• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Belief

Paul Abbott

I really like the first image, it really shows off some lovely symmetry...and state of the art grandeur too.
In your 'Believe or Not' image it looks like you have given life to that statue with that person in the frame taking it's picture. I like what almost looks like a plinth-like shape on the back of the person's neckline...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Places of worship have a sanctity even if one does not believe! There's beauty in faith that acts as a fabric of scaffolding, using elements of values and norms that can help civilize the beast in us.

Despite obvious examples to the contrary, taken in internal context, religions help folk be inspired to be kind and civil and respect each other's boundaries. All the revered symbology and ritual are, in some ways, equivalent to the avid identity, mascots, chants, songs and uniforms of our sports teams. Aren't we tribal!

Still, these shrines are themselves great edifices to be valued and respected.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi,

... again some impressions (this time more natural) found in the old Basilicas of Aquileia (Santa Maria Assunta)

Wolfgang,

Kudos for this exploration of belief through these pictures. The first one, through the distribution of light, provides a place of sanctuary for us, where prayer and visions might happen.

The second image is makes us the tourist, the transient observer of an observer, as another photograph is taken to document an achievement of "another place visited" or perhaps some connection with the venerated statue itself.

Again there is a feeling of holiness.

The last picture has a more detached observation POV and we are almost looking at a doll's house miniature in this view that gives us both the outside and interior of a chapel with an in distinct fading painting of a holy figure on the wall.

I look forward to your further exploration of this subject, as faith can be so ennobling and supportive yet so divisive and exclusionary, a major permanent paradox of the human condition!

Asher