• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shooting a cycle race

Rachel Foster

Sports photography is an area I know nothing about. But...I've been invited to shoot this event this weekend. It's a big deal for our little town and good exposure for me.

Advice for a sports photography know-nothing? I have a Canon 5dII, 24-105 IS, 70-100 (not IS but L series), 50mm f/1.8, 100 mm macro.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Rachel

far from flowers!

Shoot fast shutter speed, push the ISO if you need, better some noise than unwanted motion blur.

If you focus fast, you may also -but not only- shoot wide open to isolate your subject while keeping some context…

Hope you'll post some here!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Shoot fast shutter speed, push the ISO if you need, better some noise than unwanted motion blur.

If you focus fast, you may also -but not only- shoot wide open to isolate your subject while keeping some context…

Hope you'll post some here!
Hi Rachel,

Nicolas hit the main points. I'd add to that use between f5.6 and f8 and be prefocused on a spot. Just concentrate on getting the cycles as they come through. Shoot wide. You have enough pixels. Use RAW plus small jpg to maximize your CF cards. Don't use smaller than 8GB cards. Change therm when nearly full to make sure you don't lose something special changing under pressure.

Mydigitaldiscount.com is a great place for cards.

Make sure you cards are already formatted and have enough cards for twice what you'd expect. Don't stop to chimp. when you do that, new files are stored in between other images and you risk writing overlap and corruption. Will only happen once in 10 cards fills, but when it does it's a disaster.

Good luck. :)

Asher

BTW, where are their pics from last year? I didn't find them!

nicolas claris

Using the 24-105?

Really depends of he distance from you to the subject and how you want to frame.

On such occasion I would bring ALL my lenses (yes needs a small truck ;-).

You can get stunning shost with wide angles as well as with long focal lens.

The longer the easier to get nice bokeh. Provided that you wish some.

I've never shot a cycle race, but I can imagine easily that they are plenty occasions to look differently than what you see in your newspaper/magazines.

Look down to the pedals, the feet, the wheels, I'm sure there are graphic delights there, provided that you get some light to make metal shine! And if it rains too!

Don't stick to what you've seen before, forget that and plundge into the magical of muscles at work, hear that strange noise/music of running bicycles, and the crowd rumor!

Get excited and bring back that feeling! Thank you in advance.

Rachel Foster

Now I'm getting excited!

BTW, what qualifies as a "fast" CF card?

Also I can get REAL close. My studio is on the 2nd floor of a building at Main and Broadway..race center. Plus I'll have priority as invited shooter.

nicolas claris

Now I'm getting excited!

BTW, what qualifies as a "fast" CF card?

Also I can get REAL close. My studio is on the 2nd floor of a building at Main and Broadway..race center. Plus I'll have priority as invited shooter.

From your studio, you will have a beautifull view of… the racers' backs!

Cycling is on the road! too much people in front? lie down on ground and shoot upward!

nicolas claris

Can't afford it, Nicolas. Economy in Michigan sucks.

I can understand easily, economy sucks everywhere!

Try to find a beter price… here?
if you google "compare prices" you'll find plenty sites to find good deals.

What I mean is that the card is where you put your work on, you have to be 100% confident!
With the Canon bodies I NEVER had any problem with Sandisk cards…

BTW I wouldn't follow Asher's advice to shoot raw AND Jpegs. Shoot raw only, save space and time.
When back to your studio if you want instant JPEGs from raw files, use our Friend Michael Tapes free utility that you can download there:
http://www.rawworkflow.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw-utility/
there are both version for Macs and PCs.
I use it, it is amazingly fast!

Mike Shimwell

CF cards..how does this one look?

Rachel, I've got some fast (133x) 16Gb Transcend cards and I don't (very subjectively) think they are as quick as the Sandisk extreme 4 cards. However, depending on the 5D2 buffer capacity you may be OK. I've never had problems with the 1Ds3, but then I haven't shot a cycle race.

Enjoy and good luck. Don't get run over:)

Mike

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Rachel,
I looked at the .pdf of the course and here's some thoughts to consider:
The Pro course is 100 miles in length. Assuming you'll want to shoot the start, where are you shooting thereafter?
Formulate an escape plan, have a car and driver ready and plan to drive to an alternate location.
(Remember though, you've got to get back to shoot the finish)

I'd expect the field to thin considerably after the first 25 miles or so. You'd then have an opportunity to shoot individuals, separated from the pack.

I think due East of the start might be a good location. Can you get to Rt. M20? About 30 miles east will bring you to the first of 2 "Feed Zones". I bet there's some good photo opps there.

Remember to shoot the turns. Plan to always be on the inside of a turn. That's the shortest distance through the turn and that's where the leaders will be.

Lastly, it's a long race. Think way ahead where the sun will be. What you think might be an ideal location (scouted in the morning) turns out to be a disaster late in the day.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Rachel Foster

I'm having trouble getting the focus fast enough.

I did almost like this shot due to the look on the child's face. This was with the Rebel. Focus stinks, though.

small2338.jpg

Focus on Rebel

Hi Rachel

If I may offer some advice re the focus when shooting action......

Obviously panning practice is essential, but also try this:

Set your focus to AI SERVO

Set shutter to continuous shooting

and
use custom function "04" set to "3"

That moves your focus function to the * button on the back, allowing you to fiocus continuously while your shutter finger is then free to shoot bursts.

This is not sport, but fast movement in a similar plane.

Example here:
106841737.jpg

Rachel Foster

I've been working on getting a panning shot for over a year. This is not a great one, but it's my personal best...so far. Men's pro (75 minute race) at the end of the race.

ISO 100, f/18, 1/60, 5dII, 24-105, handheld.

small92.jpg

And the winner....

ISO 400, f/18, 1/125.

smwinnermenspro.jpg

I don't yet know his name. Good race. They hit upwards of 38 mph (61.15 khp). I'm looking forward to next year!

And....thanks, Johann! Your help was greatly appreciated and made a big difference.

Cool, good luck, have confidence have fun im sure you'll be ok. When i was asked to photograph the championship games of the HTBFFL ( a small flag football league in my area)I used the following lens. 55-250mm was wide enough to capture everything surrounding the kids the foot ball and had enough zoom to get close during specific plays or facial reactions during touchdowns or interceptions.

http://www.cameta.com/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-0-5-6-IS-Zoom-Lens-32129.cfm

Harald Benz

Hi Rachel,

Too bad I didn't find this post of yours earlier. Wasn't around much lately. Sorry.
Never took shots at a race but before I became "and", I actually did cycle racing on an amateur level way back in Germany when i was " young and fit". ;)
Would have liked to give you some pointers from a racer's perspective.
Hey, maybe next time. Feel free to email me.