• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Smoke

Tim Armes

Hi all,

I'd recently seen a picture of smoke that I found interesting, and thought I'd give it ago myself...

If you have a rainy afternoon to kill, then this can make a great way to pass some time and experiment with lighting and post processing ideas.

Here are a few of my favourites:

smoke2.jpg

smoke4.jpg

smoke5.jpg

Regards,

Tim

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Tim

The groundhog woke you up!

I love the folded smoke spirals.

Can you share how you extracted the smoke and do you have the fainer wisps too?

Asher

Tim Armes

Hello,

I actually took the smoke on a pure black background in my "studio", and then inverted the image in Photoshop.

I coloured the images using the new split tone feature of Lightroom. The highlights and shadows have differing tones. I'd like to have done everything in LR, just for the fun of it, but it's missing the invert function.

There are other photos with the wisps. Here's one:

smoke3.jpg

I prefer the simpler ones, although the above may have use by designers as a knocked-back background.

Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tim,

Thanks for sharing. Is smoke captured differnetly on a white b.g,?

I find both paterns beautiful. The inverted in simpler the original bring spririts to visit, LOL!

We might have a challenge on photographs of smoke?

What do you think of that?

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Tim

Did you have to smoke to take these pics? (I love the ones from the 1st post)

Or did you protect your health, asking your assistant to smoke?:)

Tim Armes

:)

I used an incense stick for the smoke. I can't abide the smell of tabacco...

Besides, incense lasts longer.

Tim