• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Street Monochtome/B&W Street Monochrome Open Call: My choice, Kirstie on couch

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Stret Photograph has been a favorite for street photographers. Today we use a lot of cameras with color. Some have built in film choices. These are very sophisicated.

Here I have shot in color and later used a filter for the conversion.

Asher Kelman: Kirstie on Abandoned couch!

Fugi GFX GF 32-64 mm
Photoshop CC 2018
Nik Silver Efex Pro for B&W

Looking forward to your Monochrome Street choices!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Stret Photograph has been a favorite for street photographers. Today we use a lot of cameras with color. Some have built in film choices. These are very sophisicated.

_DSF2591_Kirstie on Couch B&W_900.jpg

Fugi GFX GF 32-64 mm
Photoshop CC 2018

Asher

Interesting content.

_DSF2591_Kirstie on Couch B&W_900.jpg

Fugi GFX GF 32-64 mm
Photoshop CC 2018

Asher

I imagine the sofa is there to be picked up in the trash? Surely it is not there to sit and watch the world go by, but that would be a great idea!

Wolfgang Plattner

hi

this was shot during an exhibition event in front of Karlskirche, Vienna. We had a quite spectacular financial scandal (caused by politicians of a regional government) in Austria and some clever students showed for the public, what the financial dimensions of this scandal were in comparison to possibilities of public spending. More informations here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8NM9T5-Dyg

Asher Kelman

"The Delivered Photograph": Cases where a picture does indeed speak with us!

Michael,

These two images are finely done and have an intense concentration of private humanity, each focussed on one individual.

Backstreet

Michael Nagel: A repost: Taken Somewhere in China

Numb

Michael Nagel: Repost: Taken in Germany

Michael,

Allow me to continue! Yes, there are titles, but they ar not over detailed or so specific, but istead lightly "float" below the images, and so dont set interfering boundaries for our minds.

The unique benefit of this kind of art is an open-ended generosity. Here, you, Michael, the artist, do not "box us in" with more description than needed!

There is, after all, already ample posture, presence, context, movement and intensity for us to imagine, on our own, possible motivations, purpose and significance.

The artist has to believe that without further education, we are equipped to appreciate the full richness to the nth of his/her inner mental ideas, exported, this into a two dimensional creation: "The Delivered Photograph". It requires and can stand no editing. It needs no details of how it was conceived or made or even when this came to be created. That is the beauty of the perfect "Arc of Communication" built on trust the artist has in our ability to tune in to what is essentially an exported dream.

This is a case where a "title" would likely as not constrain this freedom we have to explore, consider and allow our minds to drift to these streets and recreate a richer set of circumstances than could be explained.

When the artist leaves gaps, like this, the work speaks less of the craft in making the work, but more of the mind and esthetics behind it. So here are two exceptional examples of an idea from a persons head exported, so that we can grasp the possibilities according to what we bring to his creation.

These pictures both have voices, so they can speak for themselves and what they say, is in part written by you, Michael, the artist, and in part by responses your work evokes.

I hope this description approaches, at least in part, you own thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!

Asher

Leonard Cohen, "There's a crack, a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in!" in "Anthem"

Michael Nagel

{...} I hope this description approaches, at least in part, you own thoughts on the subject. {...}
The intention was to have one person - clearly visible but not recognizable. The composition of the picture taken in Germany had formed in my mind before I saw the opportunity. The picture in China just happened - with intended motion blur.

Now this was fooling around with contre-jour, lines and hard contrast:

Best regards
Michael

Asher Kelman

The intention was to have one person - clearly visible but not recognizable. The composition of the picture taken in Germany had formed in my mind before I saw the opportunity. The picture in China just happened - with intended motion blur.

Now this was fooling around with contre-jour, lines and hard contrast:

Best regards
Michael

Yes, Michael,

The second picture, with the fellow moving to the left, is the most agreeable and calming.

This technique is very appealing and you employ it very cleanly and with applomb!

(I also shoot mostly against the light, as you can see in the very first picture, then rescue the shadows. You will also see it in all the "Devoted Friends" images I have recently posted as well as all the pictures of flowers by the new windows I designed for exactly that photographic purpose in my kitchen!)

I see that you end up with far more dramatic finish and the center one especially is worthy to be chosen in a professional competition! If it were only by Bresson you would have a lot more money available to you!

I, unfortunately, seem to sacrifice that drama, too readily and almost "hide" the effect!

Wolfgang Plattner's "Cows in the Road" , (above in post #2), are very effective with this style! Like you, he doesn't fiddle with the shadows and so the images are so bold and get ine's attention effectively.

Asher Kelman

Michael,

I now prefer the 3rd picture, this one

...as it seems to be open ended, the person is moving towards “the future” on the right!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I was eating a salmon kebab and Jasmine came by with her mother to sit next to us.

Asher Kelman: “Finding Jasmine!”

So that’s how she is invited to interview for pictures. Jasmine, the young lady with the impressive sandles!!

Asher