• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

TimeMachine is it practical??

I went to Apple for the one day sale and came up with a 500G FireWire drive. I plugged it in to my tower and -a voice from Leopard -- immediately asked "is this the drive I was waiting to do the thing I do with TimeMachine?"

That was not my intention, what I wanted was to offload all the things I have in my two internal drives, so that at the end I would end up with a skinny computer. Now I have a fat Mac AND a fat external drive that cost me two hundred dollars ...

The problem I see with TM is that it will be difficult to maintain in terms of consumption of space.

I think that what I could do is to burn to DVDs and have things in the external backed up, then I could delete the data on the computer.

The other problem with TM is that you cannot go and delete something that TM is backing up to save space, can you?

I would like to know what protocol or system other photographers are using to deal with the information creation problem...

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Leonardo

>maintain in terms of consumption of space.<

you nailed it down.
Here as well, meanwhile delivering some 700 MBs, quite often, some 5 - 7 GB have been written, just beeing working files, to be trashed, once the project is finished.
I don't want to buy a 500-GB-disk every month :)

So here's the setup:

Internal mirror-RAID on every file beeing written; backup on a external case, S-ATA with trays, therefore on 2 disks. I gave up on buring DVDs......

I remember when I used ZIP from Iomega, seams like way in the past, they where 100MB and then the new ones came that had 250MB.

Someone has to invent a write only fast storage massive device.

Probably I would like Time Machine to work on just some parts of the computer to back up small things and the files would have to have other system.

The way it looks is too cool to not use at all...

Andrew Rodney

Time machine IMHO isn't a substitute for a true backup. I use a daily backup to clone my either drive. But where TM is pretty darn cool and useful is when you want to restore one file, maybe something you trashed or modified and want the previous incarnation. Its really very intuitive to find and update such files. So, if you're worried about losing and entire drive, or you want a clone to boot up from etc, SuperDuper and a drive is my choice (SD is simple to use, bullet proof and does a great job of scheduling when to wake up the Mac, back up and put it to sleep in the middle of the night). TM is great for some files you want to get back previously backed up over time. Drives are cheap, so I'm using both approaches.

thank you andrew, good advice

question. I saw that you made a book on color management. Interesting. In another thread on this forum I talked about the need for a manual to get the last drop out of C1 from Phase One. One source out there costs something like $300 ! for a book. One solution, I think, would be to make a wiki-knoledge-base for photographers. This way people could write articles on subjects they know and use the knowledge of others in areas the don"t...

I wonder if such site exists and if someone here --Asher-- can write the code on line to do it...

Andrew Rodney

I have no idea about a further manual about C1, I'm a Lightroom guy.

"Kevin W. Raber" <kwr@phaseone.com> is the guy I know to ask.