• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1Ds/MKII or 1D/MKII What do you use most?

Will Thompson

To those that have a 1D & 1Ds or 1DMKII & !DsMKII what do You find yourself reaching for the most.

I now have the 1DsMKII & 1DMKII and find I seem to never use the 1DMKII.

It was the same way when I had The 1D & 1Ds.

Just always needing more pixels no mater what lens I had it seemed I needed to crop and needed more pixels to have good output.

Will T.

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
I agree. While I sold my 1dsMkII to get a 5D and a 1DMkIIN, I always reach for the 5D except for birding shots. Not only because of the pixel count, but in my case I prefer the smaller size, and being less pro looking, because I mainly do street photography.

Jack Hartzman

I actually bought Michael's 1DS-MKII and previosly owned a 1D-MKII. I use both daily. As portraits and room shots are my main business, I still shoot quite a few weddings and corporate parties as well. Lately I find myself w/ the 1DS-MKII for the portraits and room shots, then switching to the 1D-MKII for the reception candids. However when shooting a celebrity photo-op, I ALWAYS go for the 1DS-MKII because most of the other photographers over my should are using 20d's or d-70's and can't get my crop. GO CANON!

As far as pixel count goes, I find the speed (focus, capture, etc.) of either MKII still better than the 5D. Sorry MT. :) JACK

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
Jack Hartzman said:
As far as pixel count goes, I find the speed (focus, capture, etc.) of either MKII still better than the 5D. Sorry MT. :) JACK

Agreed, that is why I bought a 5D and a 1DMkIIN. We are saying the same thing.

When I need the 1D I use it, otherwise I prefer the 5D for its size, pixles and full frame. The 1DsMkII was just too big for what I do. For your work, the 1DsMKII is ideal!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I don't own a 1DsII. Ask me again after Photokina.

I use a 1DII and a 5D.

For sure, nothing can replace a 1DII in an event to capture things as they happen. The 5D just doesn't have it for such work. Of course it can be used. However, for speed of focus and responsiveness, they are classes apart.

I have tried. However, I found that I put down the 5D in favor of the 1DII just to get hte shots without question on time and each time.

The 5D, however, offers so much more when it is used with thought.

Asher

David Burnette

Love 'em both

I have the 1dII and 1dIIs and use both. When doing events, I usually have both, with the 24-70 on the "S" and a tele on the 1dII for extra reach. When I don't need 2 bodies, the 1dMII stays home!

Rob.Martin

Hasselblad H1 with P25 - least used but adore pictures
1Ds Mark II - most used. Sorry folks, the 5D don't cut it with me
1D Mark II - used exclusively by my better half. But I use it on occassion
20D - it's out walk around camera. Get's used quite a bit when we travel

Paul Romersa

I have owned a D60. 1D, and my current cam is the 1dMK2...
I love shooting sports, so I will always have a fast camera....but would love to hook up with the 5D.
Will have to wait and see what is in the works at photokina...
Paul

Melanie Kipp

I used to own the 1D MK II. A very fine camera. I ended up selling it though. I had purchased the 5D, and for what I shoot, the 5D met all my needs. The 1D MK II was gathering dust. With the grip and three batteries I can shoot all I want and get files for full page spreads for magazine publication.

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, WIll,

How does your SD700 fit in?

Best regards,

Doug

kylee

1Ds2 is sharper, though I appreciate the 8fps sometimes, but there are also (many) times that I don't want to spend time processing every shot. 1Ds2 jpg sharp +2 is ideal for me, even at 100% crop for small birds you don't need to PP and yet they can be posted straight to the web.

Will Thompson

Doug Kerr said:
Hi, WIll,

How does your SD700 fit in?

Best regards,

Doug

Doug, the SD700 IS is My "Cameras Not Allowed" camera.

As of now only one photo shot and that is of the dogs. (the two blind shit sue's, Wednesday is black & white, and Cousin Itt is brown & white )

Will T.

Last edited:

lon10c

I use the 1Ds-M2 more and more. When 1Ds-M3 hits the stores the 1D-M2 is sold. The only improvements I would want in a 1Ds-M3 would be a larger buffer, better high ISO performance and maybe 20mpix.

The resolution of the 16mpix, FF more than makes up for any advantage the 1.3 crop may give and I don't use 8fps often enough for that to factor in. Actually, I find it hard to track a small, moving subject at 8fps because the view finder is blacked out a good portion of the time.

Last edited:

Tony Bonanno

pro member
HI Will,

I have both. Previously, when I had a 1Ds and the "then new" 1DMKII, I found that the 1Ds was relegated for those shoots where I really had to have the resolution (architecture, etc.) I found myself using the 1DMKII for just about everything I could.. better flash was a major perk for my work and the speed and low noise. HOWEVER, when the 1DsMKII arrived, suddenly, like you, I find myself using the 1DsMKII for EVERYTHING and rarely pulling out the 1DMKII unless I need the speed or need a second body with different lens ready to shoot. I love them both, but definitely find that the FF/higher res gets the most use now.

Stan Jirman

I own only the 1Ds2 but have toatlly free access to 1D2 and 1D2N. Despite this free access, I almost never borrow it, because the only reason to use it would be the frame rate. Even the mythical "crop factor" doesn't help here because a 1Ds2 image cropped to the same field of view as the 1D2 would have more pixels. Since my work doesn't require a high frame rate, I have no use for it.

Andy Biggs

Well, I tried an experiment recently that didn't work as well as I had hoped. I took a 5D and a 20D on safari with me, and this was the first time in a really long time that I didn't have a 1 series camera with me. I have been trying to move to a different style of shooting while on safari, which is more 'animal in the landscape' kind of shots. The problem is those shots didn't materialize as often as I would have liked, so I ended shooting how I normally shot: fast action and blurred pans.

So I am going back to a 1-series setup. Probably both a 1DMkII and whatever comes out this fall, hopefully an update to the 1DsMkII. I just want a larger buffer and better LCD. Oh, and a proper mirror lockup. hee hee hee.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Will,

I wouldn't buy a 1DsII right now unless I needed it for a specific project. With a 5D one has full frame and in a pinch one can rent.

We're too close to seeing a new Canon flagship. This is the time for serious thinking about holding the ground with one's 1D or 1DII and considering a digital back. A lot of used ones will be available and the MF cameras are plentiful in the used market.

Also, given the reported low price to finance a DB (from Leonardo's report), I'd think that (for many of the expected uses of a 1DsII), there are now a lot of alternative options better than buying a new one.

I'd like to know where they "bury" all those backs taken in the upgrade trade-up deals? Is there a secret to their resting place? After all there are so few that appear! I wonder if Phase One and Leaf simply cannibalize them!

Asher

Joel Slack

Of course there are a lot of variables to consider when deciding between the D2N, Ds2, or medium format---which, though not part of the initial question, is a third choice that's almost intrinsic to the discussion. Each is great at something, but limited for other things. For me, the Ds splits the difference well enough between the detail of MF and the speed of the Mk2N. I doubt you'd see too many photojournalists or sports photogs lining up for a critical moment with a Ds (or MF!), or landscapers trying to capture widescreen details, on a shot they've planned for hours, with a DMkIIN--though that is what I've been using, with mixed results. It's not for no reason I'm waiting for the next iteration of the Ds, but either way I'm definitely moving to the Ds.

Joel Slack said:
... or landscapers trying to capture widescreen details, on a shot they've planned for hours, with a DMkIIN--though that is what I've been using, with mixed results.

You are not alone, but you might want to try a more radical change in technique, namely "stitching".

It's not for no reason I'm waiting for the next iteration of the Ds, but either way I'm definitely moving to the Ds.

Anything with more resolution than the 1D2 in a 24x36mm sensor array will compromise dynamic range, including the 1Ds2. I doubt whether the trade-off is worthwhile. Stitching allows to combine the lower noise / larger sensels with resolution, and allows to get limitless DOF as well.

Bart

Joel Slack

Bart_van_der_Wolf said:
You are not alone, but you might want to try a more radical change in technique, namely "stitching".

Anything with more resolution than the 1D2 in a 24x36mm sensor array will compromise dynamic range, including the 1Ds2. I doubt whether the trade-off is worthwhile. Stitching allows to combine the lower noise / larger sensels with resolution, and allows to get limitless DOF as well.

Bart

I'm sincerely hoping the next Ds will address DR issues, being their flagship and all. But the technology does seem self-limiting under presently-used parameters. (smaller pixels for more density, but less light-gathering ability per pixel, etc.)(not to be a mindless pixel-peeper...)

And I have taken series of shots specifically with stitching in mind, I just haven't sat down and started to work on them yet. Fascinating and informative link, thanks for that. In the end, it all comes down to the trade-offs we make with ourselves, since there is no "perfect" camera out there that exceeds all of our needs for every given situation. You've given me more food for thought.

Stan Jirman

Joel Slack said:
I'm sincerely hoping the next Ds will address DR issues, being their flagship and all. But the technology does seem self-limiting under presently-used parameters. (smaller pixels for more density, but less light-gathering ability per pixel, etc.)(not to be a mindless pixel-peeper...)
According to my personal tests, (1) the 1Ds2 has a better DR than the 1D2, and (2) the 1Ds2 has better dynamic range than the D30 (I mean D30, not 30D). What I am trying to say: even though the pixels in the 1Ds2 are far smaller than those than those of a D30, technology didn't stand still. Same as for DR applies to noise. I think people keep getting stuck on present day technology, and the argument is typically valid in that isolated case. But parameters change with time...