• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Rust & Stone: Simple Compositions

Ruben Alfu

20081220_MG_6618_3.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Fort San Lorenzo

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher my friend, are you teasing me about B&W?
Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Stuart

Actually, Stuart, I'm not. Looking at an image n greyscale is a good exercise as one can see the shapes and texture without the color. Your picture with the diagonal chain over the rock holds it own in B&W. It doesn't mean that's how it should be. Rather it's a comment on the structure of the image and how it might be effecting us. I'm getting O.T., but I look at B&W because then there are extra ways of printing, including platinum and carbon transfer. It's another way of spreading the enjoyment of your work.

Asher

StuartRae

Hi Asher,

Actually, Stuart, I'm not. Looking at an image n greyscale is a good exercise as one can see the shapes and texture without the color. Your picture with the diagonal chain over the rock holds it own in B&W. It doesn't mean that's how it should be. Rather it's a comment on the structure of the image and how it might be effecting us. I'm getting O.T., but I look at B&W because then there are extra ways of printing, including platinum and carbon transfer. It's another way of spreading the enjoyment of your work.

Of course you're not :) It's just that by now you should realise my dislike of B&W for most images. I quite understand what you're saying.

I won't do it myself, but if anyone wants to try a B&W conversion please feel free............

Regards,

Stuart

BTW, why do we say B&W when it's really greyscale?

Asher Kelman

20081220_MG_6618_3.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Fort San Lorenzo

The picture works as does the rusty canon, most likely. Once you load it with the explosive charge and the canon ball, it will clean itself! But they'd better clear away the trees first so they know what they are hitting!

Asher

Ruben Alfu

The picture works as does the rusty canon, most likely. Once you load it with the explosive charge and the canon ball, it will clean itself! But they'd better clear away the trees first so they know what they are hitting!

Asher

LOL, yes from this angle the canon seems to be of little use, actually that side has a little bay that was bigger in the 1600's.

Asher Kelman

Thanks, but how would you describe the material on which the bust is mounted?

Best regards,
Michael
The remark does not belong to that picture! Not my words anyway! See post ##25, LOL. sorry for the mixup that occurs as several images have broken links.

Asher

Beautiful archway with a nice touch of rust introduction, Ben. I can imagine walking through the scene to see where the path goes, pausing a moment to examine the grill, and then pausing again to tap the street cover with a toe to see what sort of sound it makes.

Asher Kelman

Here is one I shot today, didn't fit with what I had in mind but does fit perfectly for this theme!

rust.jpg

Ben,

I missed this where posted, but the discovery now is appreciated! Yes, this shows that art does not always speak for itself as lucidly as some assert it must always do. Under the banner of Rust and Stone, this works for me!

It also reminds me to catch up on my correspondence with my friends! :)

Asher

Michael Nagel

... I can see others might have used HDR or filters to exaggerate or bizarrely exploit the textures and markings in the stone. You left it simple. ...
Thanks Asher. Everything I wanted to see was already there, so why should I change it? Simplicity is probably the most difficult discipline in the age of digital post-processing.

Best regards,
Michael

fahim mohammed

p1349552878-5.jpg

Puts a little color in life. no?

Almost unsharpened. cron 28 asph.

Copied from Fahim's original thread on "Color". ADK. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Psaltis

Thanks for viewing and commenting on this one, Asher. I was trying to see what I could do with my new P&S (Canon S95.) I was trying to guide the viewer's eyes away from the edge, but to where? I have not figured that out yet... Does the angle not work for you?