• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sony Alpha Lenses...

Daniel Harrison

pro member
Look a bit overpriced. The 70-200mm f/2.8 is $2400 USD. Who would pay that when you can get a Canon for $1800. and $6000 300mm f/2.8 and $600 Teleconverters!!!! Some of that stuff is TWICE what canon asks. Are they crazy. That is very expensive stuff! more prices of lenses here http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydslra100/page3.asp

So what do you think? They seem to have a killer entry level camera and KILLER lens prices? -

Kyle Nagel

Harvey Moore said:
Probably are mfrs list prices, not street prices

harvey

Yes, I'm sure they are MSRPs - For an example the Sony 300mm f2.8 that is $6000 is pretty much in the same price range as the similar Pentax lens, Pentax's MSRP on their FA 300mm f2.8 (auto focus) is $6067.00 and B&H sells it for $4549.95, a lens I bought a year ago ended up being half of the MSRP after a $100 mail in rebate, so those prices are probably very high based on what you would actually pay.

Kyle

Daniel Harrison

pro member
still, even at $4500 they are allot more expensive than the Canon lenses. And they do not have IS implemented in the lens either. Surely a brand trying to go out and get market share should price their lenses more competitively?

Kyle Nagel

Yes, but it's hard to say what the actual street price will be yet. They may end up selling nearer to the $3900 street price for the Canon equivalent, again it's hard to say until we see them on the shelves.

Kyle

Keith Heinrich

Kyle Nagel said:
Yes, but it's hard to say what the actual street price will be yet. They may end up selling nearer to the $3900 street price for the Canon equivalent, again it's hard to say until we see them on the shelves.

Kyle

I concur. Sony have made their intention clear to compete and win market share. They will almost certainly adjust their prices to meet the market.

Tom Yi

If anyone is interested, the new Sony Alpha A100 has been reviewed at dpr.
In terms of image quality, the new 10.2 MP CCD sensor has more noise than a 8.2MP CMOS sensor that they compare it to, esp. at ISO 400/800 and higher. Not that much diff. in other matters though.