• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hot Pixels ......

ErikJonas

Banned
So.....My Pentax *ist had 2 or 3 hot pixels in every image,same spot...To fix this it has to be sent back to Pentax and the sensor re-mapped at a cost not nearly worth the proccess....

Now with my K20D i am getting the occasional odd hot Pixel although with the 14.5 MP its not nearly as noticeable...

So...My question is in certain shooting conditions do Nikon and Canon get these too?...You can only really see them at 400 times magnification which is what i check most my images at trying not to miss the slightest thing...BUT...I get one or two from time to time..Not in the same spot but they appear...

Canon or Nikon shooters?.....Ever have this?

Mike Shimwell

My 5D has a few if I do long exposures - I suspect they're just not as visible on short exposures. Lightroom seems to remove them automatically, DXo needs the healing brush to be used.

Not really a problem.

Mike

So...My question is in certain shooting conditions do Nikon and Canon get these too?...You can only really see them at 400 times magnification which is what i check most my images at trying not to miss the slightest thing...BUT...I get one or two from time to time..Not in the same spot but they appear...

Canon or Nikon shooters?.....Ever have this?

Hi Erik,

My Canon 1Ds Mark III has a few stuck pixels, and depending on my settings they show in the image. Do note that there is a difference between stuck/hot/dead pixels. Only the stuck/dead pixels show up (in the same spot) regardless of the exposure time, the number of hot pixels increases with exposure time and their positions can change a bit over time. When your problematic pixels do not show up in the same spot every time, then they are probably hot pixels (caused by read noise and thermal noise), and those cannot be mapped out in general. Higher ISO settings usually make these things more visible.

You can repair the issue in postprocessing, e.g. with this free software (for Windows):
http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/hotpixels.htm
or
http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/blackframe.htm

Cheers,
Bart

Nigel Allan

Is this what you are talking about? The white spot in the sky to the far right of the image in this low light handheld image?

This is the first and only time I have seen this on the Nikon D300 and I can't work it out. Is it a pixel issue? A seagull that caught the light? A UFO? I am puzzled.

DSC_4758.jpg

1. Nigel Allan: London Eye at night

I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking for in hot pixels, but this spot has never reappeared under any other circumstances