• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A7rII now, is it late?

Tareq Alhamrani

Hi all,

I am planning to buy Sony A7rII nowadays once i save the money, but is it late now as maybe soon Sony may announce a new A7r series? maybe A7rIII is nearby, maybe by end of this year or almost beginning of new year, so should i just wait a bit or just get A7rII regardless what new A7 model will come later, i want high mp Sony camera.

Wanted to go with A99ii but i have Canon lenses and no A-mount adapter from what i read, so my only option is A7rII or newer, not interested in Canon latest cameras with high mp to be honest.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi all,

I am planning to buy Sony A7rII nowadays once i save the money, but is it late now as maybe soon Sony may announce a new A7r series? maybe A7rIII is nearby, maybe by end of this year or almost beginning of new year, so should i just wait a bit or just get A7rII regardless what new A7 model will come later, i want high mp Sony camera.

Wanted to go with A99ii but i have Canon lenses and no A-mount adapter from what i read, so my only option is A7rII or newer, not interested in Canon latest cameras with high mp to be honest.

Tareq,

I don't think a Sony alpha series, A9 is going to appear before March of next year. The A7RII is such a great camera that you would be able to sell it at the first whiff of rumors of the actual appearance of the next version. Usually there is a 2-3 month gap between some camera site having a copy to review and general availability. That's when you can unload you previous camera as fast as you like! If you take $200 off your price, then you have used that camera for 6 months or more for just $10 a week or less!

I would consider once more the A99II, as it is a fabulous state of the art camera, (using the same sensor as the A7RII), with perhaps the fastest AF ever.

But if you are set on the Mirrorless A7series, as I am, the A7RII is a fabulous camera to which almost any lens can be adapted!

Just keep the box and accessories clean and in
Plastic ready for resale, "Mint, lightly used camera in a box"!

There is a better than even chance you won't want to ever sell it, anyway!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I beg to differ in my opinion.

The A7RII is surprisingly expensive, even more than the A7R was at the time of its presentation. On the other hand, other full frame cameras have seen their price drop regularly in the past decade. Therefore, it seems that Sony (and other camera manufacturers) have decided at the end of last year to stop competing on price and that their top camera will be sold at a premium price. Interestingly, there seem to be some price fixing going around, as discounters do not list these particular cameras on the Internet.

Sony also reduced the price of the A7R by 30-40% when the A7RII was presented. They do that on their premium camera lines: the RX-10 and RX-100 or A6000, for example.

I am simply expecting the A7RIII to be announced and I will get the A7RII when its price will have dropped 30-40%.

Tareq Alhamrani

The problem when the A7RIII will be announced and i didn't get that A7rII yet then i will think about A7RIII no doubt and i won't go with A7RII even if it is very cheap.

Asher Kelman

The problem when the A7RIII will be announced and i didn't get that A7rII yet then i will think about A7RIII no doubt and i won't go with A7RII even if it is very cheap.

Consider Tarek,

What do you need the camera for? I can manage with a Canon 6D while I am waiting and thinking about things. My son has my A7R and if need be I can use it.

What kind of photography do you do, anyway, that needs even 40MP?

Most photography can be done perfectly well with almost any make of camera from 16MP to 24 MP and for most of us, even the A7R is overkill.

If the A7RIII has 80 plus MP, then the files are going to consume an enormous amount of hard drive space! for what purpose. Unless you are making massive art pictures to be seen up close or photographing $50,000 dollar paintings or watches, such resolution is often redundant.

I want to make very large detail rich full length portraits, and I think I can justify the extra resolution. But frankly, the A7R files are pretty competitive with Phase One 80 MP files in my experience. Of course, there is actually more provable resolution in the hair looked at 6" from the print, but this is not of practical importance, at least for most of us.

Asher

Tareq Alhamrani

Consider Tarek,

What do you need the camera for? I can manage with a Canon 6D while I am waiting and thinking about things. My son has my A7R and if need be I can use it.

What kind of photography do you do, anyway, that needs even 40MP?

Most photography can be done perfectly well with almost any make of camera from 16MP to 24 MP and for most of us, even the A7R is overkill.

If the A7RIII has 80 plus MP, then the files are going to consume an enormous amount of hard drive space! for what purpose. Unless you are making massive art pictures to be seen up close or photographing $50,000 dollar paintings or watches, such resolution is often redundant.

I want to make very large detail rich full length portraits, and I think I can justify the extra resolution. But frankly, the A7R files are pretty competitive with Phase One 80 MP files in my experience. Of course, there is actually more provable resolution in the hair looked at 6" from the print, but this is not of practical importance, at least for most of us.

Asher

Honestly, this is no meaning because there are many using many new cameras that have high mp such as 5DsR and D810 and A7r and many converted to A7RII from A7r or went directly to A7rII, so i will never accept someone telling me not go with high end high mp or latest when many others doing it, so if you are telling me this then why others having those kind of cameras? i saw and read their points, there is no reason for them to have it, it is only they want it, show off, or they have budget, so it is not about NEED at all, and i am not thinking or talking about NEED at all.

Funny someone using 5D3 or 6D and then getting A7rII or 5DsR or 5D4 and saying WOW it is a big improvement? in what exactly if you are saying going higher mp isn't necessary or somehow overkill or pointless if not using it for what it is for?

And big files isn't a problem for me at all, i am used to huge files long time ago and i have drives, so this is not an issue for me.

Jerome Marot

Obviously, any new camera will have some additional capabilities.

The question, however, is whether you will benefit from them. I don't think I will.

Let me explain my reasoning. I decided against the A7R (first version). Sure, the camera is good, but:
-the resolution is not sufficiently higher than the one of the camera I have to make a noticeable difference
-it lacks in body stabilisation, which I need
-the shutter-induced vibrations are a problem.

The A7RII corrects all these problems, which are relevant to me, so I am interested. But the price is high and I can wait. I have other cameras to use in the mean time.

How could the A7RIII be improved? It could have:
-even higher resolution (although that is unlikely), I don't think that will be relevant because of lens limitation
-faster AF with more points... I don't need that (remember: this is about me, you may have different needs)
-better 4K video... I don't need that
-improved ergonomics, improved viewfinder... maybe, I would need to try

Therefore, my guess at present is that the A7RIII is unlikely to interest me. So I can wait and grab the A7RII for cheap. Obviously, you may have different needs and maybe waiting is not so great for you. Just as obviously, predicting the future is noticeably difficult and maybe the A7RIII will have capabilities I did not imagine and be of interest to me. In which case, I made the wrong choice. That's life.

Tareq Alhamrani

That is why i asked if i get A7rII these days it isn't any late if Sony suddenly announce about a new camera in A7 line mostly A7r line, i feel Sony trying to invade the market with many different models so they can cover more market or different shooters, it is like they are trying to force people about Sony models so they think more about Sony and slightly forget about Canon and Nikon, so i feel sad if i go with A7rII now or soon then in less than 1 year they announce about A7rIII or similar camera that is higher than A7RII [more mp, maybe better 4K, could be better high ISO, i am sure also better AF], all these are definitely things many are looking for.

Asher Kelman

That is why i asked if i get A7rII these days it isn't any late if Sony suddenly announce about a new camera in A7 line mostly A7r line, i feel Sony trying to invade the market with many different models so they can cover more market or different shooters, it is like they are trying to force people about Sony models so they think more about Sony and slightly forget about Canon and Nikon, so i feel sad if i go with A7rII now or soon then in less than 1 year they announce about A7rIII or similar camera that is higher than A7RII [more mp, maybe better 4K, could be better high ISO, i am sure also better AF], all these are definitely things many are looking for.

Tareq,

The point Jerome made so well is the value or not of a camera to him. I feel exactly the same: I have no need for faster focus or for better video, but don't, of course object to them. However why pay a premium for what one does not need?

Tareq, I do not care that others can have a "better" camera than me, nor do I complain when a Rolls Royce or Lambergini goes by! I might admire that such a thing exists, but only want to buy what I get value from.

If it's so important to you not to be outclassed by temporarily having an A7RII when just then an A7RIII comes out, then you might be happier waiting!

For me, the highest quality of full length portraits viewed at 6-12 inches from the print is what I seek, but for the moment I rely on getting as near to that as humanly possible by optimizing my technic and using what I already own

However, I would love to have a finer camera, but as I am spending too much money and time on completing a public sculpture, (and only shooting 2-3 portraits a month), I am holding off. I would be delighted with the A7RII or the A99II and produce more finely finished prints with them, but my art would be no better, just better subject to scrutiny!

The question I have for you Fareq is "What do you need or want in a camera against which anyone can offer you advice as to whether to hold out for the A7RIII"?

Asher

Tareq Alhamrani

Ok, i think i just try to save as i am going with A7rII, if Sony is announcing about new camera could be A7rIII or let it be A8 for example that is an improvement to A7rII and i still saving then i may think about that, in all cases i have to wait to save money and sell some bodies first then i may think about either A7rII or newer camera.

Asher Kelman

Enjoy the camera when you get it. I try to buy cameras "Refurbished". They often come with full warranties which can be extended for a modest fee.

I have never been disappointed! The cameras are likely just samples that were sent to dealers for teaching or opened for demonstrations!

Asher

Tareq Alhamrani

Enjoy the camera when you get it. I try to buy cameras "Refurbished". They often come with full warranties which can be extended for a modest fee.

I have never been disappointed! The cameras are likely just samples that were sent to dealers for teaching or opened for demonstrations!

Asher

Don't worry, i won't buy Refurbished, i always buy brand new cameras, the only non new cameras i bought are few film medium format cameras and one or 2 large formats.

Asher Kelman

Don't worry, i won't buy Refurbished, i always buy brand new cameras, the only non new cameras i bought are few film medium format cameras and one or 2 large formats.

Tareq,

I used to be filled with awe and satisfaction to open a brand new camera box and its assortment of included cards, manuals, quick start kits and vouchers. I felt so assured that I was getting the very best!

However, once I regularly rented cameras for special jobs, I realized that such awe is misplaced, as a camera is a camera! For me at least, I do not want to waste hard earned cash, so I look for excess that rental companies buy in bulk when a new camera first comes out or else "mint" copies just used as demos.

At least in the USA, working with B&H, Adorama, Best Buy and the like, I have never received a camera with any faults or that can't be returned!

So for those who also want their money to go further, don't be fearful of buying an open box with a great discount from a reputable dealer.

There is no shame in not getting a virgin camera!

Asher

Tareq Alhamrani

Tareq,

I used to be filled with awe and satisfaction to open a brand new camera box and its assortment of included cards, manuals, quick start kits and vouchers. I felt so assured that I was getting the very best!

However, once I regularly rented cameras for special jobs, I realized that such awe is misplaced, as a camera is a camera! For me at least, I do not want to waste hard earned cash, so I look for excess that rental companies buy in bulk when a new camera first comes out or else "mint" copies just used as demos.

At least in the USA, working with B&H, Adorama, Best Buy and the like, I have never received a camera with any faults or that can't be returned!

So for those who also want their money to go further, don't be fearful of buying an open box with a great discount from a reputable dealer.

There is no shame in not getting a virgin camera!

Asher

Good for you, here it is really a shame, rental is limited and mostly expensive, and honestly i have enough gear that i don't need to rent any more, but if a very new gear is there and i go to rent it it may cost me as the brand new if i keep renting it several times, and i know if i buy something it means i will use it for long time until the time to replace it or upgrade it, and i am not in this stage of replacing most of my gear with brand new of same brands but newer versions.

Asher Kelman

Good for you, here it is really a shame, rental is limited and mostly expensive, and honestly i have enough gear that i don't need to rent any more, but if a very new gear is there and i go to rent it it may cost me as the brand new if i keep renting it several times, and i know if i buy something it means i will use it for long time until the time to replace it or upgrade it, and i am not in this stage of replacing most of my gear with brand new of same brands but newer versions.

We are spoilt! Rentals are very economical in the USA. It turns out that I might need lights, for example, but I don't want to take them out of my studio for a shoot in a different location. I can have everything delivered from the rental house and even picked up when I am finished!

I understand that in other places, the camara prices have been jacked up because the market is smaller and those who purchase might have more money.

Even Europe, folk might have to pay 50% more for the same camera!

.......and then there are taxes like VAT which are exorbitant!

Asher

Jerome Marot

One can use adapted lenses on the A7 series, but is it useful?

OK: it is useful in some cases. If one already has a collection of lenses, for example. The adapter may be a cheap solution to use the camera.

But if one needs to buy new lenses, the new Sony offerings are quite tempting. The new f/2.8 16-35mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm are better than most primes at any focal length and aperture. The new 12-24mm is extraordinary and surprisingly compact. If one needs faster lenses than the f/2.8 zooms, Sony offers prize-winning f/1.4 primes. Is there anything else one would need?

Doug Herr

One can use adapted lenses on the A7 series, but is it useful?

OK: it is useful in some cases. If one already has a collection of lenses, for example. The adapter may be a cheap solution to use the camera.

But if one needs to buy new lenses, the new Sony offerings are quite tempting. The new f/2.8 16-35mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm are better than most primes at any focal length and aperture. The new 12-24mm is extraordinary and surprisingly compact. If one needs faster lenses than the f/2.8 zooms, Sony offers prize-winning f/1.4 primes. Is there anything else one would need?

I'm quite satisfied with manual-focus prime lenses and the a7rII's viewfinder makes precise focus simple. For myself the a7rII is a digital back for my Leica APO lenses; that's what I want from a camera.

The adapter isn't a 'cheap' solution; it's how I maximize the performance of my Leica APO lenses. If Sony were to offer a 300mm f/4 GM or Zeiss were to offer an E-mount 300mm f/4 APO-Tele-Tessar along with APO extenders I'd be tempted but for now a lens that's diffraction-limited at full aperture adapted to fit the Sony suits me just fine.

Jerome Marot

The adapter isn't a 'cheap' solution.

I keep forgetting that "cheap" is pejorative in English. I meant "less expensive". I just wanted to point out that the next generation of zooms is a paradigm change. And of course you are right that Sony does not have a 300mm f/4 on offer. Here again they chose to issue a zoom instead, the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6.

Doug Herr

I keep forgetting that "cheap" is pejorative in English. I meant "less expensive". I just wanted to point out that the next generation of zooms is a paradigm change. And of course you are right that Sony does not have a 300mm f/4 on offer. Here again they chose to issue a zoom instead, the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6.

Yes modern zooms are quite good, their performance is nearly as good as the primes I'm already using. I had a one-month demo of the Leica 90-280mm APO zoom on the Leica SL and was quite impressed with the lens. I concluded that I still prefer to keep the bulk and weight in my hands lower and that I rarely will take advantage of the modern lens' additional features.

One area where I'm using a less-expensive solution is a 500mm lens. The cost of Sony's (or Canon's or Nikon's) 500mm f/4 is well beyond what I'm willing to spend on a single piece of equipment, particularly one whose additional capabilities I'll rarely take advantage of. I'm using a Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 L with an adapter. With some adjustment for lateral chromatic aberration its performance meets my requirements quite well.

Asher Kelman

One area where I'm using a less-expensive solution is a 500mm lens. The cost of Sony's (or Canon's or Nikon's) 500mm f/4 is well beyond what I'm willing to spend on a single piece of equipment, particularly one whose additional capabilities I'll rarely take advantage of. I'm using a Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 L with an adapter. With some adjustment for lateral chromatic aberration its performance meets my requirements quite well.

For me, a used the 500 mm Canon FD is also attractive. However almost all my MF use of the Sony A7R is with short focal lengths and for that I have developed a fair skill and success rate. I find it becomes natural to MF with this system, just as I did with my first Pentax Spotmatic SLR. You, however are working at much longer and daring focal lengths. Are you able to work with the camera handheld, or are your hummers, above with the aid of a support?

Asher

Doug Herr

For me, a used the 500 mm Canon FD is also attractive. However almost all my MF use of the Sony A7R is with short focal lengths and for that I have developed a fair skill and success rate. I find it becomes natural to MF with this system, just as I did with my first Pentax Spotmatic SLR. You, however are working at much longer and daring focal lengths. Are you able to work with the camera handheld, or are your hummers, above with the aid of a support?

Asher

I'm using a tripod. A big old Gitzo donated to me by a long-time friend. As I am now of Social Security age I'm not as steady as I used to be.

Jerome Marot

How could the A7RIII be improved? It could have:
-even higher resolution (although that is unlikely), I don't think that will be relevant because of lens limitation
-faster AF with more points... I don't need that (remember: this is about me, you may have different needs)
-better 4K video... I don't need that
-improved ergonomics, improved viewfinder... maybe, I would need to try

Revisiting that old thread, the A7RIII indeed has the same resolution, faster AF (with the same amount of AF points), better 4K video (hybrid log gamma, 120 fps) and a better viewfinder. It also has a larger battery, 2 card slots and 2 USB ports (including USB-C). It has a pixel-shift mode with lots of limitations, a touchscreen and joystick and probably a few other small improvements I forgot.

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

Thanks for the updates on the new Sony! It does seem much more sophisticated.

I have been waiting for this!

However, this morning I had a revelation. I just discovered an interesting comparison of the A7II with the Hasselblad X1D and there is such a jump in dimensionality. Hair on the face with the Sony is beautiful, but seems to be on the same plane. In the X1D picture, it is drawn clearly layered in a plane in over the face. This of course may be equalized by using a longer lens for the A7RII. I will write to, Steve Huffington, the author and here is the link to that interesting review.

I imagine, using the same sensor, we'd expect the same result with the A7RIII.

Asher

Jerome Marot

JHair on the face with the Sony is beautiful, but seems to be on the same plane. In the X1D picture, it is drawn clearly layered in a plane in over the face. This of course may be equalized by using a longer lens for the A7RII. I will write to, Steve Huffington, the author and here is the link to that interesting review.

The Sony image is also underexposed and much warmer. Open the shadows and correct the white balance and it looks much nicer.

This being said, Hasselblad skin tones cannot be beaten by anyone.

Asher Kelman

The Sony image is also underexposed and much warmer. Open the shadows and correct the white balance and it looks much nicer.

This being said, Hasselblad skin tones cannot be beaten by anyone.

Jerome,

Why is that the case? Any ideas? Is it a higher dynamic range and so less "micro-harsh" transitions, or what?

IOW, is it inherent to some better algorithms or inherent in the optics and larger sensor?

Asher