• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

We use high ISO more and more: how do you get rid of noise?

Chris Calohan

I am, however, quite interested in being able to use this algorithm. Perhaps a combination of the two will work best for my uses.

Arthur Haselden

I am not exactly sure that I understand how you reduce the noise, but the results are pretty good. However, there is a disadvantage to your process: the image is darker and the colours less saturated.

That is because I did the conversion from linear data in Images Plus. I estimated the appropriate gamma by eye using curves rather than just punching in a gamma conversion number.

Saturation is easily manipulated as well. I picked a saturation and brighness by eye. The only other thing was I did a white balance on the table cloth.

Arthur Haselden

I am, however, quite interested in being able to use this algorithm. Perhaps a combination of the two will work best for my uses.

Your method is pretty good, it definitely wipes out the noise. It shares one thing with other NR packages, it gives a painted with watercolors look. Neat Image is the strongest example of this.

I used to use Noise ninja with reduced smoothing setting. Sometimes I found it greatly magnified some detail in the image into an artifact. At normal settings it did not do this. So you had the choice of a smoothed, smeared look or one with strange lumps.