• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Doors and Textures of Central America

Robert Watcher

So many rich textures when walking the streets of Guatemala.

AP-20160910-EM104418-Edit.jpg

AP-20160910-EM104415-Edit.jpg

AP-20160910-EM104412-Edit.jpg

AP-20160910-EM104414-Edit.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Beautiful work. What is so amusing is that all the locks can be simply lifted of the wood with a single "tire iron" crow bar!

Asher

Paul Abbott

These are not saying anything to me. They look like they're just photographs of texture for texture's sake, and there is not enough interest in that sense. It's the bigger picture that is needed, a more environmental approach with third elements included in the scene.
The photographic work of Sean Scully is more of what I am talking about...and i'm sure that you being in the place that you are have many opportunities like this.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These are not saying anything to me. They look like they're just photographs of texture for texture's sake, and there is not enough interest in that sense. It's the bigger picture that is needed, a more environmental approach with third elements included in the scene.
The photographic work of Sean Scully is more of what I am talking about...and i'm sure that you being in the place that you are have many opportunities like this.

Paul,

I commend you for your openness, chutzpah and bravery in saying that these don't move you and could be better chosen. It is refreshing to have such brazen honesty and it's useful here, as we give abundant praise but are stingy in scathing critique or even gentle rebuke!

Do you mean Scully's work here, where sharp lines around windows are a common motif and the glass shine like jewels?

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, I will still keep on, my flame retardant suit...but i'm sure I have been more than constructive. :)

In regard to Sean Scully's work I can only recommend his book 'The Color of Time', other than that, if you type Sean Scully photography and select 'images' in your browser, then you will see...

Andy brown

Paul, thanks for pointing out the work of Sean Scully (he's an artist and photographer [photographic artist] right?).

I liked his work, my first reaction was, oh jesus, another wanker who puts three colours together and make his million, for shame. On closer inspection, I thought, you know what, it's pretty good (art).
His photography is O.K!
My reaction here was, yeah, yeah, not bad, making compositions from a few textures, harder than it would appear...well done, not much more. A little bit like how I regard Andy Goldsworthy's photography, unbelievably good art, very ordinary photographs of magnificent art = good art photography.

I think Scully visualised andcomposed quite well and took some snapshots...pretty good.
Robert's work takes a photographer's spin on things and creates a compelling image from possibly mundane subject matter.

I'm not pissing in anyone's pocket here.
Just giving my take on it.