• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Review: The GXR with a 50mm Macro 2.5 in the rain?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Warning, this exercise merely shows what's possible. Don't repeat this without the caveat that you might damage your camera! :)

Well, Ricoh does not make any claims that the camera is waterproof. However, It cannot be that there are gaps for the water to just flow in freely. anyway, that's my theory and I decided to brave the rain and try to photograph some plants, what's in an alley and do it until I was a little wet. So I just wore no jacket so I wouldn't forget the weather by being too distracted, LOL!

My only protective technique was to think the shot first and then spend some 20 seconds shooting watch out for large drops. When that occurred, I wiped the camera ASAP with a paper towel I keep in my pocket and then went on shooting. I did try to have the lens pointing downwards most of the time so the lens did not get wet immediately.

Well, the camera worked fine. About 1 in 5 pictures were incorrectly focused, but that did not interfere with my results. The only limit is my own artistry, LOL!

_0034597_600pxl.jpg

Asher Kelman: Rain # 1

Available light, f2.8 1/150 sec 400 ISO, exposure bias - 0.7 EV

_0034610_600pxl.jpg

Asher Kelman: Rain #2

Available light, f2.8 1/110 sec 400 ISO, exposure bias - 0.7 EV

_0034609_600pxl.jpg

Asher Kelman: Rain # 3

Available light, f2.8 1/200 sec 400 ISO, exposure bias - 0.7 EV

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Lots of puddles and wet tarmac. In a brief slowing of the rain:

_0034626_600pxl.jpg

Asher Kelman: Rain # 7

Available light, f2.8 1/35 sec 400 ISO, exposure bias - 0.7 EV

_0034624_600pxl.jpg

Asher Kelman: Rain # 8

Available light, f2.8 1/60 sec 400 ISO, exposure bias - 0.7 EV

_0034622_600pxl.jpg

Asher Kelman: Rain # 9

Available light, f2.8 1/45 sec 400 ISO, exposure bias - 0.7 EV

As usual, no regional editing has been made to find detail in the shadows or any other such changes. This is just out of the camera jpg, batch reduced, minimally locally sharpened in the brightness channel and a slight S curve added.

Again, you are welcome to play with these just for reposting in OPF here to see how you might like to edit them! :)

Asher