Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > The Gear > Macintosh

Macintosh All Power PC and Intel platforms.

Old January 28th, 2007, 03:30 PM
pro member

Default display advice please

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...602987&Redir=1

is this a good "monitor" for someone that has maxed up credit cards and wants to work

this are the specs

21" MultiSync Flat Panel Display
21" TFT, 1600 x 1200 Max Resolution, 1000:1 Contrast ratio, 300 nit of Brightness, 0.27 mm Dot pitch, up to more than 16 million color support, DVI, VGA (HD-15)

all that for $729.99
Old January 28th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Inactive

Hi Leonardo,

I am not even an LCD user yet a my CRTs work. But I have looked at them and one of the things I have noted is that high end photo flat panels tend to have lower contrast ratios and 1000:1 is a touch high which may make judging how prints will look on paper with your display may be difficult.

Hopefully someone who knows more will provide more input.

enjoy your day,

Sean
Old January 28th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Hi Leonardo

Haven't tried the monitor that you asked about, but may I recommend another?

I just bought a Samsung 215 TW, similar specs to the one you are looking at, except it's a widescreen (1680*1050).

Lovely screen, with a multitude of inputs: VGA, DVI, S-VHS, CVBS and component.

Can be found in the states for less than $500.

Jörgen

Last edited by Jörgen Nyberg; January 28th, 2007 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old January 28th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Hi Leonardo,

I have the Nec 2070NX, which, as far as I'm concerned is excellent. I'm guessing that the spec is similar.

Best wishes,

Ray
Old January 28th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Inactive

Lacie has a cheap model with an obnoxious border at a similar price point. This is a low end model from a company that sells lesser high end displays.

enjoy,

Sean
Old January 28th, 2007, 07:29 PM
pro member

It's good to ask questions, for example, I believed that 1000:1 contrast was better than, say, 700:1 contrast, but I have no idea what it meas.

One thing I want to do is to have two monitors, one calibrated and the other just for the tool pallets, so I don't mind to have one that has a 4:5 ratio.

I think that a 19 inch could be good for general work and 700 is a good price, but probably I will continue the research...

thanks
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:57 AM
pro member

Ray, the model you have seams like the way to go in terms of Q/$ (quality per cost) I don't know why they have to heve this complicated model numbers and letters, I imagine that NX should mean something, maybe NeXt, New generation X, etc.

Can you elaborate on your experience. Do you have a calibration device, and is it easily calibrated, and does it "hold" the calibration?

thanks
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Hi Leonardo,

Not much to say. It has a nice thin surround (mine is beige - I think yours is black, and yours is an inch bigger). Usefully it has four usb ports, and a pretty good stand. It's a very neat unit. It has the adjustments on the bottom of the screen surround, and sometimes I accidentally turn it off or turn on the menu, when I go to get something from the stack of papers I have jammed underneath .... But you will be a much tidier worker than me ;-)

I have the monaco optix xr, but have not noticed any drift in the adjustment values. Now, of course it depends how fussy you are, etc. but this monitor far exceeds my demands. I'm running windoze xp, and this is on 24/7, and I've had it about a year.

However, I have not undertaken any product comparisons, except at the time of purchase I was also looking at Lacie, which was expensive over here, and of course this NEC is far better than the 15 inch I had before. I am not sure that I will ever have the need for anything better, until I see it, of course.

hth.

Best wishes,

Ray
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:10 AM

NEC's current line for serious color work is the xx90 line: 1990sxi, 2090uxi, 2190uxi, 2490wuxi and 2690wuxi, the latter two widescreen and due to start shipping literally any minute now. I've had the 2090uxi for the better part of a year and couldn't be happier with it.

It's my understanding that LaCie's tend to be rebadged NEC's for the most part, but I have no personal experience with them.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Be careful when thinking about the "bargain" LCDs at places like Fry's. They frequently sell ones with dead pixels. I've a coworker with 3 Samsungs that all have dead pixels. I suspect that the ultra cheap ones (usually of a moderately nice model) are frequently ones that have failed an inspection because they have dead pixels, but not enough to qualify to be returned.

That said, I got a 20" for $250 at Costco that's been working nicely for 6 months or so. No bad pixels.