• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Scanning service

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Clayton,

These are fine if you have weeks to wait for the one's from India or a week from Costa Rica or wherever. The second choice is not unreasonable. However, in many cases there is little possibility to redo the scan for different needs as one would if the scan was available on one's desk. Today, the scanners are so inexpensive at $60 to $750 that one can get excellent scans at home. I'd take a picture to a store that sells the scanners and get then to scan it on the equipment available.

If you have a paying client, you will be more responsive and if this is for your own art then you will have the immediacy of getting your idea into a workflow while inspired!

Good luck!

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Clayton,

I'm not sure what level of quality you are looking for, but assuming you want high quality, you need to keep in mind that in scanning the operator is just as important, if not more important, than the scanner. Inexpensive places do not always hire the finest operators...

A good place for quality scanning is Nancy Scans (www.nancyscans.com). I have used them and many pros use their services as well. To put it straight, they know what they are doing.

Otherwise, as Asher mentioned, getting your own scanner is not necessarily expensive unless you get an Imacon or a drum scanner. With the proper knowledge you can get very good scans from a below-$1000 scanner.

Alain

Phil Marion

now if they only made a decent scanner that had an automatic feeder that could handle a stack of my old 4x6s...then they could eliminate the scanner (ME!!)

There is a place here in NY called MY OWN COLOR LAB that rents an Imacon scanner for up to 4x5. I went in one day and came home with a few 400MB 16bit scanns of my 4x5 negatives....

Daniel Weisser

Another NYC Scanning Service

Hi All,

My partner and I provide scanning services here in NY. We use an Imacon 949. We hand-dust (retouch) each file. We're a small home-based business (read: freelancers who got out of the lab scene), so our prices are very low for the service you get. We even pickup and deliver in Manhattan. We also accept orders via insured/secure shipment. (UPS, DHL, etc.) Bulk rates are available.
I agree with Alain that the operator is as important as the scanner, and can tell you that places that do lots of really cheap scans factory-style are not looking at your work, not cleaning it, not checking the highlights and shadows numbers. We pay attention to our clients' work because we are artists ourselves.

Check out our site at http://sugarhillworks.com

Thanks,
Dan