• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Renaissance Photography Prize 2017

Renaissance Photography Prize 2017 is now accepting submissions. With the 10th edition now open, the competition is on the hunt for outstanding photography.

The annual prize discovers talent and celebrates the best in photography, giving image makers access to new opportunities and a world-wide audience for their work. By entering you will support charity, and you could enjoy valuable international exposure and excellent prizes. With judges from The Photographers' Gallery, HOTSHOE Magazine, Foam, The Guardian and many more, entering gives photographers the chance to have their work seen by a panel of some of the industry's most influential photography critics.

Submit series and/or single images.

Single image categories:
LIFE / IDENTITY / BORDER

Series:
Open/no theme

The prize is open for all.

JUDGES 2017:
Melissa DeWitt - HOTSHOE
Gem Fletcher - Getty Images
Clare Grafik - The Photographers’ Gallery
Marloes Krijnen - FOAM, Amsterdam
Dewi Lewis - Dewi Lewis Publishing
Fiona Rogers - Magnum Photos International
Simon Roberts - Photographer
Fiona Shields - The Guardian

SINGLE
£18 (€22 / $25) for 1 photograph
£27 (€34 / $38) for up to 3
£45 (€57 / $63) for up to 6
£65 (€83 / $92) for up to 10
More than 10: Fees will be calculated using the above scale to give the best possible discount.

SERIES
£55 (70€ / $77) per series (5-8 images + a project statement)
You can submit as many single and/or series as you like.

Prices in €/$ are approximations for guidance only. If you’re paying in local currency Paypal will calculate the correct price automatically.

Renaissance Photography Prize 2017 – Best Single Image

£1000 Cash Prize
+ £800 Metro Imaging Printing/Framing
+ 3 X 20 min. Portfolio Reviews
+ SELF PUBLISH, BE HAPPY – 2 hour 1-to-1 Mentoring Session
+ Mentoring from an award-winning Getty Images Photographer
+ Professional Editing Session with Metro Imaging
+ HOTSHOE Magazine – 1 Year Subscription
Renaissance Photography Prize 2017 – Best Series

£1000 Cash Prize
+ £800 Metro Imaging Printing/Framing
+ 3 X 20 min. Portfolio Reviews
+ SELF PUBLISH, BE HAPPY – 2 Hour 1-to-1 Mentoring Session
+ Mentoring from an award-winning Getty Images Photographer
+ Professional Editing Session with Metro Imaging
+ HOTSHOE Magazine – 1 Year Subscription
Renaissance Photography Prize 2017 – Single Image Category Winner x 3

£500 Cash Prize
+ 1 X 20 min. Portfolio Review
Renaissance Photography Prize 2017 – Best Series Runner Up

£500 Cash Prize
+ 1 X 20 min. Portfolio Review
All Exhibited Photographers

Exhibition Catalogue
Complimentary ticket to Awards Ceremony
Special feature open to all selected photographers 2017

Your work in HOTSHOE magazine
Renaissance Photography Prize has teamed up with media partner HOTSHOE to offer a fantastic publishing opportunity to one of the finalist or shortlisted photographers in the 2017 prize. Nominated by HOTSHOE’s Editor-in-Chief Melissa DeWitt, one chosen artist will be selected to have their work featured in the magazine. The lucky photographer will be announced at the award ceremony.

Promising Book Project – Dewi Lewis Publishing Advice Session
Dewi Lewis will choose one of the finalist or shortlisted photographers with a promising project that could be suitable for publishing, to offer them a 30 minute advice session with specific focus on publishing work. The selected artist will be announced at the awards ceremony.
656779f2-0706-44dd-b0cd-c09cb3786eaa-original.jpeg

Jerome Marot

I'd hate to criticise, but there appears to be a whole industry of photography "contests" where the only requirement to participate is to pay an entrance fee. I also note that "Thorbjorn Tellefsen" only posted 5 times, and only about the "Renaissance Photography Prize".

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jerome,

I had the same questions too, as soon as I saw this today.

I immediately sent the author an enquiry as to total amount raised, given and to which charities.

If we do not have substantial answers then this will be disallowed.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
....also do we merely have a Magnum photographer or does Magnum, (or any of the other industry brands mentioned), endorse this?

Asher

....also do we merely have a Magnum photographer or does Magnum, (or any of the other industry brands mentioned), endorse this?

Asher

Hi guys, please allow me to offer some clarification. I volunteer for Renaissance Photography Prize (a not for profit company) in my spare time, and I joined this forum for the purpose of promoting the competition.

The competition was started by a woman who is a breastcancer survivor and a keen amateur photographer who wanted to raise money to support other young women in the same situation - and it is now in it's 10th edition.
All profit from entry fees will be donated to the Lavender Trust at Breast Cancer Care, a UK charity that supports younger women with breast cancer (charity number 1017658).
So far we have raised more than £250 000 - and we have exhibited some amazing photography!

In terms of endoresemnts, we have judges from Magnum and other companies such as Getty Images and The Photographer's Gallery. Fiona Rogers is not a Magnum Photographer, she is their Global Business Development Manager, and she's also the founder of Firecracker, a platform supporting female photographers. You can read more about all the judges here: http://www.renaissancephotography.org/judges/

We have Metro Imaging, HOTSHOE magazine, Self Publish Be Happy and Getty Images gallery as sponsors and/or partners.

Even though you have to pay to enter, you are supporting a good cause, and I really do believe we provide some great opportunities for photographers to get seen by top industry judges. Shortlisted entries gets exhibited in London for 2 weeks (we cover and take care of printing, framing, hanging etc) and winners gets mentorship, portfolio review sessions in addition to the prize money.
We also open up portfolio review sessions to be booked for a small fee, again this goes to charity and the reviewers are volunteering their time.

I hope this has answered some of your questions. Please don't hesitate to check out the FAQ on our website, or email info@renaissancephotography.org

best wishes
Thorbjorn