• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I tried Nicolas's sharpening action

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nixon Lives!

Well the beaks are so different that the must have different purposes!

The comerant has a down pointing beak

Comerant_Birdguides.com_017004a001_j2.jpg

Whereas this guy's beak scoops upwards as if it pushes through the sand. Also the yellow apparently should go around the eyes.

BirdSharpened.jpg

But I'm no ornithologist!

Anyway, just from my own perspective perhaps, there is an uncanny resemblance, this birds sure reminds me of Nixon! This may start a round of other spottings ans soon we'll have multiple, masked Nixons, swooping down from the sky to a Los Vegas Stadium when the flying Elvises can't make it!

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Nicolas
a really good thing about your sharpening action is that it doesn't produces nasty jaggies on high-contrast areas (80% black nearby to 10 % white)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Nicolas
a really good thing about your sharpening action is that it doesn't produces nasty jaggies on high-contrast areas (80% black nearby to 10 % white)

Thanks Michael

This action is the result of a long process learning, reading fora, try/guess etc.
I'm quit sure it will evolve soon...

The nice thing I've found is that it works with most of files, including scans...

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

Your action seems really an advantage as it does not damage the natural look. Thanks for sharing. That's a great help to everyone.

Concerning the birds beak, Ray suggested that I stand on my head or get new glasses as the birds head is rotated so its upside down! Now who is correct, the bird, me or Ray or perhaps I shouldn't ask!

Is it in fact a coumerant?

Asher

Asher Kelman

So who else uses Nicolas or Bart's sharpening workflow? Any updated links to the methodology welcomed.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
So who else uses Nicolas or Bart's sharpening workflow? Any updated links to the methodology welcomed.

Asher

Well, Raw developers sw have increased so much their quality that workflow has to be adapted after every major updates…
This is true for Capture One and Lightroom as well.
OTOH the same happens for camera bodies and lens!
Therefore it's been a long time that I don't use any more the PS actions I posted here in OPF…

Sharpening technique is very dependent of different parameters such as:
- User's likes
- Camera body (and Brand!)
- Lens
- Software to develop raw
- Final size of output
- Way of diffusion such as : web, ink printers,Lightjet/Lambda, offset etc…

For regular output (I mean camera's resolution) I do about 80% sharpening and clarity before export to tif.
Final sharpening is the finishing job dob in PS.
For exposure fusion images done for interiors, I add a little Topaz Clarity… but the amount of this depends of the HDR workflow used…

BTW almost same comments applies for denoising! (Except that, when in PS I do this as first job)