• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

introduction/scenario

Hal Truitt

I work in a Dermatology clinic, with 4 providers. I maintain the PC network, and am the clinic photographer. I take before/after pictures of various surgical and cosmetic procedures.

Prior to my employment, and for the past 3 years, we have used full-featured point and shoot cameras - currently using a Sony DSC-H5 that is slightly over 2 years old. I've been experiencing some quirky behaviour from this camera, and my web research of the symptoms indicates eventual expensive repairs(replacement, that is). I'm considering purchasing a D-SLR, and here are my requirements:

1. Live View is a must, and will be used as the primary method of composing shots. I am often in an odd position while making the photographs - on the floor, stooping, bending over patients, stretching, etc.

2. Relative simplicity is important. Occasionally, the nurses in the clinic will use this camera. Again, Live View comes into play. I want them to be able to turn it on, frame the shot, and press the button. Even with point and shoot cameras, they don't have a good track record of getting properly focused shots. They may be successful 75% of the time. Smart as they all are, most of them don't have natural photographic instincts.

3. Macro mode is extremely important, as I am often within 24" of the subect; therefore, my choice of lens is critical. The nature of the photographs is such that detail on an area of skin, for example, must be clear, and must not be distorted or out of proportion. Just the forehead, just the cheek, just that little mole on the neck, just the rash on the back of the hands, etc. I need to be back far enough that the flash doesn't obliterate, but able to zoom in just a bit - so, I'm leaning towards a 28-80 (or whatever the equivalent lens is for a D-SLR) and maybe a ring flash.

Is this the appropriate discussion group?

Hal

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hal,

it's a matter of budget. If you have enough money get the Canon 5DII full frame (low light sensitivity, more pixels) with a 50 2.5 Macro lens and a ring light. I have that setup with a multiplier that goes with it for very close macro shots of skin lesions. You don't need a zoom lens, that one lens will do everything!

I have used that lens for every type of shot you can imagine in the space of an exam room, the OR or if you like in a portrait studio.

If you have less money then you might go with the 40D or 50D to get live view or the bargain camera, the Canon Rebel XSi. With the EF 50mm Macro, the center focus point for the XSi is switched on and that's very accurate. One needs an aperture as wide as f= 2.8 or better to use this center point.

If money is limited, then I heartily recommend the Canon G10 digicam or the Rico G200, both of which have live view, excellent glass and can handle all that you want with aplomb.

Of course, you could go Nikon with the D700, a more weather protected camera but on the same level imaging as the 5DII. It has less MP but so what!

I have experience with the Canon system, but Nikon makes excellent Macro lenses and high quality flash too. If the office was paying for it, it would be hard to leave behind more pixels in te 5DII but the focus is likely to be better with the Nikon in lower light and, even though I own no other nikon lenses, I'd go for the D700 package right now.

Still either way the G10, the GX200, 5DII or D700 you will do what you want to do!

Good luck and post some of your work!!

Asher