• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fuji GFX Camera Commuting to and from Rialto: Shooting Through a Car Window III

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Returning to Los Angleles means being embedded in traffic for up to 2 hours. If I drive myself, I feel imprisoned, as the sun starts to slowly drop in the sky and I pass all these scenes I want and seem to "need" to photograph.

I wonder what the biological basis is for a photographer's quest for the next awesome image, like an addict trying to find his next "fix"!

The solution, is to spend more time with one of my helpful muses who can drive while I can stare out the window, enjoying my moving show of landscapes and industrial concretions of brick, concrete and steel.

This allows for some dramatic photography, and that is my treat with Kirstie, my muse, at the wheel. We pass a lot of power lines and I like to catch the sun behind the giant pylons.

_DSF2624_900.jpg

Asher Kelman: Power Lines

Fuji GFX 32-64 mm
64mm, 1/4,000 sec, F 11.0, ISO 1600
Processed from RAW in Photoshop CC
Nik Filter for Output Sharpening

More to come!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Passing through Los Angeles Industrial Zones

_DSF2632_For Billobard open till 6pm Flat_ Perspec corrected, cropped.jpg

Asher Kelman: "Open 'till 6pm"

Fuji GFX 32-64 mm
32mm, 1/2200 sec, F 11.0, ISO 3200
Nik RAW Output sharpening

Asher

Peter Dexter

Asher just curious...have you visited that gentlemans' club? Could be promising. Are you stationary when you take these snaps or rolling? I hope the former for saftie's sake .

Asher Kelman

Asher just curious...have you visited that gentlemans' club? Could be promising. Are you stationary when you take these snaps or rolling? I hope the former for saftie's sake .

Peter,

Thanks for the visit and actually a revelation, ?

I have never visited a "Gentleman's Club". I had a friend who did and allowed select lap dancers to earn some extra money in a nearby motel until his wife kicked him out of the house! He was a very important leading psychiatrist. I tried to persuade him to switch to having a long term relationship with workaholic single female lawyer, just for safety sake.

It just dawned on me after you asked your question that it was a club, not just billboards advertising a. An actual club there, LOL! I was thinking that this was a giant trailer that was being used as billboards!

Anyway, whenever I can, I have Kirstie drive me and she refuses to slow down. So I just shoot with the wind in my face and occasional leaves and insects in my mouth!

Asher

Asher Kelman

As one gets closer, there is a transition from semi industrial towards the very upscale Los Angeles Architectural Trillion Dollar skyline!

So we see layers of offerings on billboards for the eyes of the millions of commuters returning to the city. Above are warehouses, factores and fabrication and material stories with wedged in between, a patched quilt of food ditributers, piping, cement and other major suppliers for the fabricd of a megacity.

This area caters for about 14 million souls within a 10-12 mile radius.

_DSF2666_For Billboards and Windows__Flat.jpg

Asher Kelman: Everything: Signs, factories and the Wealth Skyline I

Fuji GFX 32-64 mm
64 mm, 1/3,000 sec, F 11.0, ISO 3200

Asher

Peter Dexter

Nice reply Asher, thank you.I would guess there are plenty of gentlemen who visit gentleman clubs who aren'y married men so no risk to marriage. A girl I see told me her sister just got a passport and her plan is to travel to Chile. I said hmmm well the majority of Colombian girls who go to Chile go to work as prostitutes and she said...so? Meaning work is work and the pay is better in Chile.

Asher Kelman

As one proceeds closer to the City Center, the factories and warehouses give rise to large "Soviet Style public health buildings, either in disrepair or still housing people.

_DSF2664_For Billboards and Windows_ copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Everything: Signs, factories and the Wealth Skyline II

Fuji GFX 32-64 mm
64 mm, 1/3,500 sec, F 11.0, ISO 3200

There is no place that lack harsh reality of struggling people and no place where the richness of the distant City cannot be seen and understood.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Nice reply Asher, thank you.I would guess there are plenty of gentlemen who visit gentleman clubs who aren'y married men so no risk to marriage. A girl I see told me her sister just got a passport and her plan is to travel to Chile. I said hmmm well the majority of Colombian girls who go to Chile go to work as prostitutes and she said...so? Meaning work is work and the pay is better in Chile.

Peter,

I have no criticism about anyone offering their services for someone else. Imagine, we have a fellow who is trained as a serious pharmacologist, graduates with a Ph.D. And his whole fsmily and friends celebrate. Society is proud of him!

Then, instead of devisng and developing new pharmaceutical agents, (to treat diabetes, cancer, athritis, dementia, cardiovascular disease or antibiotic resistance), he works for a cosmetic company, putting chemicals in rabbits eyes, to give the company an edge in a new billion dolar mascara market! That is prostitution of the brains! Which is worse, that or a hand job for $10 for a poor girl!

A person giving physical labor or sexual release or comfort is working and working hard. That is a fact! They are no less respectable than the academic working with cosmetics, who is prostituting his brain.

From a medical standpoint, there are risks to these sex workers. We are in a crisis with overwhelming multidrug resistance. There was a time when one shot of penicillin would cure syphilis and gonorhoea in a single clinic visit. Now Gonorhoea is resitant to multiple antibiotics and a threat to sexually active people.

Sex workers are especially at risk! But so are steel workers and policemen! Yes, risk concerns me. However, all folk have a right to choose how to work as long as no one is making decision based on devised and leveraged naivity, coercion or mental illness.

So while I do not like the idea of "working girls", I do respect them as individuals and am sorry they feel that is their best choice.

Asher

Last edited: