• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Read the eyes.....

Rick Otto

Just walking around the zoo, thankful that there's a place I can see non-native species to photograph, and I saw this Leopard just staring at me...

Notice two things .... I did, right away... Notice the intelligence and sadness in the eyes. Then, focus on the wire cage in the forground.. How it contrasts what is supposed to be a beautiful thing to see...

I took the shot ................... and then drove the 125 miles back home. On my way home, I couldn't help but notice several large herds of Antelope out in the prairie near the freeway - running free.. Now - I'm not sure that I'm thankful anymore that there's a place I can see non-native species .. just to photograph..

Everyone get's their own opinion about zoo's - and I respect them all... I guess I've just changed mine.

r
5463877312_2954260f2c_b.jpg

Rick - Leopard

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just walking around the zoo, thankful that there's a place I can see non-native species to photograph, and I saw this Leopard just staring at me...

Notice two things .... I did, right away... Notice the intelligence and sadness in the eyes. Then, focus on the wire cage in the forground.. How it contrasts what is supposed to be a beautiful thing to see...

I took the shot ................... and then drove the 125 miles back home. On my way home, I couldn't help but notice several large herds of Antelope out in the prairie near the freeway - running free.. Now - I'm not sure that I'm thankful anymore that there's a place I can see non-native species .. just to photograph..

Everyone get's their own opinion about zoo's - and I respect them all... I guess I've just changed mine.

r

Rick - Leopard

When I photograph zoo animals, of course the fence can get in the way. If not, we'd have less need to actually feed the animals! so I like to use my 200 mm lens at f 2.8 and, focussing on the animal, render the wire fence invisible. Sometimes, as in this case, the remnant ghosts of the wire can be effectively cloned away to yield a perfect photograph.

But likely you know that. If so, why the wire fence? Is it the drama you wanted?

Asher

Rick Otto

r[/SIZE]

Rick - Leopard

When I photograph zoo animals, of course the fence can get in the way. If not, we'd have less need to actually feed the animals! so I like to use my 200 mm lens at f 2.8 and, focussing on the animal, render the wire fence invisible. Sometimes, as in this case, the remnant ghosts of the wire can be effectively cloned away to yield a perfect photograph.

But likely you know that. If so, why the wire fence? Is it the drama you wanted?

Asher

Hi Asher....

Yup - for this picture, I didn't want a typical "Portrait" of a Leopard.... I wanted to show a beautiful "Caged" wild animal, leaving the viewer to assume what they choose to interpret from those very expressive eyes.. combined with a steel enclosure that's now his home forever..

I see sadness - others can just assume he's hungry and sees a steak (me)...

tks,

Rick

Don Ferguson Jr.

Hi Asher....

Yup - for this picture, I didn't want a typical "Portrait" of a Leopard.... I wanted to show a beautiful "Caged" wild animal, leaving the viewer to assume what they choose to interpret from those very expressive eyes.. combined with a steel enclosure that's now his home forever..

I see sadness - others can just assume he's hungry and sees a steak (me)...

tks,

Rick
Sorry, I just don't see sadness .I see natural eyes fixated on what is in his present field of view. And the fence takes away and clutters the photo IMO.

Otto Haring

r

Rick - Leopard

Nice!!!! :)

Tracy Lebenzon

Many years ago I worked in a Zoo as a work study student. One of my biggest thrills was a time I visited the feline house. The photo above reminded me of an encounter I had with a black leopard. I came around a corner and was nearly face to face with this big cat. He was behind bars, or from his perspective, I was. The gaze was much the same as shown above. I said “Sorry!” to the magnificent creature and backed away.

One of the zoo keepers said that the felines commonly suffer from depression and that it showed itself by lethargy and what she said was a sad look on their face.

I guess captives everywhere live with the same feelings.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

r

Rick - Leopard

Rick,

Your reaction, one of empathy s understandable and valid to a considerable extent. However, zoos do have value these days in preserving the very existence of creatures of the wild.

Every so often, we do need reminders of what we do as "masters" of the planet.

Asher

Asher