• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Micro EVF for DSLRs by Redrock Micro

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How do you watch the video during recording? The LCD? Now there's a far more interesting option, a backlit EVF from Redrock Micro the whiz guys for converting your wonderful DSLR to a more usable video-freindly Video camera:

microEVF_rig_main..jpg

Yesterday at the PhotoCine Expo, Redrock rocked the show with Brian Valente’s announcement of the “microEVF”, an electronic viewfinder for HDSLR cameras, a solution bridging the gap on the shambolic form factor of HDSLRs compared to traditional video cameras. Source DV Culture: see the video and read the entire story here.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

How do you watch the video during recording? The LCD? Now there's a far more interesting option, a backlit EVF from Redrock Micro the whiz guys for converting your wonderful DSLR to a more usable video-freindly Video camera:
Lovely!

We continue to await the emergence of a Canon EOS-family body with an integral high-performance EVF rather than a reflex optical viewfinder.

We are beginning to do some work here using a Hoodman viewing hood on the monitor screen of our EOS 40D.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Lovely!

We continue to await the emergence of a Canon EOS-family body with an integral high-performance EVF rather than a reflex optical viewfinder.

We are beginning to do some work here using a Hoodman viewing hood on the monitor screen of our EOS 40D.

Best regards,

Doug

For Canon, Doug, it seems that they want their cake and to eat it too, LOL! This camera's amazingly infectious popularity with filmmakers, being used n major TV seres like, "Lost" was a total surpise for them. Companies like Redrock Micro have created an ever expanding industry for peripherals such as accurate focus-pulling, frames for stabilization, shoulder mounts and more. Canon, with its enormous base of users with lenses now can extend their services into video ar weddings for example, offering HDR. To alter the camera too much would be a pity.

The "have their cake": that refers to maintaining the sales of their digital camcorders at the higher end.

asher

Doug Kerr

Here's our "Aggie EVF" for our EOS-40D:

40D_EVF_E35938R.jpg

This is a Hoodman HoodLoupe Professional 3.0, affixed with a Hoodman Cinema Strap (modified a bit).

This mounting is not really ideal, and we are looking into alternatives.

Hoodman has a bizarre rig, the Hoodcrane, available, which we have declined):

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/images/crane_singled.gif

Other than that, it works very well.

It is of course more obtrusive than we might expect an "integrated" EVF to be.

Best regards,

Doug

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
It does rather give the lie to P1 claim that their small numbers of production cannot afford a better screen for their backs. I'll bet this company is just as small and their screen is probably already bigger and certainly better. Oh and the whole thing goes for just $595...

Asher Kelman

It does rather give the lie to P1 claim that their small numbers of production cannot afford a better screen for their backs. I'll bet this company is just as small and their screen is probably already bigger and certainly better. Oh and the whole thing goes for just $595...

Ben,

Today, I feel far more confidant with my 5DII when using live view for manual focus. However for video, one loses that once one is "moving"! The Red Rock Micro and other great viewers and screens mean that autofocus becomes much less important. That to me is one of the greatest advances I've seen in a long time.

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Good point. Hmm, wonder how something like this would work with the older generation of LV cameras such as the 1Ds mkIII. Not that easy to manually focus with it using LV on that screen but if it's something important for the user, this could be an answer. Certainly a better one than the apparently rubbish screen on the Zigview for not all that much more.