• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Creating Multi-page PDF files

Robert Watcher

I THINK THAT THIS BIT OF INFO MAY BE PARTICULARLY UEFUL TO PHOTOGRAPHERS.

So I have just finished the first Travel Book based on our (Anne and I) experiences living for extended periods of time in countries such as Costa Rica and Nicaragua. When all was said and done yesterday, I decided that I would do a screen capture of every one of the pages spreads and combine them into a pdf in order to have a digital copy of the project.

In times past I have been able to do this using Photoshop, and so was surprised to find that in my current version of CS4 - both the create pdf as well as the create contact sheet - have been removed. And so after all of the work of pasting 40 layers (one for each double page spread) into a new document, I at least wanted to save each one so that I didn't have to start all over again when I find out how to create the PDF in the future.

That is fair bit of work to do manually, and so a Google search helped me out by showing me how to use a premade script that already exists in Photoshop - to automate the process. It is File > Scripts > Export Layers to File. I first saved the set as PSD and then after I did some more digging and realized that there was no way that would be able to get Photoshop to create the PDF, went back in and ran the script again - this time svaing to JPEG.

Now back to the task at hand. I came across an online post about using the Command Line in ImageMagick. This is an application that is included with many web hosting accounts and so I have worked with it using the PHP language that I am familiar with. But I am not a Command Prompt user and get lost in that archaic lingo. But I have in fact done some previously when working with video using the ffmpeg application - - - and I realized the power these programs have to accomplish any task one wants.

I wasn't aware that Imagemagick could be downloaded and run from the computer. So I went to the provided url (http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php) and installed it on my desktop. Then it was a matter of figuring out how to write the code that would get me to the directory where the saved jpg files of the book page spreads, were stored. After an hour I was traversing through my computer folders like I was a pro.

Fortunately, the thread I found provided the exact code that I needed to transfer all of the jpg files into one pdf file. It is actually quite simple once I got my head around it - and it works as effortlessly and flawlessly as did the time that I used ffmpeg to extract individual video frames, reorder them, or turn a set of jpegs into an animated video. While other programs (most of which use these libraries to accomplish their task) may be able to accomplish some of the processing tasks required - if a bit of time is spent learning how to write the command lines necessary to do almost any task imaginable - - - it is very satisfying and you feel that you have a power beyond what any commerical program can provide.

Of course I can never remember these lines of code - and there is no need for anyone to. That is why I am writing it down in this thread, so that I can call on it when in the future I desire to creat another PDF file from a set of JPG files. Actually I think that it is something I will do more often now that I am able to:

To create a multi-page PDF file from all JPEG files in the current directory run :
Code:
convert *.jpg file.pdf

To convert file1.jpg file2.jpg file3.jpg to file.pdf run
Code:
convert file1.jpg file2.jpg file3.jpg file.pdf

---------

To use ImageMagick after you have downloaded and installed it. With a PC : in your Windows DropDown, go to All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. A black box will open with a DOS style prompt. If it starts at your C: drive, you need to change the directory to where the files are stored. In my case, they were stored on my Desktop in a folder named "temp". I got there by typing after the C:\> that displays

Code:
C:\>cd Users\Rob\Desktop\temp

"cd" stands for change directory. To work back out of the directories one at a time, use "cd.."

The prompt then displayed:
Code:
C:\Users\Rob\Desktop\temp>
putting me the directory where my book page files could be accessed and converted. right after that prompt, I simply typed in the "convert" code that is provided above.

All together the code I typed in looked like this (cannot copy and paste the code in)
Code:
C:\Users\Rob\Desktop\temp>convert *.jpg file.pdf

VOILA - I checked back into the temp folder and there was a brand new PDF file sitting there - perfectly formed with all of my 40 pages ready to open in Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Jerome Marot

Obviously, this tutorial is very dependent on what software is installed on your windows PC and won't work under other operating systems.

On OS X, preview can create multi-page pdf files. On Linux, there are various ways to do so, but I would need to look it up.

Robert Watcher

Obviously, this tutorial is very dependent on what software is installed on your windows PC and won't work under other operating systems.

On OS X, preview can create multi-page pdf files. On Linux, there are various ways to do so, but I would need to look it up.

Imagemagick is the software - - - and can be installed and works on any operating system - Unix, Mac OS and PC. It is one of the core graphics applications on most web servers (Unix) so that images can be effortlessly batch processed, manipulated, resized, resampled, combined, watermarked, drop shadows, converted to black and white, combined with text, and the list goes on and on.

It's not for the faint at heart - but it works wonderfully - as does ffmpeg.

Hello there!

Just to point out that The contact sheet is now on Bridge (which comes with Photoshop) and can be found under the "output" module.

see screenshots attached (PSCS4):

screenshot-output.jpg

There is also a very powerful output module in Lightroom (about same UI as Bridge)

You can of course create multi page PDF with Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Robert Watcher

Just to point out that The contact sheet is now on Bridge (which comes with Photoshop) and can be found under the "output" module.

Yes I found that out the other day. After using Bridge almost every day, I had no idea until I was researching this topic. What a rigmarole trying to find it though.

You can of course create multi page PDF with Adobe Acrobat Pro.

True - and who has or wants to invest in that program to create the odd pdf file. It depends on your needs I suppose.

In this case, I was in a pinch where I needed to put together a pdf after I had arduously create 40, 1920x1600 screen captures and pasted them all as layers into a new Photoshop document. I was expecting to be able to just go to File and create the pdf as I used to do in earlier versions of Photoshop - - - but the function was missing. When I Googled, I found that Adobe had taken out what was there before in both the pdf and contact sheet (which I used to use regularly for proofsheets a few years ago). Obviously Adobe in their wisdom, felt that we should be forced to purchase their Adobe Acrobat Pro product at $450.00 US.

from what I have read, it appears that Adobe have resinded and have returned the functionality for creating a PDF presentation of layer comps in CS6 extended.

At any rate - thanks so much for your reply Sandrine. Good info to know.

In Fact I think that the instant they decide to change the functions , they transferred it to Bridge, there was a time I didn't use bridge at all since I had a lot of issues (crash) resolved with a newer version... (I was used to Image ready at the time, I must admit I spent whole 6 days to find out that there was a panel with that purpose now plus the invaluable "save for web" now)

I bought a little book on ACR and Bridge and hell, it saved my life! Now I am able to use Lightroom (which which I am making slideshows now with the same "output" function) because it's so logically the same.

But I am the kind the reads the help files. Yes I know, weird ;)

I had a sort of nutty idea...

Why don't you collate a book with Blurb, (or any other company), order for close to nothing an "electronic version"- using bookify, their software, no PDF involved, as they don't keep your books alive if you don't order something. It acts as a back up, with all the layout, you got at least a place to save the book, independent from your system, and you can keep it private.