• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Days Gone By

Chris Calohan

44541931511_ea9ce7af75_b_d.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chris,

What a treat!

This is a compelling picture where color plays a significant role in capturing and diverting our attention. At first we are drawn to an outside scene with trees and a remarkable horizontal yellow line of a curb opposite us. But is that the case?

Having looked at this photograph’s contemporaneous but monochrome sibling, here, I now have stopped wondering whether we are looking though a window to the outside street, or else seeing a reflection of the street on the exterior wall of the building. I know am confidant we are outside, after all.

But the fact that there is a kind of “trompe l'oeil” here, adds to the strength of this well executed photograph. After all, if we know everything with certainty, there is less to ponder and so art risks becoming, (admittedly very skilled craftsmanship), devoid of soul.

Asher