• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Stuff

Clayton Lofgren

a862af5fc3aa4e9d861fa33f801e34ee.jpg

I took this snap of a day old baby a couple of days ago. Nothing special, but hand held with a
KM5D. 90 mm(135eq), f4.5, 1/10 second, and iso 800. The cameras announced in the last few days are impresive, but do not think they would let me do any better with my $100 dollar Sigma 24-135.
No new DSLR for me quite yet.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Clayton,

With newborns, it's such a delight that any digicam would work wonders. After all, consumer digicams are so good that a lot of serious work can be done with them, apart from not being impressive.

Still, the color and tonality would be better recorded with wider dynamic range and color depth. The grandparents, for sure, and most others would not see any difference!

Asher

Clayton Lofgren

I was thinking more about the in body stabilization. Nikon and Canon still won't let me use the slow shutter speeds with cheap lenses. In that respect, you are right that many point and shoots will do a good job. I expect to go to the G9 for the IS, if it proves to be as good as I expect it to be.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The G series of lenses have always been great apart from some minor chromatic aberration at the wide end which I don't worry about.

I wish it was a constant f 2.0! Still with RAW, high ISO, now presumably low noise, the camera should be a winner! Now which S series digicam will have the same sensor this time, as they usdually had in each series released together.

Asher

Clayton Lofgren

IS

Another one to make me like the in camera IS. This little fellow showed up today just as it was getting dark. His aunt wanted some pictures to enter in a baby food comercial contest. I explained that I have no studio or adequate lighting equipment so would need to do it in daylight, but I did sit him on our kitchen table and shot a couple in the available flourescent. This one is at 1/15 second, iso 800, 150mm(eq). Handheld.
856fdc97e6494380bab4ac8347bd067a.jpg