• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What Memory Card Reader 2 Buy?

Greetings:

I recently purchased a new digital camera which uses the Compact Flash device to store picture files. The camera came with an assortment of accessories, and included with them, was a USB CF card reader. Well, it worked just OK except it was difficult to insert the card into the side pin slot. Eventually a pin was bent over a bit, I gave it a slight tweak, and all was well but only for a while. I believe the reader is just not up to snuff. It's physical specifications are just a bit out of line. I have decided to replace it but I have not found many choices on the Internet, nor can I find much chatter regarding these items, I found plenty of choices for CF cards, but for readers, it looks like slim pickens. Any suggestions on what is working well, is very durable and can stand up under repeated use? I would like to find a high quality device if possible. It's a very important step in the file acquisition process, and I would rather have something I can depend on..

Any suggestions on what is working well, is very durable and can stand up under repeated use? I would like to find a high quality device if possible. It's a very important step in the file acquisition process, and I would rather have something I can depend on..

I have had good luck for reliability with a couple of external CF card readers. They are in general, simple devices that are mass produced. Just go down to your local store and buy one that is USB 2.0 or FireWire and use it. If it is out of spec (hard to insert into), then you can just return it.

I have seen reviews in the past and with some working and the expense of extra money you might be able to buy a faster one, but this one one workflow element that I personally walk away from making speed less critical (my computer spends as much time or more validating the copied files as it spends copying them).

some thoughts,

Sean (Who uses a Dazzle USB 2.0 reader from Radio Shack)

Nill Toulme

The newer Sandisks are very good. If you only have CF cards (no SD or SDHC), then the Sandisk Extreme Firewire reader is one of the fastest available. It's about $60, but there's currently a $30 rebate on it.

If you have both CF and SD, then the Extreme USB reader is good, although not as fast as the firewire reader. It's also less expensive, but no rebate.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Alain Briot

pro member
I have the Sandisk Firewire 800 and love it. It's only for CF cards, but then that's pretty much all I use. For SD cards I have a USB 2 reader that plugs directly into the USB port in my computer. That one is made by Blue Proton and is also very fast.

doug anderson

I've got the big Sandisk that comes to two parts, and it works very well for me. It accepts four different card sizes. You can't go wrong for $20.

D