• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sun Dial

James Lemon

i-VLqmwxk-L.jpg

James Lemon

Do you think it was fashioned as a sundial or just seems to function as one.

I do like the creative form of the earth o. It’s a is.

Asher

Hello Asher

Two of these exist in the city of Vancouver the one shown in the pic is at the Vandusen Garden.

Artist(s)
Gerhard Class
Artwork information
Program:Gift
Installed:1967
Primary materials bronze, stone, granite
Type:Sculpture
Owner:City of Vancouver

Description of work

A classic bronze sundial sits on top of a 4'5" high rectangular granite pedestal engraved with abstract modernist geometric designs. A second edition of the sundial was commissioned for the VanDusen Gardens around 1972.

Artist statement

Erected under the auspices of the Centennial Committee of Vancouver in cooperation with the Parks Board, the sculpture was presented to the City by Cunningham Drug Stores Ltd. whose first store was opened at Denman and Nelson Streets in 1911. The inscription reads, " I mark my hours by shadow, mayest thou mark thine by sunshine." The sundial commemorates three English "greenhorns" - Samual Brighouse, John Morton, and William Hailstone who in 1862 filed the first land claim and planned the first home and industry in the then heavily wooded area now bounded by Burrard Inlet, Stanley Park, English Bay and Burrard Street to which they received title in 1867.
Send us your feedback. Please tell us a

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

James,

Thanks for that!

Now I understand the geometric lines on the stone supporting pillar. I was wondering whether this might be carved out of granite or was a bulging stucco cement layer covering it.

The inscription really helps integrate everything and also make a singlecpicturecinto a rich incident in Nort American history.

Thanks for all this background.

Amazing how some folk insist in that truth-sounding aphorism, that, “ A photograph should speak for itself!”

Asher

James Lemon

James,

Thanks for that!

Now I understand the geometric lines on the stone supporting pillar. I was wondering whether this might be carved out of granite or was a bulging stucco cement layer covering it.

The inscription really helps integrate everything and also make a singlecpicturecinto a rich incident in Nort American history.

Thanks for all this background.

Amazing how some folk insist in that truth-sounding aphorism, that, “ A photograph should speak for itself!”

Asher

Hi Asher

Here is the original erected in "Canada's centennial year " 1967. The sun dial is made of the same material but more weathered. Also the numbers on the inside are projected out from the surface where as the numbers are recessed in on other the sun dial.

i-xrxgn2D-L.jpg

Best, regards
James