Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Digital Rangefinder & Digicams and yes, even Cell Phones!

Old May 30th, 2014, 02:11 PM

Default Leica...100 years of

I watched this BBC documentary recently.

Like it or not, I believe Leica is 35mm photography.

While Leica marketing nowadays, might be harping more than required on its past...no denying it is a past that that has helped make iconic images of our world.

Leica is a part of photographic history and of past masters of photography. Sometimes I feel that operating a Leica, I and the past become one. I feel satisfied that I captured a moment with my Leica.

I also feel I have been seduced by Leica's marketing. In reality, I recognize that owning a Leica, to make images, does not automatically make my images anything more than snaps.

But the hope lives on...

Leica..the first 100 years
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:34 PM

Hi, Fahim,

Quote:
Leica is a part of photographic history and of past masters of photography. Sometimes I feel that operating a Leica, I and the past become one. I feel satisfied that I captured a moment with my Leica.
To own a (real) Leica is a wonderful thing indeed.

Leica is indeed "miniature photography".

Best regards,

Doug
Old May 30th, 2014, 08:06 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
I watched this BBC documentary recently.

Like it or not, I believe Leica is 35mm photography.

While Leica marketing nowadays, might be harping more than required on its past...no denying it is a past that that has helped make iconic images of our world.

I also feel I have been seduced by Leica's marketing. In reality, I recognize that owning a Leica, to make images, does not automatically make my images anything more than snaps.

But the hope lives on...

Leica..the first 100 years

Fahim,

You have bragging rights for owning a Leica. there's no doubt in my mind that Leica glass packs in some of the finest rendering of images and so for small format, like the 35mm full frame, using genuine Leica glass might very well be more efficient.

But Leica has bragging rights beyond their quality of optics and perfection in machining solid bars of metal into a precision camera that has made much of the body of celebrated photography in the pasy 100 years. The Leica family put itself on the line by actor as did Oscar Schindler, and risking everything by trying to save as many Jews from the gas chambers of Hitler as possible by creating jobs for them as salesmen abroad. So the nobility one commonly recognizes in the Leica company is not merely great engineering, ( there was no dearth of that in Audi, Siemens and tens of thousands of other German enterprises that used slave laborers to death during the Nazi era. Mercedes even built the gas chambers in the crematoria to dispose of the bodies 24 hours a day.

Leica stands out as amongst the most noble of those at that time who's moral compasses were not pulled off course by the racist teachings and the Nazi use of these teachings.

So when I see a Leica, even one I cannot afford, I feel a sense of wonder at this one family who has maintained a moral compass despite the tides of hate and despotism that tried to consume us.

Thus, today, I am thrilled to see Leica viable, making new lenses and holding its own as a fine company, carrying on traditions to not fall every time for expediency.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:06 AM

It is interesting that Leica is credited with the practical introduction (for still photography) of the 35-mm double-frame format (nominally 36 mm 24 mm).

Of course later the single-frame format (18 mm 24 mm), introduced for still photography, became known as the "half frame" format.

After that, the 36 mm 24 mm format was occasionally described as the "35-mm full frame format" (more precisely, the "135 film full-frame format"). Then, with the advent of digital photography, it became the "full-frame" format.

In the words of Craig Ferguson, "Tomorrow's just your future yesterday."

Language is a wonderful thing.

Best regards,

Doug
Old May 31st, 2014, 10:33 AM

Doug, Asher...

I think it is very good that Leica is branching out and experimenting with different items ( the ' T ' e.g. ).

The ' M ' crowd is dying off--literally. And Leica have to start appealing to an audience other than old
farts like me, collectors and a relatively small number of ' M ' lovers.

Best to you both.
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:53 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
Doug, Asher...

I think it is very good that Leica is branching out and experimenting with different items ( the ' T ' e.g. ).

The ' M ' crowd is dying off--literally. And Leica have to start appealing to an audience other than old
farts like me, collectors and a relatively small number of ' M ' lovers.

Best to you both.
For sure, but the S series needs to be a lot quieter and have a better range of shutter speeds! The T needs a sophisticated hybrid electronic and optical viewfinder too!

It will happen. As a start, they have the new lens mount and a sculpted modern looking body. Let's hope it's just the start!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 31st, 2014, 05:52 PM

Hi, Asher,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
For sure, but the S series needs to be a lot quieter and have a better range of shutter speeds! The T needs a sophisticated hybrid electronic and optical viewfinder too!

It will happen. As a start, they have the new lens mount and a sculpted modern looking body. Let's hope it's just the start!
It all depends on whether the restaurant owner knows that ultimately success will come from the kitchen.

Best regards,

Doug
Old June 1st, 2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post
Hi, Asher,

It all depends on whether the restaurant owner knows that ultimately success will come from the kitchen.

Best regards,

Doug
Hopefully they won't put a phone in a camera. Just kidding!