• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Agricultural - Industrial

I decided to take the back roads through the northern Illinois bean and corn fields on the way to a destination early this morning. The overcast looked as if it might begin to break up and when that happens, you never know when the light from the heavens effect might appear. Such light seems to show up when there's no subject to go with it, or the other way around. You know how it goes.

Anyway, I wound up with a sort of interesting sky and an it-will-have-to-do sort of subject.

original.jpg

Power Transmission​

Funny thing about photography: often what attracts the eye to a scene isn't what is visible, but rather the sounds and movements of the moment. In this case, the clatter of corn leaves in the wind and the clouds moving quickly in different directions at different altitudes. The still image simply doesn't cut it in such situations. Maybe it's time to get serious about learning video. Maybe.

Taken with my trusty old 90mm ts-e lens.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Funny thing about photography: often what attracts the eye to a scene isn't what is visible, but rather the sounds and movements of the moment. In this case, the clatter of corn leaves in the wind and the clouds moving quickly in different directions at different altitudes. The still image simply doesn't cut it in such situations. Maybe it's time to get serious about learning video. Maybe.

Yes, and in this case, those are not wholly left behind in this "still visual only" medium.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I decided to take the back roads through the northern Illinois bean and corn fields on the way to a destination early this morning. The overcast looked as if it might begin to break up and when that happens, you never know when the light from the heavens effect might appear. Such light seems to show up when there's no subject to go with it, or the other way around. You know how it goes.

Anyway, I wound up with a sort of interesting sky and an it-will-have-to-do sort of subject.

Taken with my trusty old 90mm ts-e lens.

original.jpg

Power Transmission​

Tom,

A suggestion - perhaps taking the picture from just behind some swaying corn would add the esthetic you find missing.

Asher

Good idea, Asher! In this instance I wanted to keep detail in the of the bright sky at the left side of the horizon, and the shutter speed required for that meant the corn field wound up underexposed. A manual, or HDR, blend of multiple exposure are great ways around the dynamic range limitation, but these days I prefer the single shot approach.

I must be getting lazy with the passage of years, man.