• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Why is this not sharp?

Rachel Foster

Before I post info, I have one question: Is this decently sharp?

069-1.jpg

Rachel Foster

Is this one crisp? (I'm ONLY working on sharpness right now. Will post info after feedback. I'm trying to systematically pinpoint the problem.)

078j.jpg

Bill Miller

Rachel,

Here are several tests you can perform. Regardless of which one you choose the camera should always be at a 45 degree angle to the test chart.

1. http://focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf
2. http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart/

Follow the instructions - be sure and have your camera set for a single focus point.

This has been an issue for over a month. Another very simple method is using a Crayola's. Set them on end on a table at a 45 degree angle. Again single focus point and focus on the center Crayola.

Post your test results including the EXIF.

This will answer your questions.

Rachel Foster

Thanks, Ben. I will do that. (It's been an issue for over a year, actually!) I'm testing several hypotheses and I'm hoping to get some yes or no feedback before I post exif or any info about the equipment or conditions in order to evaluate the possible hypotheses. I'm trying to eliminate one potential cause and how sharp these are, say on a scale of 1 to 10, will help me answer that.

Is this one crisp? (I'm ONLY working on sharpness right now. Will post info after feedback. I'm trying to systematically pinpoint the problem.)

Hi Rachel,

Was the image down-sampled, or is this a 100% zoom crop?

Only an image at it's native size can be really judged. Resampling can cause all sorts of artifacts, ranging from unsharpness to the addition of artificial detail.
The combination of camera and Raw converter also makes a difference.

Bart

Rachel Foster

Ok, thanks, Bart. I'll have a better idea when I get home today.

That was taken with a hand held zoom lens, no IS. I THINK it's better than previous shots with tripod, remote release IS. The difference is quality of lens....normal vs L series. I'm testing whether part of the problem is cheap glass (or plastic) lenses.

Rachel Foster

ISO 400, 200 mm (lens at full extension), f/6.3, 1/50. Lens was a 70-200 f/4.0 l, no iso. On tripod, remote shutter release.

066.jpg

How does it do for sharp? I can make available the full sized RAW if anyone is interested.

Bill Miller

Rachel,

You keep taking photos of various subjects. Without knowing how your camera was set single point, multi point and the exact focus point, it is impossible to give you an answer.

To make your life simple - Just take a photo of the chart, single focus on center point and your answer will be clear.

Rachel Foster

Thanks, Bill. That will definitely give some good info. The lens issue is part of it, but not all of it.

Without question, another large component is that I'm somehow not using the camera right.

Bill Miller

Rachel Take your camera and lenses to the below dealer, they are about 24 miles from you. See if they can help you. Or if you bought them from WalMart return, they are good about taking items back.

MEIERS STUDIO & CAMERA
122 W MAIN STREET,
MIDLAND MI 48640
989-832-8886

Bill Miller

Rachel,

That was a suggestion because you said you had operator problems.

Run the tests, with each of your lenses. Then post the results pretty simple. Then someone can make a recommendaton to you. Anything else is guessing.

Rachel Foster

Thank you for the suggestions, Bill. I appreciate them and will do what you've suggested as soon as I can. This time of the academic term is crazy (and mom duties are heavy right now, also).

Leonardo Boher

pro member
I just shot this on tripod, remote shutter release, auto focus. Am I doing something wrong or is it possibly damage to the Xti when I took that hard fall on the ice last winter? (I plan on sending it in for a tuneup when the 5d II comes in regardless).

Note: all I am enquring about is the focus.

ISO 400, 50mm, f/1.8, 1/400.

Hi.

Because the shutter speed, impossible to get this kind of blurry image. Even if the subject moves (or the camera), 1/400 freeze people running, mostly in a APS-C camera. What could happen is that the camera couldn't focus because the low light. If you were looking through the viewfinder and the image looked sharp, so the problem will be weirder. Anotehr thing that came to my mind is the lense. I don't know if Canon have released a lens for APS-C of f/1.8. That lens sounds more for a 35mm format than APS-C and using that type of lense in an APS-C camera will probably be the problem. The aperture may be too much for the sensor size, I guess, since I have never had a f/1.8 when having the XTi. Just the kit lense and a very cheap Sigma 70-300 (of course, all pictures weren't so sharp like using good cristals in 35mm format camera).

Well... that may help.

I'm falling asleep...

Have an nice day :)

Leo :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Anotehr thing that came to my mind is the lense. I don't know if Canon have released a lens for APS-C of f/1.8. That lens sounds more for a 35mm format than APS-C and using that type of lense in an APS-C camera will probably be the problem. The aperture may be too much for the sensor size, I guess, since I have never had a f/1.8 when having the XTi. Just the kit lense and a very cheap Sigma 70-300 (of course, all pictures weren't so sharp like using good cristals in 35mm format camera).
Leo,

Good point about the 1/400 sec and blur! I can't see where Rachel says its an APS-C body, but if it's the Canon Rebel XSi then the central focus point should be used and even more accurate the Canon 1.8 lens, in fact any lens at least f2.8 or wider! This camera, and all the lenses need to go to the service center to be calibrated together.

Rachel, before you do that, check this lens out on your 5DII.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rachel,

The Xti is one of the best cameras out using a lens at f2.8 or better. I would be very surprised if an XTi that's working couldn't produce as good an 8x10 picture as the 5D such that most folk couldn't say which is which in sharpness.

Asher

dickon clark

Just a tip. When I studied photography afew years ago my teacher said always focus on the nearest eye, 1000 wedding later thats what I've always done and its worked. On my mark 2 5d I hace one focusing square centre frame, I focus on the eyes hold the button half way down and compose the shot, always works. Forget multiple focus squares, they are for people who like total auto. I reckon a focusing square chose the backdrop in your picture

Good luck
http://www.dickonclark.co.uk

Even though your original posted picture is OOF, it's still a keeper!

I've been having similar issues with my nikon 85mm f1.4 in that I swear it's back focusing.I cannot get a focused picture using auto focus handheld in almost any light. On a tripod focus is better. Even using manual and the focus indicator, I get back focusing. So lately I've been disregarding autofocus and the use of the indicator. I've been using my viewfinder and just releasing the shutter when the eyes are visually crisp. I focus(with my eyes) on the highlights, especially, in the eyes. When they look crisp, then the eyes are crisp.

Plus, I've read, most cheaper bodies don't autofocus as well under f2.8.

Rachel Foster

I've taken a few months hiatus from shooting and have picked up a couple of helpful books. I think those two things will help me see things a bit differently and figure it out.

I"m embarrassed to say my ophthalmologist might have found a small factor contributing to the problem.