• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Zeiss Visionar f1.6 100mm mod takes its first walk

Dr Klaus Schmitt

...to the park of course, as it is again sunny today after rain yesterday. Shots taken at different apertures f1.6 - f2.8
This is the lens after modification by adding an aperture to it.

16783561991_21029224d1_o.jpg

16162398194_46be54064e_o.jpg

16164789663_7fc92b7e6f_o.jpg

16783626002_ebfd3ec231_o.jpg

16164788703_c2295f37d7_o.jpg

16598574729_5abac89cbe_o.jpg

Full set is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157648961220894/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am impressed by the sheer richness of the purple-magenta crocuses!

What was this lens intended for. Is it from a projection or lantern lens set up?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

I am impressed by the sheer richness of the purple-magenta crocuses!

What was this lens intended for. Is it from a projection or lantern lens set up?

Asher

Its is the latest and best projection lens Zeiss Jena has ever produced. A 6 element Double Gauss scheme, to project 35mm films, over 80lppm resolution they have.

Asher Kelman

Its is the latest and best projection lens Zeiss Jena has ever produced. A 6 element Double Gauss scheme, to project 35mm films, over 80lppm resolution they have.

Hmmm!

(Ears pricking up)

That sound interesting! what's the coverage at various apertures?

............and how did you solve the aperture challenge?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Hmmm!

(Ears pricking up)

That sound interesting! what's the coverage at various apertures?

............and how did you solve the aperture challenge?

Asher

Haven't tried that out - why shoudl I, covers my camera's sensor nicely ;-)

The aperture was inserted after some mechanical surgery (took months), the barrel thinned and shortened and a focusing helicoid attached also (not shown). Further a front filter thread was added. my lens is an original Calr Zeiss jena one, the two others are ROW (Rathenower Optische Werke) which Zeiss outsourced the production to later on (Zeiss bought ROW)

455_Visionar_100mm_converted_c_1.jpg

The rightmost one is mine....

The leftmost one was done by a famous guy, also doing micro cameras, lenses made out of gemstones etc. Cost was EUR2.000 for that one with two mounts, Canon EOS and Pentax PK.
Middle is the lens of my friend, the one on the right he modified for me.

Asher Kelman

Haven't tried that out - why shoudl I, covers my camera's sensor nicely ;-)

The aperture was inserted after some mechanical surgery (took months), the barrel thinned and shortened and a focusing helicoid attached also (not shown). Further a front filter thread was added. my lens is an original Calr Zeiss jena one, the two others are ROW (Rathenower Optische Werke) which Zeiss outsourced the production to later on (Zeiss bought ROW)

455_Visionar_100mm_converted_c_1.jpg

The rightmost one is mine....

The leftmost one was done by a famous guy, also doing micro cameras, lenses made out of gemstones etc. Cost was EUR2.000 for that one with two mounts, Canon EOS and Pentax PK.
Middle is the lens of my friend, the one on the right he modified for me.

Brilliant work! Am impressed with both the obsession guys have to spend 2000 euro and the ingenuity to repurpose other lens parts. I was thinking of perhaps getting a a Leica helical mount and and adapter to the Sony FE mount, but it would be foolish for me to think about a new solution when you already have one!

Of course I'd like one too! I did a search and found a Dan that's a lover of this lens too!!! BTW, who makes a 65mm PL adapter as some lenes are advertised that they would fit that?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks, Klaus,

It's so helpful to have you here bringing us the photographs of flowers for all of us to experience. The unusual lenses you rehabitate are reminders of the isolation of brilliant lens makers who lacked the commercial advantages of Zeiss from Western Getmany, yet made brilliant advances in optics.

It is a great honor that you share with us the results of your work. It makes sense for us to take advantage of these unsung gems!

Again Thanks,

?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Most welcome, glad if it brings back life to those lens "sleepers", forgotten and neglected - those deserve certainly more respect also in modern times! So much time, dedication and effort has gone into those, brilliant minds, now mostly forgotten, have worked hard, even before computers were invented to give us those gems and advance the art of lens making. Without them, we would not be where we currently are in photography...

I really encourage everybody to buy and read the "Lens Vademecum" which sheds light to those unsung heroes, as well as into the famous names such as Zeiss, Leitz, Voigtlander, TTH, Angenieux etc.
Get it here, well woth the humble $12 by all terms: http://antiquecameras.net/lensvademecum.html There are bootslegs around unfortunately, but please honor the work of the one(s) who have assembled that!