• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Adventures in Photoshop Continue!

Rachel Foster

This is the tale of a smal, insignificantl villager (me) who has battled the dragon (photoshop). The battle rages on but the villager has made progress. The dragon has retreated to her lair to lick her wounds while the villager (foolishly) parades through the streets crowing over winning the (small) battle.

I used layers! On my own!

This is the untouched image and the Layered image next to it.

smallgobuntouchedframed.jpg
smallgoblevelsframed1.jpg

The image is not "there" yet but....I did layers!

The villager thanks the village elders who so generously offered time and expertise since the battle was engaged some two years hence; specifically, King Asher and wise Lord Armes.

Rachel Foster

Oh, my previous post was misleading! King Asher and Lord Armes are not the only elders who have been so very, very patient with me and photoshop. In fact, the list is too long to name all of the kind elders who have taken pity on the village fool.

(I do love the fairy-tale metaphors!)

Rachel Foster

Thanks, Ruben! Do you prefer the unedited shot?

I know I'm groping toward something, I'm just having difficulty articulating it. That's where OPF can be the most helpful, I think.

fahim mohammed

Way to go Rachel. That out of the way, please tell me what you would like to achieve with layers for this
photo?

May you keep making progress.

Rachel Foster

I just wanted to figure out layers!

What I'd like to do with this image is make the edges stand out more starkly against the black.

fahim mohammed

Rachel, I took the liberty to do a few seconds of ps to get this..

p128543039.jpg

Just mid point increase in curves and levels to set the black point.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACHEL.

Rachel Foster

By golly, I'm beginning to get it!

Referring back to step by step instructions Asher gave me some time back (a bride's photo), I attacked a recent, not-very-good photo. My exposure on a series of lighthouse photos was off. It just before dawn, and dark. I was trying to capture the crash of waves against the breakwall. Unfortunately, the contrast is lacking. Using this to practice layers, I tried pumping up the brightness on just the crash of waves. It's inexpertly done, a mediocre edit on a mediocre image...but I did it! Layers!

smalllighthouseforlayers1.jpg
smalllighthouseforlayers2.jpg

ErikJonas

Banned

Layers?....I like the image Rachel but it looks crooked to me..maybe needing to be rotated a slight bit to the Right....Am i the only one seeing this?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Erik,

Layers?....I like the image Rachel but it looks crooked to me..maybe needing to be rotated a slight bit to the Right....Am i the only one seeing this?

It appears that in the edited image the centerline of the lighthouse tower is about 1.6° counterclockwise of vertical.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Right/left, up/down, past/future is all relative. I think the lighthouse is fine, maybe you have to angle yourself properly :)

I suffer from severe astigmatism, and imagine using a rf with that!

ErikJonas

Banned

Fahim....In a snap shot world the light house is just fine....But i was under the impression that most photographers here are or are aspiring to more then just simply snap shots...I could just say nothing to her but that does not benefit her at all....It seems noticably off.

Doug 1.6?..That seems like a lot....Whats your point of referance?....It is possible that the lighthouse is a bit crooked,foundation shifting what ever....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
By golly, I'm beginning to get it!

Referring back to step by step instructions Asher gave me some time back (a bride's photo), I attacked a recent, not-very-good photo. My exposure on a series of lighthouse photos was off. It just before dawn, and dark. I was trying to capture the crash of waves against the breakwall. Unfortunately, the contrast is lacking. Using this to practice layers, I tried pumping up the brightness on just the crash of waves. It's inexpertly done, a mediocre edit on a mediocre image...but I did it! Layers!

smalllighthouseforlayers1.jpg
smalllighthouseforlayers2.jpg
Excellent job, Rachel,

The main thing you have done is commenced to work with layers. The marvel is that it's utterly non-destructive and you can return to the image and paint over a black area a little white to bring back a detail in the current layer than black masked. You can fine tune this by altering the % of the strength of the brush!

Impressive how the waves now standout! In reality, you might have some of the crests glinting but not everything bright. But that you learn by looking again at the water at night.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks, Asher. Layers have been a real challenge.
Rachel,

If you walk that path, there's no real obstacle to your journey. You just need to keep going and then there's no stopping you. With what you've already achieved, it's only practice you need.

BTW, I realize now that masking in layers is the solution for those with any shaking or unsteady hand. With paints, the edge cannot be so readily refined. With masking in PS, it's a simple matter of changing the size and intensity of the brushes.

Good luck.

Asher