• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

After Market Focus Screen for 5Dc

Dave Twigg

I have a 5Dc that I am quite pleased with but it shares a problem with every DSLR from Canon I've picked up. My over 60 eyes have the devil of a time seeing accurate focus with the factory screen. I spent some time reading the Brightscreen web site and am considering one of them for the 5D.

Since it is a $200 investment I would like to hear from anyone who uses their screens or has used them. Is it worth the money and does it affect metering?

Dave

I replaced the stock screens on my 1dII and 1DSIII with canons Ec-d matte with grid lines. I never liked the ones with the split focus in the middle.. I am old (65) and wear glasses and these work better than stock for me. Plus the grids help me keep things lined up properly.. :)

Bob Latham

Dave,

I haven't used the Brightscreen offering but I have had several from Katzeyes and found them to be excellent quality. Katz' don't make them for Canon 1srs bodies so I make do with Canon's own versions nowadays.

Bob

I have a 5Dc that I am quite pleased with but it shares a problem with every DSLR from Canon I've picked up. My over 60 eyes have the devil of a time seeing accurate focus with the factory screen. I spent some time reading the Brightscreen web site and am considering one of them for the 5D.

Since it is a $200 investment I would like to hear from anyone who uses their screens or has used them. Is it worth the money and does it affect metering?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Can't help with the specific screen brand you mention. I've replace the stock screen of my 1Ds3 with the more detailed Canon 'Super Precision EC-S' version for lenses of f/2.8 or wider (you'll have to check which version fits your camera model). There is a custom function in my camera that compensates for the required change in exposure metering. You'd have to acquire the exposure compensation info for your camera from the screen manufacturer.

Cheers,
Bart

Dave Twigg

Thanks Doug! Next time I don't get any answer to a question I'll keep quiet and try else where...which I did and got a number of responses before the first one here.

Dave

Cem_Usakligil

Hi, Dave,

No, that was a stupid question. (Two, actually.)

Best regards,

Doug

Thanks Doug! Next time I don't get any answer to a question I'll keep quiet and try else where...which I did and got a number of responses before the first one here.

Dave
Dave I think you may have misunderstood Doug. He was alluding to the saying that there are no stupid questions and that all questions are worthy of an answer. Hence, your two inquiries whether the question was stupid or unworthy of an answer were not necessary. One has to to know the fine tone of Doug's humor to understand these remarks properly. :)

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I bought the EE-S screen for my 5Dc. Then I realised that the 5D's need viewfinder shimming, ended up doing that with strips of tape. I still can't focus accurately at f1.4 with anything other than a viewfinder extender but my eyes aren't so great in the first place. I can see why people like the EE-S but at least to me, it's not a huge difference in useability.

It is the common term used in forums to describe the original 5D (classic) rather than the 5DII.

Hi Ben,

It puzzled me as well, I've learned something new. However, I do prefer to stay as close to the official names as possible. Just think about the confusion that this thread could cause when Canon decides to introduce a Classic model sometime in the future. Besides the retro look, it might have a different focus screen, using the latest technology, and then people will google for a 5Dc ..., confusion.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug Kerr

The typographic name octatherp for the glyph '#' was coined by two of my colleagues at AT&T as part of a joke on me. It was not "adopted" or "established" by any official action of AT&T or Bell Telephone laboratories, nor by any industry standards group.

But when we would write in internal memorandums or external articles of the character set on the 12-key Touch-Tone dial, when we would mention the glyph '#', we would attach this footnote: "Often called octatherp".

Best regards,

Doug

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I don't know if you ever went with the brightscreen, I did some research and it seems that the brightscreen screens are rather hit and miss on the 5D (original). Following advice seen elsewhere I bought the Leica R8/R9 split screen which is a good, albeit slightly tight, fit in the 5D. I've more or less given up on the EE-S screen, not sure if it's the lens (very soft wide open makes precise focusing difficult) or my eyes (not that great) or whatever but now I'm going to try split screen. I really want to be able to keep away from needing LV and the necessary tripod just to be able to focus accurately with very fast manual focus lenses.