• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I'm Stumped On the Composition of This Collage

Rachel Foster

Well, I've "hypo'd," I've "thetico'd" and I've "deduct'od." (Apologies to Clark Hull.) I've done a little this, done a little that, and while this is not final form, it pleases me.

2392706668_98394584c1_o.jpg

I call it Child Flower.

T

The Unguru

What is Art? Art marketing and the value of the art's work!

It depends on what you're aiming for, Asher. When a graduate student, my thesis supervisor told me that any research left unpublished was a waste of time because nobody could ever know about or learn from it. That was science and what we're discussing now is art but the aims - to my mind - are similar; namely, quests for elegance and understanding, and communication of an idea or vision.
I cannot say you are wrong on Art but on Science my remarks have more authority.

Like the Buddha met on the road, shoot that supervisor who's sweeping statement was wrong. Einstein did not publish until he was convinced that what he had learned was worthy!

To take any art beyond the level of hobby and into the marketplace can involve compromise that diminishes creativity and evolution as an artist.

That's a possible hazard. That's an excellent point to be made here!

An advantage that science has over art is the greater funding available for creative pursuit with less need to compromise the latter because of the marketplace. Scientific papers sit in journals forever with their significance not always appreciated until years after publication. But who's ever heard of a starving scientist?

You have not heard of starving scientists because they a forced to give up when they have to support a family and cannot get funding for their work. For example I know a gifted well published scientists who has discovered new natural compounds and is clearly remarkable and worthy of support. However there are few funded university positions and the grant process requires a laboratory from which to get funds. I'd guess that 1/3 of scientists don't get funded and they deserve it. This directs funding to super powerful lab chiefs.

New works of art are hung in galleries only for weeks, then pulled if they fail to sell. It's a hard life to survive as a beginning artist without making compromises. Those who do so are admirable but those who do not are simply being practical.
Michael,

Here you are dealing with what I have contentiously called ART. Meaning another class of work, precisely because it beside it's inherent worth it depends on

• marketing
  • fashion
  • culture
  • education
  • knowledge of art to which the works refer
  • availablity of wall space in galleries.
  • other points you can think of.

Science has to be honest first and foremost and work driven by fashion often robs the scientist of his/her open mind and originality. This keeps the earth flat!

We may make this subject a separate thread shortly! The fact that you pull thought in a new direction is valuable.

T

The Unguru

Rachel, you exercise is just the thing you must do. Sometimes it's helpful to put things aside and then return. Let the work you have done percolate!

T

The Unguru

I think art is something that we feel. Our feelings and all that we see in our lives is transmited in an image.
If we have a theme, each of us is going to see it differently. I think that is the beauty of art ; it's personal and open. It's personal because we put a piece of soul in it and open because we share it with others.
Learning how to paint, draw, photo, edit etc is very important , so that we can accomplish with technical means what we image/ want from our creations. But the teory is just a part of this. The important thing is what one does with all the info.

Works of art can't be loved by everyone. Is hard to please all. I believe it's impossible and that is not the purpose of art. In my opinion, if it's meant just to please the eyes, then it becomes empthy. It has to have emotions, a main idea. When I see a photo or a painting, I feel a part of what his/her creator felt. That is wonderful ! :)

Everyone should read these words from a young mouth! Bookmark it!

Rachel Foster

Thank you, Asher. At the moment, I've achieved my goal. I like this and it now pleases me. I'll see how I feel next week. If it still pleases me, then that tells me something.