• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

645D shown in "Chasseur d'Images" Magazine April Issue

Well, looks like it is getting closer to a reality, as "Chasseur d'Images" Magazine April 2007 issue is showing it. This is the number "1" Photography magazine in Europe. This is the classic procedure as I have seen it in the past with other camera introductions. Kodak 31.6 mega pixel sensor CF and SD card slots and very large viewing screen. I have attached the article from the issue.

http://forums.photographyreview.com/showthread.php?p=200356#post200356

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chasseur is always ahead of the curve. Sometimes it's rumor but most times they're reporting the inside scoop. This time it is the truth and really good news.

There's no reason to not to believe that this camera will be a winner. Out of the gate at 31.6MP is great. However, what else do we know in terms of image BIT depth, ISO, flash synch, noise and so forth.

Then, assuming all is wonderful, will one get the best results with existing lenses or will Pentax deliver a new line of lenses. Lastly, how will this compete price wise?

For $16,000 it would sell like hot cakes!

However, that may not be their model!

Asher

Last edited:
Price..

Chasseur is always ahead of the curve. Sometimes it's rumor but most times they're reporting the inside scoop. This time it is the truth and really good news.

There's no reason to not to believe that this camera will be a winner. Out of the gate at 31.6MP is great. However, what else do we know in terms of image BIT depth, ISO, flash synch, noise and so forth.

Then, assuming all is wonderful, will one get the best results with existing lenses or will Pentax deliver a new line of lenses. Lastly, how will this compete price wise?

For $16,000 it would sell like hot cakes!

However, that may not be their model!

Asher

Hello Asher;

When I met with Pentax, they mentioned a four and not a five figure number...But, I am just the messenger so don't "Shoot the Messenger"

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyle Nagel

Back when the 18mp sensor was being considered I had heard a $3xxx selling price from a contact that wishes to remain nameless, so Ben's four figure number for the 31mp is probably fairly accurate, though I'm sure it would be at least double the 18mp number I had heard.

Kyle

Asher Kelman

Well, if that's the case, Kyle and Benjamin, this is a new world, akin to the birth of the D30 which brought digital photography into the real professional work in every field.

Imagine an $8,000 to $9500 31MP MF camera! Wow!

This is simply a blast and something very serious for Sinar, Leaf, Phase One, Mamiya who must adjust or at least sell as many real units from June to the fall and then the prices must drop!

Hasselblad owners already have gone for a proven integrated system and they might be immune.

However, once people believe and understand the new landscape, then people who are planning to migrate upwards to larger file size, better dynamic range, and tonality might wait.

It's been a long journey back to the professional front line for Pentax, but if they have done it right as with the K10D then even the expected 1DsIII buyers might look at Pentax too.

If this is indeed confirmed, I cannot thing of any news more important to the professional and serious enthusiast photogapher.

Of course, I'd like to now know when we can see it avaialble, flash synch speed, frame rates, ISO range, shot to shot times and noise and of course images to examine!

So yes, this appears wonderful, just let me know it's really true!

Asher

I really appreciate your analogy to the Canon D30. I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head with that statement. Personally however, I think the figure you have sited may be a bit high...None the less, this Fall should be rather interesting to say the least and not only for MF!

Ben

Asher Kelman

Could you enumerate for us your best informed guesses or estimation with whatever intelligence you have gathered on the price and release date?

Asher

Price....???

Could you enumerate for us your best informed guesses or estimation with whatever intelligence you have gathered on the price and release date?

Asher

It will be more than a "Buck-Fifty" and less than a "Lear Jet"...I really can't say right now. Look, I think Pentax are getting pretty aggressive and wish to convert some of the N&C pro users to switch to their brand. Logic dictates that if they wish to do that, they would have to come in at a similar price to what the pro's are paying for their own "Home" brand...Now if that isn't a hint, I don't know what! I don't think Pentax are considering 'Blad as their major competition. I would suggest and this is only my opinion, that they are looking for a broader more comprehensive solution for professionals in all venues not just the studio. This analysis does not just relate to the 645D...

Kyle Nagel

As Ben said there has to be sufficient enticement to get someone to switch brands, I'm not saying that it is because they are necessarily loyal to a particular brand (though some may be), more importantly they probably have a substantial investment in equipment and lenses, so to get them to make a straight across trade to a brand they haven't used and have no familiarity with is a hard motivation to create. If on the other hand the features and price appear substantial they are more likely to jump ship and give it a try. Pentax pulled this of extremely well with the K10D, I know several Canon and Nikon users that now own a K10D and a couple of Pentax lenses, and even though they still have their other gear the important thing is Pentax now has their foot in their door, so to speak. Now when the time comes for a new lens or another body it's no longer a given that it will be a Canon or Nikon. This will hold true for the upcoming release of the 645D, once there is a 31mp MF body available for near the same price as their current 12-16mp FF DSLR, I'm sure there will be a lot of photographers that can't resist giving one a try. Look out! There they go with their foot in the door again!

Kyle

Kyle Nagel

You know, we could start a little contest here on the "Fuji, Pentax, Olympus, Sony DSLRs" forum and have members guess at what they think the introduction suggested retail price might be, and see who comes the closest. A sort of OPF "Price is Right". I'm throwing in with $6999.99

Kyle

Great Idea

You know, we could start a little contest here on the "Fuji, Pentax, Olympus, Sony DSLRs" forum and have members guess at what they think the introduction suggested retail price might be, and see who comes the closest. A sort of OPF "Price is Right". I'm throwing in with $6999.99

Kyle

Great Idea..try that on DPReviews and see what happens ;)

Where did you come up with that figure? I already told you it was around a "Buck-Fifty" didn't I?
But seriously folks, "Me" thinks that it will be a very interesting Fall...

Go for it Kyle, I'd love to know who gets the closest to the price. I can't play, if you know what I mean. Not that I know the price, but I've had some hints.

Cheers
Ben

Kyle Nagel

Great Idea..try that on DPReviews and see what happens ;)

I don't go there much anymore, some of them over there get a little too rude. I don't mind friendly banter, mind you. It's just they get a little too carried away sometimes.

Kyle