• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon Ball Tree

Peter Dexter

Scientific name: Couroupita guianensis is an unusual tree native to the southern Caribbean. It has enormous fruits the size and weight of a canon ball and huge racemes of fragrant flowers. For it's prolific flower production it is frequently planted as a decorative tree in many Latin American countries. The city of Cali, Colombia has many mature plantings of this species throughout the city. It is interesting and fortunate that these "canon balls" don't drop with any frequency unlike coconuts which actually have a human injury statistic.

44613285995_87c8054664_b.jpg

44613280395_1fe958e91c_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fabulous tree! It must be something to see piles of these piled on the ground. Do they Galli over a week or so?

The flowers are so exotic and rich. Are the stems largecenough to be able to cut them for a vase?

Asher

Peter Dexter

I think you could but you would need a sturdy vase to hold them. In the areas where the trees have been planted you rarely see the cannon balls on the ground. Don't know why.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think you could but you would need a sturdy vase to hold them. In the areas where the trees have been planted you rarely see the cannon balls on the ground. Don't know why.

Folk might have an eye for them to feed their pigs and chickens!

Asher

Awesome looking flower. They look like they would cause damage if they fell off and hit something. You certainly wouldn't want to park your car under one of them if they fell off like acorns.