• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

photo paper for pixma 9500 mrkII

Nuno Alexandre

Hi,
I need some professional advice.
After some hunting around the jungle of printers, I've decided to purchase a Canon Pixma 9500 Mark II - it's on its way to me.

But now It the choice of paper... yet another jungle.

maybe someone in here can advise me on some papers?

I will be printing mostly in A3+, Colour - mostly music photography, few landscapes in color and b&w.

Thanks for your time.

Hi,
I need some professional advice.
After some hunting around the jungle of printers, I've decided to purchase a Canon Pixma 9500 Mark II - it's on its way to me.

Hi Nuno,

I also have one of those. It's a reasonably priced printer that uses pigment inks and can reach a large gamut of colors with its 10 inks. As long as A3+ is large enough, you won't be disappointed.

But now It the choice of paper... yet another jungle.

maybe someone in here can advise me on some papers?

It's a very personal choice. Depending on what you want to print and how the image is presented, you may prefer one or the other brand/type.

I will be printing mostly in A3+, Colour - mostly music photography, few landscapes in color and b&w.

Personally I like several of the offerings from Hahnemuhle and Ilford, depending on the use of the images and how they will be displayed. The Canon branded fine art papers are made by Hahnemuhle, so you may want to compare local prices.

You may want to try the Hahnemuhle Glossy Fine Art paper called "FineArt Baryta". It allows to display very vibrant images with a lot of depth of the blacks. The surface is glossy with a bit of structure, and it's 325 gram/square metre weight, so it handles well.
You also may want to try the Ilford Galerie Smooth High Gloss paper for images that can tolerate its special look. The surface of this thinner paper (235g/sqm) has a bit of a mother of pearl like gloss to it which might be a good match for some of your music subjects.

Just look at some samples at your dealer, and maybe they have sample packages with a few shhets of different papers in one package.

To get the best results you should preferable have somebody make a custom profile for your paper choices, the results will be significantly better than the stock profiles available from the different paper manufacturers.

Cheers,
Bart