• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: ::..:: Everyday people ::..::

G'day Nathan,

I instantly recognized your pix as I had looked through them on Flickr in recent weeks. There are some in there I quite like and I think it's good that you have a theme. Most of them are clearly shot by the same person (you).

I think you have some other photo's there that I have seen, that some people here would quite appreciate.

It seems you've stirred up an interest in the locals.

Keep it up.

Wade.

Nathan Hayag

3628700186_47a8505376.jpg

18) The rope trick.
3848485097_986d368af3.jpg

19) Aura power.
3955956106_e8ff78e206.jpg

[/center]

Thanks for locating real persons from the masses around you. That ability to give value to a stranger is arresting and agreeable to me.

Thanks Asher

Thank you sir. I'm glad you liked them. :)

Nathan Hayag

G'day Nathan,

I instantly recognized your pix as I had looked through them on Flickr in recent weeks. There are some in there I quite like and I think it's good that you have a theme. Most of them are clearly shot by the same person (you).

I think you have some other photo's there that I have seen, that some people here would quite appreciate.

It seems you've stirred up an interest in the locals.

Keep it up.

Wade.

Wade,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I truly hope I'm worthy of those. :)

Ruben Alfu

There´s a sense of solitude in these images, the subjects appear to be actually frozen in time. Maybe it´s a call to stop and see the simple facts, the here and now. From a technical point of view, I think it´s a great exercise of creative exposure.

Nigel Allan

Hi Nathan, I held off commenting on your photos at first because I wanted to digest them and process what I felt about them. I have just read through this thread and seen the different comments, so here's my two pennies for what it's worth (by the way, it's worth more than two cents :) until the Pound and Dollar reach parity anyway)

Overall I like the look and feel of your images, and I love taking pictures of people in the street also. I think generally these are very interesting and you are doing really nice work

Where you have effectively used natural light to create contrast and a kind of spotlight I think they are brilliant and some, like the teaism, are wonderful images. Maybe it could have been tighter and more 'in your face' but hey, it's still lovely and engaging

However, on the whole I tend to concur with Ken Tanaka's observations in a number of areas. Now this is just personal taste as we know but for me I do think you are sometimes a bit heavy handed with post processing and vignetting verging on overkill....but as I say this is only MY TASTE and I try and keep the scene as close to what I saw in the VF as possible a lot of the time because I am stuck in my ways :)

And where it appears you have used PP to create the impression of a spotlight rather that actually painting with the ambient light itself (which is how some appear to me) I find this a little contrived. If you have never done this I apologise but some appear to me as though you have selectively shaded areas to make it appear as though you have 'caught' beams of light - maybe it's the vignetting which reinforces this feeling I get. Almost any effect or tool overused loses its impact anyway, don't you think?

Personally I don't like the rounded corners but that's just a superficial niggle and if you love this which you obviously do, then who am I to say anything?

However, I do think that where possible you could get more engagement with your subject...it's quite brave to get up close and personal with strangers and risk their ire for invading their space but on the street everyone is fair game. However, it leads to more exciting images IMHO.

I think you are already streets ahead (sorry for the pun) of most modern DSLR photographers I come across in other forums (present company excepted) where their idea of a 'great' picture is a macro of a flower or butterfly or a distant landscape - in other words, subjects that can't answer back and tell you to p*** off - because that doesn't engage anyone or risk any confrontation. Potential confrontation is what can give street photography its adrenalin IMHO...done well it gets your blood pumping

maybe that was three pennies

Nathan Hayag

There´s a sense of solitude in these images, the subjects appear to be actually frozen in time. Maybe it´s a call to stop and see the simple facts, the here and now. From a technical point of view, I think it´s a great exercise of creative exposure.

Thanks for the comment Ruben. :)

Nathan Hayag

Hi Nathan, I held off commenting on your photos at first because I wanted to digest them and process what I felt about them. I have just read through this thread and seen the different comments, so here's my two pennies for what it's worth (by the way, it's worth more than two cents :) until the Pound and Dollar reach parity anyway)

Overall I like the look and feel of your images, and I love taking pictures of people in the street also. I think generally these are very interesting and you are doing really nice work

Where you have effectively used natural light to create contrast and a kind of spotlight I think they are brilliant and some, like the teaism, are wonderful images. Maybe it could have been tighter and more 'in your face' but hey, it's still lovely and engaging

However, on the whole I tend to concur with Ken Tanaka's observations in a number of areas. Now this is just personal taste as we know but for me I do think you are sometimes a bit heavy handed with post processing and vignetting verging on overkill....but as I say this is only MY TASTE and I try and keep the scene as close to what I saw in the VF as possible a lot of the time because I am stuck in my ways :)

And where it appears you have used PP to create the impression of a spotlight rather that actually painting with the ambient light itself (which is how some appear to me) I find this a little contrived. If you have never done this I apologise but some appear to me as though you have selectively shaded areas to make it appear as though you have 'caught' beams of light - maybe it's the vignetting which reinforces this feeling I get. Almost any effect or tool overused loses its impact anyway, don't you think?

Personally I don't like the rounded corners but that's just a superficial niggle and if you love this which you obviously do, then who am I to say anything?

However, I do think that where possible you could get more engagement with your subject...it's quite brave to get up close and personal with strangers and risk their ire for invading their space but on the street everyone is fair game. However, it leads to more exciting images IMHO.

I think you are already streets ahead (sorry for the pun) of most modern DSLR photographers I come across in other forums (present company excepted) where their idea of a 'great' picture is a macro of a flower or butterfly or a distant landscape - in other words, subjects that can't answer back and tell you to p*** off - because that doesn't engage anyone or risk any confrontation. Potential confrontation is what can give street photography its adrenalin IMHO...done well it gets your blood pumping

maybe that was three pennies

Hi Nigel. First off, thanks for visiting my thread. I just gotta say that the spotlights and shadows are 90% real (I'm giving 5% to Camera Raw's 'Blacks' lever and the other 5% to vignetting). The shaded areas you see are probably shoulders or heads or the space between the armpits (or something I can't distinguish) of people within very close proximity to me. These will create very nice dark shadows if done correctly. Crowds can get really thick here (see photos below) in Singapore and that kind of effect is very possible to achieve.

Yes, sorry for the heavy vignetting. I'm really crazy for vignettes and I myself don't know why haha. I just love it when I see photos with heavy vignettes. :) And I blame the rounded edges on Flickr. They have this neat on-site photo editing tool called Picnik where they have frame selections you can apply to your photos. Rounded edges remind me of my childhood photos back in the 80s so I guess it kind of stuck on to me. :)

Again sir, thank you very much for the critique.

Imagine being in the middle of these. (No lighting effects here. Just straightforward street). :D
3532612959_736a786974.jpg

3118025281_ef3de758fc.jpg

Nigel Allan

Hi Nigel. First off, thanks for visiting my thread. I just gotta say that the spotlights and shadows are 90% real (I'm giving 5% to Camera Raw's 'Blacks' lever and the other 5% to vignetting). The shaded areas you see are probably shoulders or heads or the space between the armpits (or something I can't distinguish) of people within very close proximity to me. These will create very nice dark shadows if done correctly. Crowds can get really thick here (see photos below) in Singapore and that kind of effect is very possible to achieve.

Yes, sorry for the heavy vignetting. I'm really crazy for vignettes and I myself don't know why haha. I just love it when I see photos with heavy vignettes. :) And I blame the rounded edges on Flickr. They have this neat on-site photo editing tool called Picnik where they have frame selections you can apply to your photos. Rounded edges remind me of my childhood photos back in the 80s so I guess it kind of stuck on to me. :)

Again sir, thank you very much for the critique.

Imagine being in the middle of these. (No lighting effects here. Just straightforward street). :D
3532612959_736a786974.jpg

3118025281_ef3de758fc.jpg

Yes the rounded corners are a bit like holiday snaps from the 80's which is why I think they somehow lessen the gravitas of your images.

No need to apologise for the vignetting - each to his own personal taste. It is only my humble opinion.

More power to you for spotting the beams of light that highlight your subjects, well done.

And yes I can imagine being in that crowd in Singapore, but just imagine getting up in their faces a bit :) or catching their eye so they are engaging your lens

Nathan Hayag

It's been months since I've been on here. Updating my thread. Thanks for viewing!

28) Top gone.
3553939124_259e8e42bb.jpg

29) Inny-minnie-miny-moe.
3404029684_fee14b5311.jpg

30) Twinkle in your wrinkle.
3550537399_47dd6038da.jpg

31) It's all about the swagger.
4296264902_2e5e787601.jpg