• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

AFL

My first time shooting Australian Football League, C& C would be appreciated

PJF_2935.jpg

Thanks for looking

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for looking

PJF_2935.jpg

Well Peter, did he keep the ball? He's a determined chap, all right! I wouldn't want to get on his bad side.

I guess Australian football's the same as Rugby football! You have caught the acton very well. It's nice to get the actual catch and if possible, here the opposing players who would by close by ready to tackle him. I'd love to see more of this game.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Focus is great and there's powerful acton and we're rooting for him!

Thanks for looking

PJF_2935.jpg

Well Peter, did he keep the ball? He's a determined chap, all right! I wouldn't want to get on his bad side.

I guess Australian football's the same as Rugby football! You have caught the acton very well. It's nice to get the actual catch and if possible, here the opposing players who would by close by ready to tackle him. I'd love to see more of this game.

Asher

Alan Cole

My take on the action is that the player is "handballing" to a team-mate before he is grsbbrd by an opponent or hits the ground (or both). A handball consists of using the fist to punch the ball- throwing is not permitted in Aussie Rules.

Either way, you have stopped the action really well and focus is spot on within that narrow depth-of field. Well done Peter.

Was this a game of real Australian Rules or the Gaelic version?

Alan

Paul Abbott

For me, it's too much of a tight frame of the action. I would like to see more of a context to how the ball will be played and such.

It's worthwhile studying images from professional sports agencies to get an idea on how to shoot action on the field of play.

Asher Kelman

For me, it's too much of a tight frame of the action. I would like to see more of a context to how the ball will be played and such.

It's worthwhile studying images from professional sports agencies to get an idea on how to shoot action on the field of play.

Paul,

There are many respected teachers who argue that less is more. Trying to weed out extraneous material is the hallmark of 20th Century teaching. I, however, find it often unsatisfying to have to recreate in my mind the context when the picture is framed tight and then cropped closer as most gurus seems to advocate.

Here the peak action is caught. This always works, while a wider shot might be less impressive. In a news story, this with a wide angle shot of the action works. Still, I go for wide in almost all my pictures. The hard part when going wide is then to exclude what is distracting to the peak elements.

Asher

Paul,

There are many respected teachers who argue that less is more. Trying to weed out extraneous material is the hallmark of 20th Century teaching. I, however, find it often unsatisfying to have to recreate in my mind the context when the picture is framed tight and then cropped closer as most gurus seems to advocate.

Here the peak action is caught. This always works, while a wider shot might be less impressive. In a news story, this with a wide angle shot of the action works. Still, I go for wide in almost all my pictures. The hard part when going wide is then to exclude what is distracting to the peak elements.

Asher

Here are a few more photos from the match

PJF_2868_2.jpg

PJF_2930.jpg

PJF_2877.jpg

Paul Abbott

These are a little better, Peter. It's good to see that the ball is always in your frame, that's important. The first one shows a great tackle.

Asher, I was just commenting on what I got from this image, i'm not against tight framed images at all. They work really well in Cricket as a study of a batsman at his crease swiping the ball away for a four or a six.