• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just another freekin' gorgeous day in Mission Viejo

Barry Gossage

Hey there,

When the thermometer got down to 92 in the shade today, it was safe to let the dog outside for water in and water out.

Hello from Mission Viejo (vee-ay-hoe,) California. We are located on the eastern side of the 5 Freeway, inland from Laguna Beach. It's been hot enough over the last few days that I didn't feel comfortable taking my babies outside...... those would be my D200, D70, Coolpix 5400 Infrared, Fuji S2 Pro, and even "ol' faithful.... my FM2". (How's that for a segue from the weather to what cameras I shoot?!)

I've been a Nikon man since 1972 when I took an FTN and 4 or 5,000 slide shots of Europe when I was 18 and free to go where I pleased. Three and half months backpacking by myself in Europe, staying in youth hostels and sleeping in parks, on beaches, and even some farmers fields! I never wanted to have to say to myself... "if only I had"; so I did it. The Nikon FTN was about as indestructible as any piece of hardware I've ever seen. And at that time, Nikon was one of the few companies in the world that owned and operated their own crucibles and made their own glass. That's where Nikon's fame really came from, IMHO. Quality glass of the highest order.

But... the digital world closed in and I used my first REAL digital camera in the early 90's. A Canon. The Q-PIC RC250 SV (still video) camera.
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/history/canon_story/1987_1991/1989_qpic.html
It used a proprietary diskette that loaded into a top-loading device similar to early beta and vhs tape decks. Push a button and the cradle came up from within the camera: load the the diskette, push the cradle back into the camera and proceed to shoot still video images. I was taking some classes on Ventura Publisher at the time, so for a final project, I photographed some jewelry that a friend made, and put together a catalog and printed it on an HP Personal Laser Jet. Man, I was stylin'!!! And the catalog blew the doors off everything else. I kinda-sorta think I may have made up mind about digital right then and there.

You what's funny... all these little anecdotes of things I've done and seen... I never realized how much fun I had at the time they happened until I started writing them down!

So, is this TOO much information? It's almost midnight here so I best get my tush to bed. I'll write more later if anyone wants to hear more ramblings of an old f***.

Barry Gossage
fo-tik photography

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hey there,

When the thermometer got down to 92 in the shade today, it was safe to let the dog outside for water in and water out.

Hello from Mission Viejo (vee-ay-hoe,) California. We are located on the eastern side of the 5 Freeway, inland from Laguna Beach. It's been hot enough over the last few days that I didn't feel comfortable taking my babies outside...... those would be my D200, D70, Coolpix 5400 Infrared, Fuji S2 Pro, and even "ol' faithful.... my FM2". (How's that for a segue from the weather to what cameras I shoot?!)
I don't worry about that amount of heat. your camera can stand it. You may increase the noise!
We have broken air conditioning so we are suffereing indoors too!

However it's cool in the kitchen so that's where I am since 5 a.m!

I've been a Nikon man since 1972 when I took an FTN and 4 or 5,000 slide shots of Europe when I was 18 and free to go where I pleased. Three and half months backpacking by myself in Europe, staying in youth hostels and sleeping in parks, on beaches, and even some farmers fields!

Yes, Barry, that was my journey too except with a Retinette 2b Rangefinder and I was aged 15. When I hitchhiked everywhere. At night, it was a bit scary. I would walk back aa while from where I had been dropped of at night and slept in tal grass or behind bushes in a farmer's field. That way I felt secure.

I hope you have your pictures still and will share them.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
We have broken air conditioning so we are suffereing indoors too!

However it's cool in the kitchen so that's where I am since 5 a.m!

Well Asher for a real advocate of the global warmth theory, it is much better for our planet to drop aircons to the garbage ! I can see that you managed to stop it §;-))

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Actually, Nicolas, I'm not an advocate for global warming theory, the theory of magnetism or gravity or any other science. They are what they are, theories.

We could considerable decrease the need for airconditoning if we built our homes below ground with just windows coming above.

To build our homes above ground puts us into hot boxes! Pretty dumb, if you ask me!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Broken AC

Maybe there is a conspiracy...ours is out too. I could buy a Hassy (well, maybe a used one) or a new Volkswagen...for the cost of replacing our whole system that is out - heat, furnace and A/C coils and condenser. And we even have to re-vent the whole system.

Let's see, how many weddings is that?

From Hot and Steamy,
Southern California

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Yes, of course!

Nicolas, Actually, I registered for a 4 day workshop from a wedding photographer who is known for engagement/proposal portraits. So much to offer!

Barry,

Welcome to OPF from another Southern Californian. Maybe we can get some kind of photo outing together this summer. Gee, maybe the OC would be a good place to do that like Balboa area. Something for everyone - people, landscapes, architecture, kids....and some good spots for a bite to eat and chat! Maybe a few of us could make an outing to Canon Irvine out of it too.

Barry Gossage

Nicolas, Actually, I registered for a 4 day workshop from a wedding photographer who is known for engagement/proposal portraits. So much to offer!

Barry,

Welcome to OPF from another Southern Californian. Maybe we can get some kind of photo outing together this summer. Gee, maybe the OC would be a good place to do that like Balboa area. Something for everyone - people, landscapes, architecture, kids....and some good spots for a bite to eat and chat! Maybe a few of us could make an outing to Canon Irvine out of it too.

Hi Kathy,

I have to figure out how to say this diplomatically.... I have photographed the Balboa peninsula so many times, it's hard to get excited about it anymore. BUT... creativity is where you find it, not manufacture it, so I would love to join an outing. I have some friends that might be interested also. Have you ever heard of the Photographers Exchange that meets the 3rd Thursday of each month at the Irvine Fine Arts Center? Have you ever heard of the Irvine Fine Arts Center, come to think of it? If not, and if you like portraiture, fashion and glamor, then contact me offline and I'll give you some of the details about their programs.

I picked up a book from triple A the other day that's all about the back-roads and 4 wheel drive adventures all within Southern California. I had no idea there are enough to fill over 600 pages in this book! Since I went on a 4 day workshop to Lone Pine, the Alabama Hills, Cerro Gordo and Death Valley, the idea of getting off the beaten track and photographing different places and things, has a very real appeal to me now. If you're interested, let me know!

Well, enough about the OC. And thanks for the welcome to this forum. I hope to learn allot, and share allot.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Social Creature that I am....

We seem to have a bout euqal numbers of the So Cal OPF'ers either in OC or Ventura or West LA Area.

We need to set a date and a place for a gathering. First socail and the shooting. I say we think about July - maybe 3rd weekend. Then we dedide where.....and what kind of photos we are intersted. We have a studio we can use in Moorpark, I am sure. There are a lot of hiking/backroads in the Santa Monica Mountains. Near here!