• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Expuesto:People in doorways: - Glimpses at the junctions of public spaces!

Robert Watcher

As you know, I photograph a lot going on in the front of buildings, especially people in doorways. I am collecting here a series of pictures that will build a picture of the Nicaragua experience just walking past homes and stores. I hope you will feel some of the "buzz "and tempo of life here in Nicaragua.

Your reactions ands comments are welcome and will be highly appreciated. :)

A lot of headings come to mind here, "Intrusions", "Inside Out", "Exposed", "Expuesto" (Spanish for exposed), "Guardián de la Casa", "Oblivious", "Transitions", "Personal Threshhold" and the like. We have settled for now on "Expuesto" which seems to best cover the idea of the junction between private and public.

Here are the first 4 photos of my new series, "Expuesto:people in doorways".

20150115-EPL59443-Edit.jpg

20150115-EPL59448-Edit.jpg

20150115-EPL59469-Edit.jpg

20150115-EPL59557-Edit.jpg

Rob

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

20150115-EPL59443-Edit.jpg

20150115-EPL59448-Edit.jpg

20150115-EPL59469-Edit.jpg

20150115-EPL59557-Edit.jpg

Rob,

I'm interested in your work here showing societal "openness".

Western societies tend to be so tightly private. In many places, the doorways are closed or plantings shield windows. Here, however, your wonderful pictures show doorways and the porch gives extra breathing space.

Each picture discloses a little more. This high impact series will be valued in future times, for sure, if not much sooner. I see the making of a great photography book!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Thank you Asher for suggesting a separate thread for this series. I find it fascinating how people stand or sit in their doorways in Latin American countries such as Nicaragua.

It is counter-culture to the lifestyle I am familiar with in Canada - even though I'm positive that it would probably have been a standard there 50 years ago - before people started secluding and isolating themselves from their neighbours and communities, and imprisoning themselves in their homes.

I look forward to providing many more images based on this theme - and welcome opinions and responses from any who may find them interesting. This thread may ultimately provide a direction on how to proceed in compiling the series into a book. Enjoy.

These are all so great, Robert. I keep wanting to point one out but keep scrolling up and down, not able to make a choice as they are all just so good and so interesting. Such a cool series that you are working on now.
Maggie

Robert Watcher

These are all so great, Robert. I keep wanting to point one out but keep scrolling up and down, not able to make a choice as they are all just so good and so interesting. Such a cool series that you are working on now.
Maggie

Thank you Maggie. I am so used to seeing people in their doorways now, that it is sometimes hard for me to realize that back home in Canada, I doubt that I would be able to find one (1) person standing in a doorway - not just homes but also businesses.

Robert Watcher

Fascinating use of European stereotypical faces in a native Latin community! Is this a common practice?

Asher

You are referring to the advertising piece on the desk I presume? I have never really paid attention - will have to keep an eye for that.

The personage we see most throughout the country, on large billboards and smaller posters alike, is that of the President Daniel Ortega looking stellar with two fingers raised in the air - sometimes with his wife beside him.

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi,

so simpel, so great ...! Thanks for the input and all the people who don't moan when being photographed ...
I especially appreciate the first from the "streets of Matagalpa"-set

Robert Watcher

Both of these situations I passed by last night, were perfect setups for my doorway shots...

... problem is is that by the time I was able to pull out my camera, the scenes were not what I wanted.

So with the little girl, I was walking up the street on the same side as her. She was sitting there watching the world go by. I passed by and decided to head over to the other side of the street to get my viewpoint.

By the time I aimed my camera at her, she was standing and looking around. When I grabbed a shot of that, she recognized what I was doing and smiled. Then I motioned to her from that other side, to sit down on the step. So she did:

20150218-EPL53580-Edit.jpg

kidcombo1.jpg

I couldn't see this guy at all until I was dead on to him just inches away. The opening in the door is only about 8 inches square. He did not notice me until I pulled out my camera (which I did immediately).

By then he was looking at me and when I asked if I could take a photo, he moved position and posed so I could see him directly. I took a couple of shots like that, but really wanted him on the other side (as when I was approaching him) not noticing me. I move back to that side of the door and asked him to move to where he previously was looking out, and have his eyes focused on something across the street.

It all took place in just seconds.

20150218-EPL53603-Edit.jpg

kidcombo2.jpg

Asher Kelman

Both of these situations I passed by last night, were perfect setups for my doorway shots...

... problem is is that by the time I was able to pull out my camera, the scenes were not what I wanted.

So with the little girl, I was walking up the street on the same side as her. She was sitting there watching the world go by. I passed by and decided to head over to the other side of the street to get my viewpoint.

By the time I aimed my camera at her, she was standing and looking around. When I grabbed a shot of that, she recognized what I was doing and smiled. Then I motioned to her from that other side, to sit down on the step. So she did:

kidcombo1.jpg

I couldn't see this guy at all until I was dead on to him just inches away. The opening in the door is only about 8 inches square. He did not notice me until I pulled out my camera (which I did immediately).

By then he was looking at me and when I asked if I could take a photo, he moved position and posed so I could see him directly. I took a couple of shots like that, but really wanted him on the other side (as when I was approaching him) not noticing me. I move back to that side of the door and asked him to move to where he previously was looking out, and have his eyes focused on something across the street.

It all took place in just seconds.

20150218-EPL53603-Edit.jpg

kidcombo2.jpg

Hmm, Robert,

This is some sort of intervention, like Obama "Leading from behind" where one tries to control a situation without being accused of actually staging the result! What's interesting is that even these children are able to read human gestures and facial expressions so perfectly and furthermore they show a measure of trust in doing so.

I'm a bit concerned, here in the USA, of the acceptability of setting up a discourse like this without parental approval. That, at least to my mind, is the accepted standard. However, there's nothing inherently wrong or "bad" about the benign signaling, except if folk misinterpret one's interest. It's all about what is in the range of social normality.

I like your approach and the way you signal from a distance. Nonetheless. My way is to use a long lens and pass by and have no interaction, or else approach the parents and ask. Half the time they say, "Sure, go ahead!" or else, "send me the picture!"

Asher

Asher Kelman

Robert,

In all your pictures on this topic, we see the migration and extension of the family space into the street, something that was evident and common, even I'm places like New York, 30-100 years ago before everyone had air conditioning.

Still, there's a a special and precious "warmth" here that is another layer which is absent from your other work. Perhaps this should be the first one of a new subset of these "Doorway Pictures". This, instance, where there is a smile of recognition and display of knowledge of your presence and intent to take a photograph merits recognition and celebration. After all, when we look at the picture, we are also greeted by same expression of trust that is part of childhood innocence.

I hope you will discover, amongst your existing work, more examples of this openness and warmth to the passer by with a camera.

Asher

Paul Abbott

A nice idea and a nice series of photographs, Robert.
I would just like to see a little more discipline in this theme because some of these subjects are shot before a door or inside a room and beyond the door.
To expand on this idea I would like to see more of an embracing by the people of that portal...so pump out the jambs, Rob... :D

Robert Watcher

A nice idea and a nice series of photographs, Robert.
I would just like to see a little more discipline in this theme because some of these subjects are shot before a door or inside a room and beyond the door.
To expand on this idea I would like to see more of an embracing by the people of that portal...so pump out the jambs, Rob... :D

Yeah - if I were interested in exhibiting, I may take more consideration to such matters Paul - - - although I may not as well :). However my posting on forums such as OPF are just play and fun for me - - - a public venue where I can post a few of the hundreds of images I am capturing each day, in the hurried and endlessly varied way that I shoot. Thank you for considering.

Robert Watcher

I shot the streets pretty heavy during my final day in Leon before heading back to Canada. Here are 7 Doorway shots that I managed on that evening.

TravelLiteShootHeavy-20150425-EPL57574-Edit-Edit.jpg

TravelLiteShootHeavy-20150425-EPL57667-Edit.jpg

TravelLiteShootHeavy-20150425-EPL57594-Edit.jpg

TravelLiteShootHeavy-20150425-EPL57704-Edit.jpg

Asher Kelman

One thing for sure, Robert, is that you don't lack texture and patina in "N"! :)

I wonder whether you really wanted the faces to be hidden in the first two? The combination of opening a lock and a security id great.

The series is coming along very well.

If you need the faces, perhaps do some again. If not "forgedaboutit"!

The last picture with the "check mark" on the left and her "look" on the left is so well seen and captured. Bravo!

Asher