• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Striking Sunsets, Getting beyond Postcard-Pretty or Merely Sentimental!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I doubt that Capture One allows to work on your file, even in DNG format!

I doubt also that using clarity @ 100 % + dehaze would bring no halo seen at full size!
It would mean the your lens is a dog! Which I do not believe…

Thanks for your insight, Nicolas.

Actually, for importing Fiji GFX RAW files to Capture One, the built in exclusion filters for any other MF digital file other than Phase One or Leaf, has to be defeated or I passed!

So, for the Fuji GFX it involves a neat trick! One edits the metadata to call the file Fujifilm_ instead of Fujifilm or else borrow the designation "Phase One IQ250" and it works fine!

Somecfolk convert the Fuji RAWs to TIFF using the in camera powerful processor which is blazing fast, apparently and bakes in any film choice one wishes as well as lens corrections.

Photoshop generic algorithms don't have the subtle instructions that are encoded by Fuji, so each software has its own awkwardness. For ACR, it delivers files a little clumsily. For LR, the ordered discipline, working in "Develop" seems to be better at handling whatever mismatches there are, according to my readings.

Asher

Peter Dexter

Here are a couple: mi amiga in Bahia Solano, Pacific coast of Chocó department

30807539112_2cd214ceb0_b.jpg

..and nearing Pueto Narińo in a canoa on the Amazon

19046951968_29727f17fd_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

Peter,

Even if you hadn't shown the second one earlier, I still would go for the one with the light playing on the girl's hair. What a delightful picture. Tell us about the journey and how long it was?

Is it safe for most tourists?

Asher

Peter Dexter

I thought I might have posted the second image before but it seemed appropriate for the thread so went ahead and added it Regarding Bahia Solano yes it's pretty safe. It is very popular with Europeans and some Americans for watching Humpback Whales in migration.

Asher Kelman

I thought I might have posted the second image before but it seemed appropriate for the thread so went ahead and added it Regarding Bahia Solano yes it's pretty safe. It is very popular with Europeans and some Americans for watching Humpback Whales in migration.

Peter,

How far in is this on the Amazon? Are you pretty near the coast? Also you told me nothing about the girl. Have we seen her before?

Asher

Peter Dexter

Puerto Nariño is about seventy five kilometers up river from Leticia which is the capitol of Amazons department. The border with Brazil runs through Leticia. It is quite far from the coast.

The girl is Daniela. She is a Colombian girl twenty one years old from Cali. I have posted her before with titles "Horsey", "Oceanside" and probably some others.

Taken on the eve of the solar eclipse. The sun was blood red probably because of the mist in the sky. I like it and certainly not post-card pretty.

redsunsetting.jpg

Asher Kelman

Taken on the eve of the solar eclipse. The sun was blood red probably because of the mist in the sky. I like it and certainly not post-card pretty.

redsunsetting.jpg

Maggie,

I find that so interesting, the blood red sun! I have not seen that until now.

The nearest I have to that motif is a picture by Charlotte Thompson of a young person, not sure a man or a woman but there is a red square in the upper 1/3 on a dark background and its awefully "Zen" and meditative, (not that I am good at these relaxation spritual attitudes or states), and I find the look mesmerizing and tranquil.

Fabulous!

But why so symmetrical? Is that happenstance on just this occasion or you have a preference for that in your style, as I have not noticed it before. At least such symmetry in your work never registered.

But perhaps this is your snowflake mood and then things have to be like that!

Asher

Maggie,

I find that so interesting, the blood red sun! I have not seen that until now.

The nearest I have to that motif is a picture by Charlotte Thompson of a young person, not sure a man or a woman but there is a red square in the upper 1/3 on a dark background and its awefully "Zen" and meditative, (not that I am good at these relaxation spritual attitudes or states), and I find the look mesmerizing and tranquil.

Fabulous!

But why so symmetrical? Is that happenstance on just this occasion or you have a preference for that in your style, as I have not noticed it before. At least such symmetry in your work never registered.

But perhaps this is your snowflake mood and then things have to be like that!

Asher

Ha, yes, it is the setting sun. Why symmetrical? It just happened that way. I went out to shoot with a friend and this is atop a small hill so the tree you see if actually quite large and the other trees are quite far below. It is a quite small area and I just liked the branches at the top of the tree to slice through the sun.

and I just wanted to participate in some of the forums with something of mine. Obviously, this was taken in August but I thought it was a sunset pic without the pretty postcard look. I've not been much in the mood to take photos lately and I took some the other day and although they were alright, I didn't like them much. I then felt, well, if I participate in the forums a bit, that might be fun. About a week ago, I had posted in the surreal thread, but had no come back from anyone about it (good or bad) so thought today, I remembered this pic and how it might work in this thread.

Today, -24C, no snowflake mode as once it gets below -20C, it rarely snows.. sometimes a bit of ice-crystals.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Starting to smell good colors!

Yesterday late evening, leaving the office, a little gift from lights and colors…
iPhone shot

Attachments

• bx.jpg
    bx.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 321

nicolas claris

Nicolas, a nice shot! Where did the twin towers with the facing oblique Roos come from? Have I seen them or are they faitlely new?

Asher

Hi Asher
That's just an iPhone postcard, shot on the fly (running back home for dinner!) with nice colours…

the two towers are the pillars of the new lift bridge, I do not think this bridge existed when you came the last time…

Robert Watcher

I was on a friends rooftop last night as the sun was going down. The apartment they have just rented sits high above the core of the city - providing a spectacular 360 degree view.

There is a deception to the size of peaks surrounding the city. They don’t look very imposing. However the volcano ridge Siete Orejas (12 miles from where I am shooting from) with the giant backlit cloud hovering over it, has an elevation of 11,000 feet. The conical volcano Santa Maria (7 miles from where I am shooting from) has an elevation of 12,375 feet. Cerro Quemado Volcano (1-1/2 miles from where I am shooting from) to the left of Santa Maria is 10,500 feet high.

My iPhone 6 doesn’t have the greatest built-in camera for low light situations - but it is what I had with me.

7BD58F16-3934-4E24-8076-3501E961B46E.jpg

8B5C2C4A-D47E-4F61-9A7E-BB216B591910.jpg

nicolas claris

I was on a friends rooftop last night as the sun was going down. The apartment they have just rented sits high above the core of the city - providing a spectacular 360 degree view.

There is a deception to the size of peaks surrounding the city. They don’t look very imposing. However the volcano ridge Siete Orejas (12 miles from where I am shooting from) with the giant backlit cloud hovering over it, has an elevation of 11,000 feet. The conical volcano Santa Maria (7 miles from where I am shooting from) has an elevation of 12,375 feet. Cerro Quemado Volcano (1-1/2 miles from where I am shooting from) to the left of Santa Maria is 10,500 feet high.

My iPhone 6 doesn’t have the greatest built-in camera for low light situations - but it is what I had with me.

Wow! that's a big fire!
And yes iPhones aren't good cameras but as all smartphones, when that's all we have, they are better than nothing… ;)

Asher Kelman

The following evening (yesterday) a little later

You can't just include an incredible bridge that can lift its roadway above the tallest ships some 70 meters with 4 towers, as if it is something normal in the skyline.

Goodness gracious, Nicolas, this is something amazing. But we only see 2 towers. See the problem with being too orthogonal!!!!

If I wouldn't have asked you would just have let it go by as if we seecthis every day!

Asher

nicolas claris

You can't just include an incredible bridge that can lift its roadway above the tallest ships some 70 meters with 4 towers, as if it is something normal in the skyline.

Goodness gracious, Nicolas, this is something amazing. But we only see 2 towers. See the problem with being too orthogonal!!!!

If I wouldn't have asked you would just have let it go by as if we seecthis every day!

Asher

But I see it everyday ! lol!

I wish I had the intent to shoot it orthogonal, but that's just the fact that the place where I shot it from is exactly in the right axxis, the 2 other towers are hidden by the ones on forground!

BTW I do like to see only 2 towers, why on Earth should I be oblidged to show the four? I'm not doing here an architecture report (and even if I were…)!

nicolas claris

Asher,
We've known each other for so long now (thank you Internet!) That you know I'm stubborn AND orthogonal, I just can not skew!

Asher Kelman

Asher,
We've known each other for so long now (thank you Internet!) That you know I'm stubborn AND orthogonal, I just can not skew!

Everything can be vertical and perpendicular to the ground. But the special interest of this advanced 21sr Century bridge is that there are two tall handsome towers, on each side, that unbelievingly lift up the roadway and monorail lines to allow tall ships to go through, but THEN puts it back exactly right every single time. The Eiffel Tower was also amazing and somewhat crazy too. But despite all the hoopla, it's a stable tall pyramid and the engineering is pretty basic.

This new bridge has a mechanism of hidden counterweights hanging on cables that have to be moved up or down to keep everything balanced!

This is a truly fabulous sign that French engineering still thrives in spite of an 18 hr workweek, LOL! I lie, but here they work about 50 hr weeks as we do not have the baguettes, French wine, (not so much) and best cheeses!

Asher

Last edited:

nicolas claris

Asher, the number hours of work per week counts but also the productivity, a recent survey by OECE shows that French workers and Industry leaders aren't so bad!

PR_Productivity_Compendium_2017.png

Source

As you pointed out France is not only baguettes, berets, Tour Eiffel and Général De Gaulle!

Asher Kelman

Asher, the number hours of work per week counts but also the productivity, a recent survey by OECE shows that French workers and Industry leaders aren't so bad!

PR_Productivity_Compendium_2017.png

Source

As you pointed out France is not only baguettes, berets, Tour Eiffel and Général De Gaulle!

Quand même, a great start!

Asher

Asher Kelman

7BD58F16-3934-4E24-8076-3501E961B46E.jpg

Bob,

Is the volcano active or is that the sunset?

Asher