• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Beauty of Simplicity

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi

... a kind of Wabi Sabi ...
(windlight on a wet gardentable during rain with reflections of ambient trees)

Wabi Sabi by Wolfgang Plattner, on Flickr

Wolfgang,

This is so unusual! My first thought was what on earth is it! What could it mean.

I am very interested to learn more. Was this close by and you just too a shot or did you have to use a long lens?

Was this image cropped? If so, I would love to see the original frame as the surrounding area would place it in context for me.

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Asher

this is the version without the black frame. Maybe this one is less irritating ...
It's done with the XF35mm on the X-T2, the dimensions are original, without any cropping.
The windlight stands on the wet surface of a gardentable, the shot was done close by.

Asher Kelman

Yes, I also connect better to the simple version as it’s more consistent with Wabi Sabi.

I am not yet in synch with the term Windlight. Is it the lighthouse type light which can signal wind speeds? Or is it the virtual game where folk create lighting in their resident territories with amazing ccrafting of clouds and skies.

What is your “WindLight” here?

Asher

Asher Kelman

just found another expression: table lantern

I admit I had transient thoughts about a “hurricane light” or “table lantern”, designed to not blow out in the wind by having a glass cylinder or globe to shield the paragon oil fed wick burning and giving us light, in the good old days of camping!

But then I used Google and felt crushed for mi obvious ignorance!

I was feeling so “out of it” and “unhip” as I knew nothing of the massive following of the online game world of windlight!

I also discovered my further ignorance of matters an educated person really should be aware of, in basic facts about how things work in the modern world in particular, in what lighthouses can do in transmitting actual wind speeds in their flashing. I had previously thought that lighthouses are solely used as markers for naivigation!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher

this is the version without the black frame. Maybe this one is less irritating ...
It's done with the XF35mm on the X-T2, the dimensions are original, without any cropping.
The windlight stands on the wet surface of a gardentable, the shot was done close by.[/CENTER]

Wolfgang,

Now I am duly humbled and also relieved that my ignorance of possible meanings, is actually no barrier at all to appreciating the shadows of the lantern on this simple surface. Simplicity is a virtue I appreciate here!

Thanks!

Asher​