Google Maps data is nice. Of course my images don't have GPS embedded by default, so it's been a case of dragging images onto the correct location first, but to be truthful this hasn't been too much of a hardship.

At first I didn't like the re-worked sliders in the develop module, especially the new style clarity, but now that I've spent more time with them I think I'm actually getting better results quicker. To me, the ability to pull up detail from the shadows without artifacts/halos is now much improved, and in general there seems to be better highlight protection as you move the sliders. Individual point curves for RGB channels are a nice addition for those occasions where they're useful.

Agree that soft-proofing looks well though out and well implemented - a nice addition.

No crashes for me yet! Vista 64-bit on a Core2Duo. Just ordered a new WIndows 7 PC though (i7 2600), so we'll see what happens with that!

Would be interested to hear thoughts from others who tried it,
Andrew.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Why don't you download it and try for yourself? I am curious why you want to shoot tethered in LR? There are other tools such as the free utility from Canon, which provides much better functionality than LR.

Cem,

When Adobe solves the large list of bugs, tethering will be reinstated and that will signal most of the work needed is done. :)

Asher