• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Brains

Antonio Correia

I was asked by a vet to photograph sections of brains for him to study.
I was happy to do so but the images turned out to be a flop.

Sometimes the formol was returning reflexes and the separation from the background was not the best one.
Perhaps I will have to use a dark and not reflecting background. I was too confident and I was wrong.

I was using the 24-70 at macro mode - I mean near "macro mode" - with a flash ring and a tripod.
The second photograph is a magnificent example of what I do not want to get.

Perhaps my problem is precisely the ring flash and I will have to use another source of light, something like a cubic plastic box with the flashes - two - at the sides...
It is something I will have to try.
Do you have any tips on this matter please ? Thank you. :)
i-ncdtVPW-M.jpg
i-ZxcSCwb-M.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Antonio,

I'd also try some different color filters to increase the contrast at time of shooting. Since it's not moving, you may not even need to use flash if the light is even, just a tripod. OTOH, if it does mover, run out of the room, LOL!

Asher

Sam Hames

Is there a reason you can't scan them? It seems like that would be a lot less hassle - except maybe the clean up.

Antonio Correia

Antonio, I'd also try some different color filters to increase the contrast at time of shooting. Since it's not moving, you may not even need to use flash if the light is even, just a tripod. OTOH, if it does mover, run out of the room, LOL! Asher

Thank you Asher. I am not afraid of dead brains because in fact, the live ones are the dangerous ... ;)

The brains are not humans but from fighting bulls.

They are not disgusting at all. They don't produce any emotion on me.

Hi Antonio
You also may use a uniform green background, that's what we use for auto masking in video…
Very easy to mask as you have no green in the brain! ; ) Sorry, it's in French : http://www.videosolutions.fr/tourner-une-video-sur-fond-vert/

Thank you Nicolas. What an excellent idea. I will give it a try.
I am already wondering where am I going to get a green surface which is neither water absorbent nor reflective and green...
You know Nicolas, I do speak very good French. Indeed far better than English but I am very very rusty on writing.
My father sent me to the house of two French - in Raville - when I was 14 and in the house the lady - a Norman Paulette - taught me the language by the books they were teaching in Portugal. There was a baby around, two years old and at the time, I could speak some "baby words".
At the time I went to Le Lude, Tours and Le Man for the "riettes" Oh well... that was "some" time ago LOL

Antonio Correia

Is there a reason you can't scan them? It seems like that would be a lot less hassle - except maybe the clean up.

Thank you Sam. That never came to my mind.

But I do not own a scan neither do they I think.

I will have a talk about scanning the brains with the vet. :)

Paul Abbott

Perhaps my problem is precisely the ring flash and I will have to use another source of light, something like a cubic plastic box with the flashes - two - at the sides...
It is something I will have to try.
Do you have any tips on this matter please ? Thank you. :)
i-ncdtVPW-M.jpg
i-ZxcSCwb-M.jpg

Think for yourself, use your own brain, Antonio...:D

Chris Heilman

Thank you Sam. That never came to my mind.

But I do not own a scan neither do they I think.

I will have a talk about scanning the brains with the vet. :)

A decent flatbed scanner can be purchased for about $50 US nowadays. The clarity and resolution of scanned material is superb, easily rivaling digital photographs made with equipment costing thousands of dollars.

On the other hand, if you need a picture of a brain, just take a snap of it:
04_2.jpg

Antonio Correia

Thank you Chris. :)

I have not contacted the vet for some days now but your suggestion and Sam's is something I will not forget.

:)